No announcement yet.

pizza oven becomes a kiln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truly Awesome David! I think Gaudi would really be honored to have been chosen as the inspiration for your "kiln temple aka intergalactic explorer". I think it gives us all a fresh look at what a humble kiln or WFO has at its heart...graceful art that showcases the pleasure we all experience with our ovens! Thank you for this thread.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the accolades Mike. I'm a firm believer in form following function and feel satisfied that in this case it's worked out.
      Dave
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David, that is very beautiful and inspiring! Great thread!
        George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Finally finished.

Comment

G'day Davids
            Great to see the finished product. Love the bell. And love the gothic structure, none to common in nth QLD.
            regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I've finally built a workbench to fit the shape and moved most of my outside stuff under cover.

Comment

David,

Very unique structure. Reminds me of Gaudi buildings in Barcelona, Spain. I guess if is your hot summer time right now in Townsville, Queensland. Is the kiln working well?
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yes Russell it was inspired by our visit to Barcelona in 2015. Learnt about Gaudi in art school but had never seen any of his buildings in the flesh. I've always been a big Art Nouveau fan.
                  Townsville is stinking hot and very humid now. We turn on the aircon at 8 am. Outside work needs to be done between 5-7 am or 5-7 pm. With temps in low 30's C combined with 90% humidity, it's quite oppressive. Kiln is working well.
                  Last edited by david s; 01-20-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

As there's been a bit of talk about firing
                    , I thought some members may be interested in the firing schedule of my kiln yesterday. The graph also shows cool down. Fired to 1100C (2012F) in 6 hrs with fuel consumption of around 5Kg LPG. and 200C (392F) 24 hrs later.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1196.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	755.0 KB ID:	432009
                    Last edited by david s; 10-22-2020, 12:33 AM.

Comment

That's really cool David! (Or should I say - really hot!)
                      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0013 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	446610 Fired the kiln again today 1120 C. The second pic shows the pyrometric cone squatting through the spy hole. .
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_97207.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	446609
                        Last edited by david s; 05-17-2022, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Glad to see you are still doing ceramics, I'm guessing a stoneware fire.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

No, only an earthenware firing to 1120C. Mostly the terracotta caps for my ovens and some other bits and pieces from grandkids as well as some Ibises I’m doing for a proposed installation.
                            Last edited by david s; 05-17-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Very impressive. When I was at University I would while away the hours at the potting wheel in the craft center. Have often thought of getting back into it. Maybe after this damn pizza oven is completed.

Comment

Spy hole bung. Note the fired shank in the insulating door panel, while the knob, exposed to ambient air remains unfired.Kiln fired to 1120C

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0165.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	449998

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	449999

Comment

Working...
                                X