Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

Great info Brickie and Tex! thanks.

Got the brown coat all on today. Cleaned up the brick on the arch and chimney. I think she's looking pretty good! I kind of like the taupe shade of the wet brown coat, but SO says something lighter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	293707
    I'm headed to the concrete supply tomorrow to look for acrylic final coat + coloring.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Gorgeous! Wow - love the landing, the stone is breathtaking...beautiful!
      My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

DJ,

The mosaic turned out very nice along with the polished concrete. How's the foot doing?
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          DJ,

The mosaic turned very nice along with the polished concrete. How's the foot doing?
          Thanks Russell. I am pretty ambulatory now, but still rehabbing. Because of where the bone spur was, they had to detach/reattach my achilles, which means it's at least six months to get back to a normal activity level. It's been a rough patch, but definitely improving.

We had our annual "spring tease" here - a week of great weather that make you think summer is about to start. Today we are slammed back into reality:

Name:	weather.png
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	293716
          My build progress

Comment

I like the stucco/stone combination, and the brick color compliments the veneer nicely too.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Sucker hole here too. A few nice days but suppose to be rainy this weekend too. What did you coat your counters with? I was not pleased with the Lithium sealant I used and going to take off after I get the dome done since I have to repair my counters due to winter damage.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I initially used some sealer that I bought from the concrete supply store. But after the winter, I have started using "Butcher Block Sealer" from Home Depot.

I did a bit of research on the concrete counter forums on what they recommended, and there seemed to be the most consensus on beeswax+carnuba wax. The Butcher Block Sealer was one product recommended as food safe.

I have taken to treating the counters every month or so. It keeps up the water resistance and leaves a nice rich glow. The sealer is pretty cheap - I think it was $9 a bottle, and I am guessing I can get maybe six treatments out of a bottle. Side benefit is that it works really well on wooden peels and cutting boards too.
                My build progress

Comment

Got a bit more nice weather, so I was able to finish the stucco. Yeah! Now it's just a bit of quarter round trim in the eaves, pea gravel around the base, some cleanup - and I am off to the "what's cooking" section full time.

Here's the housing pre-stucco, all taped off because I make a mess with a trowel

Name:	WP_000310.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	293778
                  90lbs of stucco mix - probably 30lbs more than I needed. But it comes in bags that size.

Name:	WP_000311.jpg
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	293779
                  And the finished product

Name:	WP_000312.jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	293780Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000314.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	293781

And just because I have one picture left - here's the baguettes I made yesterday! They came out pretty well for my first try - but I think I needed my oven a bit hotter because the crust wasn't as golden as I would have liked

Name:	WP_000308.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	293782
                  My build progress

Comment

Very nice work, it looks great.
                    Baguettes are often cooked a bit hotter and faster, they are thinner and the heat can penetrate to their centres more easily.
                    This is good for WFO's because it takes the sting out of the oven so the next batch of bigger loaves can be loaded in and cooked at a slightly lower temp.
                    I read somewhere that the pizza was actually originally a bakers snack that was cooked hot and fast before they loaded their ovens with other breads.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Looks great DJ,

One day I hope to have a finished look .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

10 out of 10 for effort.
                        Have an elephant stamp.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Looks great! The attention to detail in the finish is an elephant stamp earner alright!

That's setting the bar right up there.

Congratulations............... Steve
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I got the last bits of touch-up paint onto the oven and power-washed the patio last week. With the stretch of nice weather we are having here in Seattle, I was finally able to get some higher res shots of my 100% complete oven and kitchen

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	294554 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	294555

Total time elapsed on the project was about 15 months - but I took about 6 months off for the winter. Total budget was about $8.5k, but more than half of that was for the shiny stainless bits and the barbeque. Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance along the way. I'm looking forward to getting a lot of use out of this in the coming years.
                            My build progress

Comment

Great job DJ!

A very beautiful oven which makes me think of the "F word".........Finished .

Maybe, one day, I can use that same word for the MQ .

It's fun to see a "finished" oven that I have watched from the very beginning .

Again, great job! I've learned from your build, and others will too.
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

DJ it looks pretty balanced with the amount of stainless, brick and stucco etc.

nice work
                                Cheers
                                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                                X