Starting new 36" build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

WOW is all that i can say, such good looking oven space.

Comment

Hi Dennis,
      You've got a really nice setup there. I am curious about your chimney finish. Could you provide the dimensions of your chimney chase? Is it the size of the duravent chase flashing? And what is the height of the chase flashing from the roof peak?

Thanks!
      John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Originally posted by jbruning View Post
        Hi Dennis,
        You've got a really nice setup there. I am curious about your chimney finish. Could you provide the dimensions of your chimney chase? Is it the size of the duravent chase flashing? And what is the height of the chase flashing from the roof peak?
        Thanks! That chimney chase was one of the more difficult calcs in the oven. I used the duravent flashing, which is 21.75" on each side. It's brick splits mortared onto lath over cement board. I tried to size the chase so that the final size of the brick would fit just inside the flashing - but somewhere I screwed up by an inch or so, as the brick is slightly larger than the flashing. I just used a grinder at the top to cut it back a bit so that the flashing nestles in there.

I think the top of the chase is only 6 inches or so above the peak of the roof.. The hard part is working out the height of the roof, the angle of the roof, and the length of flue you need so that it all looks right. My #1 concern was that the corners of the eaves be high enough that I would not hit my head on them. They're 75". Then I played around with the pitch of the roof in sketchup til I was satisfied with the look. I didn't want it too flat. That pretty much dictated the chase height since I had only sprung for 42" of flue and there needs to be clearance above the flashing. Even at that, I had to cut the storm flashing smaller to still have it fit.

End of the day, I am pleased with the profile - but it was a pain to get the way I wanted it.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thank you. That is a big help. I'm a ways away from that yet but I am starting to think about my options and the items you mentioned - pitch, flue length, eave height etc. is where I am at right now. I am also playing around with sketchup to see how the different proportions look. I have found that application to be extremely useful throughout this project.
          John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Did not want to hijack the other thread so............

Well the paw must be feeling better. I retired from teaching at Snowbird (20 years) but I still know the resort. I can't say I will not go back but not until I retire from my real job. So maybe we can go tear it up! I have been a slug at finishing the dome and fall is definitely here so need to kick @#$
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Good call on the change of venue. I was thinking it was your thread when I posted. I did remember that snowbird bit. And the foot is healing. I'm able to hike, bike, and jump rope. No running yet. I should be back on the board by January if there are no setbacks.

Do get that dome finished! I am loving being able to use my oven and not think about what I need to do next
              My build progress

Comment

Congratulations, on the win!.......... Although, I am sorry that ya'll had to "totally" embarass one of Archies' boys like that . But, it wasn't the "Hawks" job too keep the score down .
                Last edited by Gulf; 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The game was well reported in Aus. It probably has a fan base here too but I am sure that since the under dogs got up it would have been popular with those who like to see the long odds come home.

I am sure that the occasion has spawned a lot of good food from the forno and we all look forward to seeing the outcomes.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    Congratulations, on the win!.......... Although, I am sorry that ya'll had to "totally" embarass one of Archies' boys like that . But, it wasn't the "Hawks" job too keep the score down .
                    Thanks Gulf. I went to the parade yesterday. It was CRAZY! There were people 25 deep both sides of the street the whole route, plus another 100k in the stadiums.

We ended up not firing the oven for the SB. Went to a party at a friends. I didn't want to miss one minute of the game!
                    My build progress

Comment

Did you happen to see this kid at the parade?

A very heart warming story from ya'lls "left coast" .
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Checking back in with a couple updates. I've been working on finishing up details in the backyard all spring, it feels like it is finally shaping up.

I installed a cedar fence and flowerbed where there once was an ugly old cyclone fence

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-02 10.24.20 (800x600).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	304738

from this

Name:	Kitchen complete (800x600).jpg
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	304740

Also finally got my oven tools hung up.

Name:	2014-06-02 10.24.52 (600x800).jpg
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	304739

Next project is a string of retro-style patio lights around the dining area. I am super excited to get these installed.

Last edited by deejayoh; 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM.
                        My build progress

Comment

Nice little details on cedar fence. I see the retro filament lights are the rage right now. I look at one the other day but the light bulb cost gave me sticker price shock.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            Nice little details on cedar fence. I see the retro filament lights are the rage right now. I look at one the other day but the light bulb cost gave me sticker price shock.
                            Budget Lighting Inc.

Less than a buck each for the bulbs and under $100 for the bulbs + a 48' heavy light string after applying coupon codes. Plus free shipping. The box just showed up at my door and first impression is that the quality seems quite good!

btw - We are going to be passing through SLC next week on our way to the Grand Canyon. Not sure what the schedule looks like, but if the stars align, maybe we could arrange a viewing?
                            My build progress

Comment

Dennis well done - you are a credit to the class of... was it 12 .. really nice finish - I'm still under tarp - trying to decide
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Great job. Congratulations.

No more words required.
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X