Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

Originally posted by Les View Post
    The topic comes up often about the effectiveness of a heat break. The issue wasn't even a dream when I built my oven but I am skeptical of how much value they add. At the end of the day, fire brick are not great conductors or insulators of heat. My oven's entry does not get hot as well - I can put my hand on it when the dome has burned clean. We should document the temps from dome center, to halfway to the exit, and exit. I'm curious to see if there is a real payback for the labor (there are obvious variables that will skew the results). What does the forum think? I had no plans on firing the oven up tomorrow but I will do it for the cause.
    The objective of the heat break is to help the oven retain more heat longer - have more heat into the second and third day because less is lost to the heat sink of the entryway. So the real test would be the heat curve for an oven that has/doesn't have a heat break over a couple days. I don't know that heat at the exit would be a great measure - since the gasses are exiting right past the heat break.

That said, I think the labor cost of a heat break is minimal. I don't think I would have saved any time by not including, except maybe the time I waited for my high temp caulk to be delivered since I ordered from a slow vendor.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Nice to have a light in the eves and at the end of the tunnel! Looking Good!
      dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
        So the real test would be the heat curve for an oven that has/doesn't have a heat break over a couple days. I don't know that heat at the exit would be a great measure - since the gasses are exiting right past the heat break.
        Yea, the measurements would have to be after fire. Then the efficiency of the door would come into play. I can slow cook on the third day after fire, just wondering if I would have been able to stretch it out to four.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
          Yea, the measurements would have to be after fire. Then the efficiency of the door would come into play. I can slow cook on the third day after fire, just wondering if I would have been able to stretch it out to four.
          I haven't built my door built yet, but certainly the insulating value of the door is huge. Probably a bigger factor than the heat break.

If I was to guess (which I probably shouldn't), I think the heat break might give you 50-75 degrees higher temps on the 3rd day or something like that. I don't think it would get you a 4th day of cooking temps.
          My build progress

Comment

More progress to report. Was a three-day weekend here in the states, so I got some work done, in addition to firing the oven twice!

I got the fascia board and the roof on the oven house, and the chimney all flashed. I hope that I did that correctly... tough to find really precise instructions for that process and it was the first time I have done it

Mounted all the trim and flashing around the bottom of the oven house. I wanted to have some element there to contrast with the stucco, and also it is a design taken from my house, which has that sort of baseboard trim.

I also poured the concrete that brings the landing height up to the bottom of the oven. I plan to cast a 2.5" thick concrete counter that will be placed on top of that.

I'm working on form designs for the rest of the BBQ area, hope to get that counter and the oven landing poured next weekend.

Electrician is coming on Weds to install the new breaker so that I'll have power to the kitchen area. I also picked up some mortar to mount the stone veneer. Hopefully I will have this thing done by the end of Sept...
            My build progress

Comment

Very excellent progress - and congrats on the fires - It does feel good to actually see flames - and smoke rising up the chimney. Since you have already covered you dome there is a good chance that you won't have any cracks (wink)
              You are finishing strong. I have started making (and serving) pizza which is very fun - but slows the work pace.
              dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
              sigpic

Comment

Today I found a supplier for ebony brick, which I have been trying to find for my decorative arch. Very pleased with this one. My plan is to install full length splits around the entryway like my (badly done) mockup.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	arch mock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	291161
                I am also going to put the same brick around the firewood storage. I think I can do a fake arch with the brick in front of the square entry that I have today. Any guidance on that?
                My build progress

Comment

If you are going to use full length bricks for an arch you need to cut them both sides wedge like, if you dont cut them the mortar joint at the extradoss will be about 1" or wider and it looks ugly.

You will have to work out what the cut will be like I did in the pic.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    If you are going to use full length bricks for an arch you need to cut them both sides wedge like, if you dont cut them the mortar joint at the extradoss will be about 1" or wider and it looks ugly.

You will have to work out what the cut will be like I did in the pic.
                    It should be OK since Dennis is planning on using splits - so the gaps won't be so pronounced - anyway it would be impossible to cut them
                    Amac
                    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Actually, I think I will need to cut them into trapezoids \_/ because I was planning to use the splits with the flat side exposed. I was planning on using splits because I don't want the arch to stick out a full brick from the face of my oven housing. Pretty sure I should be able to cut the angle. I've had plenty of practice
                      My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                        It should be OK since Dennis is planning on using splits - so the gaps won't be so pronounced - anyway it would be impossible to cut them
                        I thought the splits were facing splits?

No such thing as impossible.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I am also going to put the same brick around the firewood storage. I think I can do a fake arch with the brick in front of the square entry that I have today. Any guidance on that?
                          Dennis,
                          I think that you could use "hardie board" or a simular brand, concrete fiber board material to fashion an arched form to attach your "fake" arch.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Al - Facing splits, yes - that's right. I don't always know the right terms

I bought the bricks today. They are ebony "clinkers". I think they are going to look great. I calculated the wedge, and I need to cut them down to 1.4 inches at the bottom (from 2 3/8 at the top)

The bottom arch will be a bit tougher. I test placed the brick and realized I want to have the brick on both the face of the oven and the inside edge of the storage opening. Since the rest of the base will be ~1 1/4 inch thick stone veneer, I probably want facing splits there too, but I still want them to look like a full brick at the corner. So I think I'll need to cut L-shaped "corner" bricks to make it look right.

Gulf - I had been looking at the way you did your lower arch in this post http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...tml#post137306, which was instructive. I guess I could screw a piece of hardieboard behind there to support it.
                            My build progress

Comment

So I think I'll need to cut L-shaped "corner" bricks to make it look right.
                              Good luck with that..... youll need it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                                Good luck with that..... youll need it.
                                Yeah... but I got the brick with the holes in it, which I think will make it easier. Still have the brick saw too...
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X