Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

Hey DJ,

I did not mean to put up on the spot. It is your build. But if you are interested, Cheng goes over accents on some of his YouTube videos. It is at least worth looking at. Even one or two color stones/crystals/fossils or accent could add bang to you hearth.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Even one or two color stones/crystals/fossils..
      funny you should mention "fossil" Russel. I tamped in a small limestone fossil at the back of the oven - just to see how it would turn out after grinding.
      I never saw it again
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Insert part A
        Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000117.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	291428

Into slot B

Name:	WP_000118.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	291426

Probably should have used solids, but that was a sh!tload of cutting! I hope this works.
        Last edited by deejayoh; 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: rotate picture
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

It fit! I am pretty happy with the results. I am amazed how much mortar one uses with regular bricks! About 100 pounds just to do that. Course, I had a coule of restarts...

Name:	WP_000119.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	291439
          My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post

Probably should have used solids, but that was a sh!tload of cutting! I hope this works.
            You don't want to use solids for this type of brick work - cores are stronger. Looks great!
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
              It fit! I am pretty happy with the results.
              [ATTACH]31764[/ATTACH]
              Wow! An excellent result!
              dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Hey DJ,

........if you are interested, Cheng goes over accents on some of his YouTube videos. It is at least worth looking at. Even one or two color stones/crystals/fossils or accent could add bang to you hearth.
                Let me echo Russell on this. "It is your build". This is one of those moments where your own creativity comes in to play. With the "up side down method" the sky is the limit.

I am planning to use "cross section" sea shells and some "home made fossils" (if I can figure that one out) .

Cheng, Buddy Rhodes, and a host of others out there have run the gamut on ideas. It is up to us to figure out what will accent our ovens without going "over board".

However, with all that is going on with the complexity of a pompeii, I don't think that a plain concrete gray counter would take away from the final product: a WFO

Just preaching to myself .

PS, Great job! on the arch. I wouldn't call that a "faux arch". That is the real deal .
                Last edited by Gulf; 09-21-2012, 04:58 AM.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

wow, nice brick arch. I am pouring counters tomorrow....wish me luck!
                  Russell

Comment

Drystack stone veneer started going in today. Lots of cutting/tweaking - but I am pleased with the way it is turning out. Looks like I am going to have a bit of scrubbing the brick with Muriatic acid ahead of me though
                    My build progress

Comment

Looks great
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

Very nice stone work.
                        Russell

Comment

Thanks Russell and Irelande

I got a bit more of the stone laid yesterday, but spent a whole lotta time fitting the cabinet door. It's coming out better than I had hoped.

Off to HF this morning to pick up some supplies. I am taking the week off to finish up as much as I can before the weather goes south here. Expect to see lots of progress updates.
                          My build progress

Comment

Beautiful, Dennis! Is there a name to the ledgestone you're installing? I really like the look.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                              Beautiful, Dennis! Is there a name to the ledgestone you're installing? I really like the look.
                              I am not 100% sure because I got it as a leftover from a friend's backyard kitchen install - but I think it is "Realstone"

It's pretty easy to work with
                              My build progress

Comment

Phew!! Lots of work done this week. I didn't post any updates because the progress was slow. Stone work and finish brick work takes forever.

I got most of the veneer on, and my decorative arch is now in place. I also mounted all the stainless storage doors/drawers in the kitchen area.

Name:	WP_000141.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	291575

I had hoped to get my counters poured tomorrow, but it is looking like that will be a sunday activity instead. I lost a day to digging out the bamboo that had grown under a retaining wall in into my yard. It grew thru 4 feet of dirt! I dug a 5 foot deep hole, picked out all the rhizome I could find, and poured in some herbicide for good measure (I don't have anything growing that deep...) Capped the place where it got into my yard with 8 inches of concrete. Hopefully that will do the trick! Running bamboo is not something you want in your yard around here. It grows all too well.

Tomorrow I will get my forms all corner caulked, the reinforcement in place, the concrete on site, and the pigment weighed in prep for an early sunday pour.

Wish me luck
                                Last edited by deejayoh; 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM. Reason: bamboo
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X