• Show
Clear All

Re: Fireplace Below/Pizza Oven Above

I just posted the pictures to Flicker.

Here is the link:

Witness Patio Pizza Oven - a set on Flickr

Comment

I'm also interested in building a oven with fire below.

I have seen these available, they claim to reach 350C in 35min. I'm assuming they have less thermal mass.

I was thinking of building something between this and the Japanese oven on page 1.

I'm interested in comments on the following

1. will fire below oven get as hot and cook pizza as well as a traditional
      pizza oven?
      2. if I use less thermal mass with good insulation will the oven heat up faster and get hot enough. I'm not worried about cooking in it over night or the next morning so I don't see any advantage in it being hot a day after the fire has gone out.

thanks for you input

Comment

Unbelievable! Mechanical cooking tray? WOW!

Do you keep a fire going while you cook? How long does the dome retain heat? I'm loving the creativity. I got derailed last summer, but plan on starting my chimney/oven this summer after vacation once the kids are out of school here. I have my slab framed and re-bared out. Just need someone to come pour it.

Comment

i just built a 36" rumford fireplace with a brick oven above and off to the side. due to chimney constraints i could only fit an 18" oven in the width that i had to play with. my experience is that you need a great deal of width due to the flue for the rumford and the thickness of the oven. i'm still in the process of finishing the flue inside the oven (i built a damper mechanism and have to finish the transition of the dome to the flue). i'm not sure how well this oven is going to work to cook pizza, but it should work very well as a bbq/roasting oven! this is the first and probably last oven i ever build and i found it to be quite interesting. i will try to post some pics of the whole process and be interested in what people think!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by sqv View Post

i just built a 36" rumford fireplace with a brick oven above and off to the side. due to chimney constraints i could only fit an 18" oven in the width that i had to play with. my experience is that you need a great deal of width due to the flue for the rumford and the thickness of the oven. i'm still in the process of finishing the flue inside the oven (i built a damper mechanism and have to finish the transition of the dome to the flue). i'm not sure how well this oven is going to work to cook pizza, but it should work very well as a bbq/roasting oven! this is the first and probably last oven i ever build and i found it to be quite interesting. i will try to post some pics of the whole process and be interested in what people think!

Rob
            Any updates on this?

Comment

Anyone tried to build a fireplace with a pizza oven on top? If so, was it successful? I have thought of this idea for a long time, but got sceptical to my design after reading comments on the topic. I am most worried for smoke exiting the fireplace in the front. I do not need an oven in restaurant quality and it does not need to be hot for many hours. Any comments on my design?
              Hi. I want to build a combined outdoor fireplace and pizza oven, but i'm not sure if my design will be successful. The oven will be made out of cinder blocks, firebrick and a metal flue pipe. The gap between the open fireplace and pizza oven can be closed with additional firebrick. The chimney opening will

Comment

https://www.tulikivi.com/julkaisut/p...012/KO1154.pdf

This is a very clever Finnish design for soapstone heater/fireplace with bake oven. Fires can be placed in either firebox. Bake oven is a bit small but beautiful stoves. Maybe the design could be adapted for your purposes

Comment

Don’t know why fireplace glue couldn’t enter pizza oven from rear and exit through pizza oven flue. Could be a two door system , one that closes off flue and one further out to allow fireplace fumes to go up pizza oven flue. Could be used as a smoker cooker maybe?

Comment

Hi Forum,
                    I am almost finished with my second Fireplace/pizza oven. I took a different approach this time. A Rumsford fireplace on the bottom with a 32" Pompei style oven on top. I achieved this by splitting the chimney of the Rumsford around the entry to the oven. Both flues are separate but encased in one chimney shape. So far, test firing has had excellent exhausting of smoke. The oven cooks perfectly and holds heat of 300 degrees for 3 days.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting solution. Do you have a concrete supporting slab and insulation under the oven cooking floor?
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yes to both. Concrete with rebar for the supporting walls. I used 2" ceramic board under the oven with sand set firebrick on top. I attached a couple of build pics.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The reason I asked is because another member attempting a similar solution about a year ago, had a problem in that the flames from the fireplace impinged directly on the underside of the ovens concrete supporting slab which caused its severe cracking. I hope you have considered this possibility. The addition of fine pp burnout fibres in the concrete is a possible solution. The original invention of this use was to give concrete buildings a measure (not surety) of fire protection which causes catastrophic steam spalling. Later taken up in the use of castable refractory concretes.
                          Last edited by david s; 09-01-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Great point! If you look at the picture with the insulation, you can see that the chimney split for the fireplace is not under the actual oven. I hope we are OK!

Comment

Very interesting design. Would be great to see it all completed!
                              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by pacificfurn View Post
                                Great point! If you look at the picture with the insulation, you can see that the chimney split for the fireplace is not under the actual oven. I hope we are OK!
                                Ok, sorry I’m away from home and only have mobile access and I can’t seem to access your pics too well. Love to hear how it all works. Seems like you’ve planned it well.

Comment

Working...
                                X