X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Budget Build 36"

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Bevan,
    Like David, I think that your double barrel side/by/side flu's do look great. But, I am wondering if your artwork is true to scale. What size brick are you representing in your pic? I am thinking that you will end up with a much wider chimney than what I see in your artwork. Not, that it is a problem, just something to consider.

Just Sayin'
    Very good point!

I think if I can use 1/2 bricks (2 inch wide) for the chimney brick work the total width would be 16 inches. So instead of the 'brick and a half' width, it would be 2 bricks.

Hopefully that width is not too dominating.

Of course that is assuming I can use half bricks without issue...which I have no idea about

Thanks for you comments and please do point out things I may have over looked.

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

This is where my build takes a different path from most of you guys.

I have begun building the dome, but not using any cuts. And because I am using pavers with a rounded top edge the mortar joints look bigger than I hoped.

I also decided to make some changes based on info I have found on the fourm, such as more sand in my poor man's mortar and not wetting the bricks.

I would like to shorten my IT at some point soon to start bringing the dome closer in. This is because the pivot point of the tool is higher and if I don't bring it in I will end up with a 19" high dome. Better to do it a couple of times to make the transition smoother and earlier right?

If these are mistakes please let me know!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	786.0 KB
ID:	297548

Name:	DSC03174.jpg
Size:	915.7 KB
ID:	297549

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Are your pavers concrete? If so I see a problem.

Sorry, did not see conversation on clay in prior posts....
        Last edited by mrchipster; 09-25-2013, 04:08 AM. Reason: Updated comments
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          Are your pavers concrete? If so I see a problem.
          Nope, clay pavers fired to 1200c. They should be fine. There was a run down on them and the other options a few pages back.

Bevan

Comment

I am scared to post photos of my recent progress. I'm just after an oven to cook some pizza's well, so it's not pretty!

Name:	DSC03177.jpg
Size:	801.5 KB
ID:	297550

Name:	DSC03178.jpg
Size:	778.6 KB
ID:	297551

Name:	DSC03179.jpg
Size:	818.9 KB
ID:	297552

Name:	DSC03180.jpg
Size:	865.8 KB
ID:	297553

Name:	DSC03181.jpg
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	297554

Gravity is starting to be a real PITA with keeping the bricks in place, so I think it is time to retire the IT and seek out a swiss exercise ball to finish the dome off.

When am I able to remove the arch form? Should be fine tomorrow right?

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Gudday Bevan
              It's looking pretty good from the photos. Leave the arch form for a week if possible . You ripping ahead compared to most builds so a little wait is alright.
              One thing you might try on the oven entrance is to clear the mortar off with a bucket of water and sponge. You'll find it impossible to remove when dry.
              Again great progress
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

You may like to try this approach some cheap cramps and wood/leftover brick cramp the wood to the brick you are trying to lay

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
                  You may like to try this approach some cheap cramps and wood/leftover brick cramp the wood to the brick you are trying to lay
                  That is pretty cool! I don't have any cramps on hand unfortunately. Amazing solution, I never could have thought of that

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    Gudday Bevan
                    It's looking pretty good from the photos. Leave the arch form for a week if possible . You ripping ahead compared to most builds so a little wait is alright.
                    One thing you might try on the oven entrance is to clear the mortar off with a bucket of water and sponge. You'll find it impossible to remove when dry.
                    Again great progress
                    Regards dave
                    Thanks Dave,

I whipped back outside and gave the arch a wipe down and now it looks much better.

That's is a shame about the arch form needing to hang around so long, as I wanted to position the valve of the exercise ball in the entry for easy inflation and deflation when the dome is complete.

Oh and should of I mortared the arch to the floor? Because I didn't. Hopefully it will stay put because it is tied into the dome?

Thanks

Bevan
                    Last edited by Laspaz; 09-26-2013, 01:19 AM. Reason: Wrong word

Comment

You can remove the arch for the next day if you want too.....
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
                        Ha! I guess that would work... everyone says the air is doing the insulation. I wonder what sort of strength would remain after the peanuts melt.

I though the pumice was a lot like a rice crispy treat (rice bubble bar)...

Bevan
                        My guess is that the resulting layer would be very weak unless the foam peanuts were broken down into tiny pieces. But smaller voids and more cement would reduce the insulation properties. Large voids and a network of Portland would quickly degrade from the heat if it was used as a direct contact insulator.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                        John Ruskin

Comment

I removed my arch form a few hours after mortaring - so that I could clean up the underside of the arch before the mortar went completely hard. I had no issues.

My theory is that the mortar is under compressive load and if the arch is properly built then the mortar is really simply taking the compressive load and not really holding the arch together. The compressive strength of mortar is pretty high within a few hours (of course it gets much higher over the following days and weeks.) The Romans built plenty of arches with no mortar at all and a lot of them are still standing!

Comment

With the small arches that these ovens have, pulling the form early isn't going to effect it much. When you get into larger spans and more mass then the centering needs to stay in place longer.

As a point of interest, Roman arch building was very rarely built dry. Even if there was no visible mortar, the voussoirs had joggles filled with lead or cementitous material.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

Hey Gang,

I decided to remove the form quickly and get the exercise ball in place, and the n put the form back in place. The arch held, fingers crossed that I haven't made it weaker by messing with it.

Name:	DSC03183.jpg
Size:	714.7 KB
ID:	297571

I had quite a bit of trouble with the ball and wouldn't use it next time. The ball needed to be at low pressure to have the shape I wanted. This made it really difficult to keep the bricks at a nice even level (and prevented me from being able to see)

I tried to use full bricks to weigh down the center of the ball making the pressure around the edge where the bricks were being placed higher.

Name:	DSC03184.jpg
Size:	990.0 KB
ID:	297572

The result was the top inside of the dome being quite uneven and quite disappointing. I guess that is another benefit of a cut brick vs. a uneven bolster cut one, you can know the inside profile based on the outside somewhat. I don't think this should limit the operation of the oven.

Either way, 266 half pavers later the dome is closed. I ended up with a 17" internal height and I am quite happy about that. I tried to make sure the dome had a more flat final few courses.

Name:	DSC03185.jpg
Size:	767.9 KB
ID:	297573

Name:	DSC03186.jpg
Size:	874.8 KB
ID:	297574

Name:	DSC03187.jpg
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	297575

Name:	DSC03196.jpg
Size:	807.1 KB
ID:	297576

I did have to hammer in the keystone (stones) pretty firmly so I felt reasonably calm about removing the exercise ball right away. Hopefully she holds

Now I supposed to leave it to dry out for a week before starting curing fires right? Can I build the vent and outer arch while I am waiting?

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
                                Can I build the vent and outer arch while I am waiting?
                                You sure can.
                                Exceedingly quick build..
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X