Show us your Door Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show us your Door Thread

I chose to have someone fabricate my door for me. simply because what I designed required precision bending of stainless, welding of a pipe coupling to a sheet of .8mm stainless, thru bolts or sleeves welded in place ---etc. All these things I can do if the equipment or tools are available to me---but it was easier to give a little business to my friend--horsetrade services at no money exchange--we both did things that we enjoyed doing (stresslessly) if that is an English word! As of today, I have welding equipment available to me-- I did an overhaul of a gasoline engine operated welder/ generator --and now I can weld to my hearts content! Even bought a welding hood that immediately changes from clear to tinted when an arc is struck... I am looking forward to a lot of little welding projects--- maybe part of the WFO enclosure and stand construction!!!

A recommendation to any of you hobbyests out there--if you have a little space, get a welder! Fun to make things and also a great hobby!

Comment

Put ceramic fiber into my door tonight along with mounting the thermometer. Still have to seal the edges with stove cement and adhere the rope gasket material to perimeter. That is in the next few days along with the carved wooden handles..

Here are the pics--pretty self explanatory, maybe you can see some of the welds on the door halves before assembly.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	296333

Name:	IMG_0070a.jpg
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	296334

Here are a couple more that you can see the welds required to fabricate this door. Really pretty simple if you have the right tools.

Comment

Nice tig welds by your friend. Did by chance, did you ever ask you copper craftsman friend about possible ways for me to make a starter copper shingle?
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I thought the welds were nice as well. My friend (70) didn't weld it though, his shop foreman has a lot younger eyes and he is really talented. It is amazing to see some of the stuff they make out of stainless for local food manufacturers--nothing they do is standard.

Russell, I did not talk to him about your copper starters, but contact by private message and we can e-mail stuff easily. The first time I baked lots of pizza for friends--he was the "oven master"; I stretched the dough and did toppings. Made 15 pizza on Sunday for some of my neighbors and friends. Did not get the big puff like forno bravo pics but had good crust and fresh toppings.

Still no peels so baking on pizza pans and using pliers to get the pans out--pretty ghetto but lots of good comments on pizza flavor.

His name is Mr. Shindo and he is displaying his work from Sunday!

Name:	IMG_0041a.jpg
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	296336

Name:	IMG_0039a.jpg
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	296337

Shindo is a couple of years younger than me, his hobby is biking--spent the Friday thru Sunday morning at a mountain bike event in Nagano. Came back with some nasty bruises from tipping over. He usually bikes on the highways with his expensive CANNONDALE bike and sporty Italian Racing Team colors.. I usually order "new year fashion and helmets for him from Italy"--he is always dressed with appropriate race ware for the current season. One of the Italian Race team members gave him the label "oji team member"--meaning grandfather... but he still performs well in his age group.

Comment

Still no stand for the WFO, use pipe scaffolding and corrugated sheet metal to keep the rain away... Also doing pizza "Japanese way" --ON YOUR KNEES--
              Brickie might like that comment! At least I have settled on a location for the oven. Need to crash my wood pile structure and make a larger one that will accommodate the oven in the same construction...plan to make it out of 2" square tubing and c channel. Should be cheap enough and keep the weather away. That is the most important thing anyway...not trying to make an architectural statement. Just a simple build.

Comment

Could not find the photos--now OK.
                scaffold WFO cover for week-end.
                wood pile structure to be crashed and rebuilt.
                chimney cap to keep rain out during a downpour! Man did we have rain both Saturday and Sunday--but oven still dry!
                View inside "crack less" oven after maybe 15 hot burns--still "Crack less castable" Harrah!!

Name:	IMG_0049a.jpg
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	296338

Name:	IMG_0052a.jpg
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	296339

Name:	IMG_0054a.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	296340

Name:	IMG_0056a.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	296341

Comment

Nice door Mikku. Very tidy indeed.

You might get your crust to puff some if you back the toppings off a bit from the edge but they do look tasty!
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Have not tried the pizza directly on the brick yet--have to make the right tools. Eventually I will find the right routine and make some very special pizzas---maybe? What we made on Sunday, put smiles on the faces of the youngsters and oldsters that showed up. A fun for all evening --a break from the summer heat!

Comment

Just moving this up to to took ages to find. Looking for ideas.
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Just thought I should link to page 20 on my build. I created 3 doors.
                        I used technology that was quick and easy for me. I did not want to spend days or weeks just for doors. The insulated doors have good thermal conductivity characteristics, as metal is limited to the hot face side.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...-19976-20.html

Hope it helps someone.

Comment

Good to see someone built a portal pot lid door, I never use mine with a live fire but nice job on yours.
                          Chip

Comment

That "pot lid" door is awesome. Any idea what the thermal limits would be with something like that (i.e. what would be too hot)?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
                              That "pot lid" door is awesome. Any idea what the thermal limits would be with something like that (i.e. what would be too hot)?
                              I only use mine for baking bread and such.

The window (pot lid) will become covered in condensation and will drip water on the inside until the temp equalizes.

I have a 550 degree oven max when using it so not sure what the top range is.

BTW ... I do use it in the winter at -10F so the temperature spread in the winter is well over 550F degrees. No Problems with thermal shock so far but I take care not to drop the door in the snow when it is hot.
                              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
                                Hi ATK406

The door is great and use it the most. The photo shows the door in "blast door mode"
                                and inside face is stainless steel around the port hole (pot lid). The photo shows the door pulled back from the oven dome entrance. The thermometer gets to 200c - 250c max. Most of the heat goes up the flue. And think the door would reflect back some heat. It also looks good

My build has a a flared entrance, (its not brick) and has a couple of inches gap around the door in the photo.

Note that it works equity well for baking, and bread, though I am still in the experimental stage with the oven.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X