Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day V12
    Man it's good to hear your alive.
    Now problems with a woman. Sorry that's definitly above my pay grade as gulf would say. Oven problems, now bring those on, there more what I can handle.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

• Words fail me, Very sorry to here things didn't work out with the missus.
      Regards,
      Mick

Comment

• Teared the cladding down and welded an outer steel wall so a new cladding would be filled in between while leaving the 15 steel blades radiating from the inner wall intact.
        Attached Files
        Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
        I forgot who said that.

Comment

• Enlarged the vent, welded a 15*15 cm sqare vent. That is 3+ times more draft space than my previous vent. Still adhering to squirrel tail design resisting the temptation to not to. I know Im more interested in fast heat up time than in retained heat. That is why.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by v12spirit; 02-10-2016, 05:04 AM.
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

• Cladding.. Three pieces in the dome with three analogous on the side walls, separated by aluminun tape to allow for managed expansion and in hope to minimize miniscules. Was generous in cladding the dome; could reach 6 cm around the squirrel tail. The theory is that the massive low dome will compensate for the thin hearth; being steel it will heat up fast and being thick will retain heat for longer allowing the thin hearth to heat up fast and keep hot with the aid of the radiated heat from the low steel "massive" dome.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by v12spirit; 02-10-2016, 05:08 AM.
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

• Extending thermometer probe. A copper tube was used at 3-4 o'clock passing two of the steel blades and obviously surrounded by refractory in hope to get a relatively average reading of heat. The probe will engage into the end of the tube. You can see the thermometer in the second picture.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by v12spirit; 02-10-2016, 05:33 AM.
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

• V12Spirit,

It's great! to see you back and busy again on the oven. The new forum takes a little time to get familiar with. I don't mind clicking on the links to see your pics. But, if you will use the camera icon rather than the attachment icon, the pics will be visible as thumbnails.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Hellow Joe,
                  Thanks for the warm welcome, and for the hint as well. Have been wondering why the pictures did not appear.
                  I forgot who said that.

Comment

• I can't help feeling that you are defeating your original intention of producing a fast heat up oven. While steel is way more thermally conductive than any refractory it also works in the other direction in that it will lose heat much faster too. By adding a layer of refractory cladding that heat will be stored there but now having added a layer of steel on the outside any stored heat in the refractory wil be sucked to the outside steel layer so insulation outside this second steel layer becomes more imperative. As a rough guide heat takes around one hour per inch of thickness to travel through refractory, so the thickness of this layer will be a determining factor in the heat up and performance of your oven.
                    Last edited by david s; 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Actually the walls are 3 cm thick and the hearth is 2. Didn't think of that effect of the outer steel wall. I just thought that the outer walls being steel in contact with the steel of the inner walls will absorb heat from the inner ones and contribute to heating the refractory in between from both sides, and consequently accelerating heatup time, not to mention the steel blades radiating from the inner walls half the way into the refractory. Not sure, just was my thought. Can't wait to see how this thing is going to perform.
                      I forgot who said that.

Comment

• Just make sure you insulate it well.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• By chance, I came across a pile of used dense firebricks and bought the entire 450 blocks. I removed my red bricks of the hearth and replaced them with the new used ones after slicing them in half, that is 2.8 cm thick hearth.
                          I forgot who said that.

Comment

• Installed the ceramic insulation 2" on the walls and about 3~4" over the dome. Was easier than expected.
                            Last edited by v12spirit; 03-13-2016, 12:39 AM.
                            I forgot who said that.

Comment

• V12
                              Thanks for the posts. The question as always is how does it cook.
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

• Can't wait to see that. Still curing, could hit 250 degrees C yesterday. I am curing this time with the insulation on. I think there is still moisture in the ceramic blancket.
                                I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                                X