Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I have tried AAC in direct flame contact, it does not survive. I am interested in your results with foamed refractory cement.
    I've often wondered, has anyone tried the same thing with vermicrete?
    It is portland based as well, would it survive direct flame?
    Dave, start that new thread, I find this discussion very interesting.

Comment

I have tried it with perlite which it the same mineral as vermiculite and it does not survive either. The common thread, obviously, is porltand cement. CA cement may work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        soaps are detrimental to concrete using portland cement
        Tom, you seem to be the guru on all things related to brickwork/masonry/concrete, can you please point me to the scientific research you have used for the basis of you opinion of not using detergents in brickwork/masonry/concrete?

Much obliged.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Deejayoh, your build looks great, I was looking at hardibacker, which I would prefer, but it states its not rated for exterior, so was leaning towards wonderboard, what are your thoughts.

Can I ask where you got your stainless roll out and doors? Was looking at a roll out or tilt out, but was worried actual can size would be really small, what dimensions are the garbage can?

Take care, pat
          Last edited by irelande5; 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM.
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

DJ
            Man, you do good work. the counters look great and i think the color is perfect with your veneer layer.
            I got lost in all the discussion of plasticizers and the other big words being bantered about.
            So did you decide to polish? You are finishing a very nice setup. ]
            Tracy
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by irelande5 View Post
              Hi Deejayoh, your build looks great, I was looking at hardibacker, which I would prefer, but it states its not rated for exterior, so was leaning towards wonderboard, what are your thoughts.

Can I ask where you got your stainless roll out and doors? Was looking at a roll out or tilt out, but was worried actual can size would be really small, what dimensions are the garbage can?

Take care, pat
              Pat - I used hardieboard/panel - which is exterior rated. It comes in 4 x 8, 9, or 10 foot sheets - as opposed to hardiebacker which comes in 3 x 5 sheets and is intended as an interior tile backer. Wonderboard is fine, but tough to work with.

As to the doors - I got them from Amazon, of all places! I shopped around quite a bit and they had the best price for what I wanted. The brand is RCS. The quality is surprisingly good. The garbage can unit I ordered is this one
              Amazon.com: RCS Stainless Steel Pull Out Trash Drawer: Home & Kitchen

I haven't sourced a trash can yet, but it seems to be a standard 13g size.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                DJ
                Man, you do good work. the counters look great and i think the color is perfect with your veneer layer.
                I got lost in all the discussion of plasticizers and the other big words being bantered about.
                So did you decide to polish? You are finishing a very nice setup. ]
                Tracy
                Tracy -
                thanks. I am polishing. I got up to 400 grit on one section today. It is looking pretty good. The edges are a bit dodgy, but I guess it will just be "rustic". On the color - it did not turn out quite as dark as I wanted so I think I am going to apply a black stain. We'll see. I wanted it to be almost black
                Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	291740
                BTW, As you can see in the picture, I have finished installing the veneer all the way up to the countertops last week and I think it looks great. I wish I would have taken a better picture of that. Makes all the difference in the world to not have any open patches

The upside down pour for the oven landing did not come out as well. I have lots of bugholes. Still working on that one! I hope to get both counter pieces polished up to 800 grit tomorrow and then do a slurry layer for the bugholes. I want to finish with 1500 grit on Thursday. Friday it is supposed to start raining here and who knows when that will end!
                Last edited by deejayoh; 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM.
                My build progress

Comment

Hey DJ,

Lookin nice. I just polished off my slurry coat last night at the 400 grit level. It took care of most of the bug holes as well as the porous sides. I had polished to 400, slurried, let dry for several days then polished with 800, starting to get a sheen now. Mix a small dry batch of portland and colorant and when ready to slurry added a fortifier. Counter bottoms look very nice............
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

More progress today. I got all the countertops polished up to 800 grit. What a mess that makes! I had puddles of concrete mud all over my patio. I got most of it cleaned up, but it was a pain

I applied a concrete slurry to all the bugholes. I am amazed at how well it seems to have hidden them! I may need to do one more pass with the slurry for the big holes, but the edges and problem areas look 100% better than when I started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000164.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	291754Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000165.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	291755Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000166.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	291756

Tomorrow I will be taking another pass with the 800 grit, and then hopefully a final pass with 1500 grit.

I am thinking I am going to try to outsource the stucco on my oven house. I am getting tired, and that is a skill I don't think I am going to reuse. I do think I will try to do concrete counter work again though. It's pretty cool.

BTW - getting rid of that cyclone fencing and hiding the kids toys from my view is my next project!
                    My build progress

Comment

DeeJay,
                      Just a little word of encouragement.
                      Take a little rest, and do some research, before you decide to outsource the stucco.
                      Yours is all a straight wall, and standard mesh and standoff application.
                      You can do it .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

DJ
                        FWIW-I met a stucco guy last night that is starting on mine this weekend. So if you do decide to hire it out, I am with you there. It isn't the skill so much, it is the TIME. I have grossly exceeded my time allotted for absence from the family life as i have been told. Also i am just ready for it to be done.
                        Gulf
                        You are right. After building an oven, i think this would be manageable for sure. But the thought of writing a check and actually using all this stuff we have built is very enticing at this point instead of it dragging on through another spring and summer. Yes-i am lazy, too.
                        Tracy
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                          DJ
                          ...........After building an oven, i think this would be manageable for sure. But the thought of writing a check and actually using all this stuff we have built is very enticing at this point instead of it dragging on through another spring and summer.............
                          Tracy
                          Tracy,
                          I can surely respect that . But, I don't think that anyone who has followed your build believes the lazy part .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf - I take your point. I'm still thinking about it. I have the felt paper and bought the lath - so I am halfway there.

Tracy - interested to hear - how big of check are you writing?
                            My build progress

Comment

not sure, materials around $150 and labor by the hour. He is doing a plaster looking finish w/ color and a molding at the top next to the ceiling. He thinks 30 hours @ $15hr. I will let you know the final tally. Seems like a lot of hours, but i think he was guessing high trying to CYA. I did the hourly instead of bid #, i think it usually works out better for both. But, if it takes him 30, it would take me longer for sure.
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

30 hours? Does he only have one arm?

Comment

Working...
                                X