Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Originally posted by marnun View Post
    Hi Joey, Oven looks great. Thank you for posting your build for everyone to see. Can you tell us how much you spent on the oven? Also, do you know what the final weight is?
    I didn't track the cost too well, I think I am under $1,400 on the entire cost just from adding it up in my head. The most exppensive part was the castable $ 350
    the tires $ 60
    the axle $ 170
    perlcrete $ 250
    Leg &- $ 50
    -hitch
    Frame- $ 125
    -steel
    paint $ 10
    Total $1,015
    (unless I forgot something that should be about right)

The weight is around 1,200 lbs. (I need to upgrade the tires to bigger ones that can handle the weight these are rated to 900lbs so add another $200 bucks to the final cost)
    Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 02-01-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

wow what a cool project. I have a question how thick did you do the oven walls ? also have you noticed any cracks.

Also is the refractory cement safe to cook on. For example naan bread is cooked on the wall of a tandoor would it be safe to do the same in the refractory ovens. I know I have the floor I can do it on but just curious.

I have been procastinating building an oven myself as the cutting of bricks scares me but I am willing to to the cast cement if that is going to be stronger and safer then the bricks.

regards
      ikhan42

Comment

The cast walls were about 3" thick. The refractory concrete I used is very hard and I think it would be fine as a floor but it may crack. My dome developed three cracks total, about 8" long but it does not affect the performance of the oven.
        Good luck with your build and post pictures.

Comment

cutting of bricks scares me
          With a diamond wet saw, firebrick cuts like butter. An unsegmented diamond blade is FAR safer than the common wood cutting blade. No need to fear in this case.

The idea of scraping a metal peel over chalky refractory concrete is not an appetizing concept to me.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Joey, looks great, how does the trailer pull, tongue weight, center of gravity , weight transfer whilst stopping ? thanks factoryrat

Comment

I don't understand the sand. Is this just in place as a mold and then once you have cast your dome the sand comes out?
              I'm looking at using an old 42" diameter propane tank standing on end but would pour the dome and walls before turning over.

Comment

great build joey.Im am looking at building something very similar to yours.
                My refractory cast oven
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14201.html

Comment

factoryrat-
                  The trailer pulls smoothly, I hardly notice its there.

Kiwijim
                  Yes the sand is used as a mold (mould?) and it is just dumped out after the concrete dries.

Swampy
                  Thanks! looking forward to seeing your build thread!

Comment

Started my build threat if you are keen to follow.

My refractory cast oven

Comment

Hi Joey
                      Quite an engineering feat and a real beauty as a finished rolling WFO!
                      I like the bottom line on your spreadsheet too. I, too am considering a cast build. I am still investigating design and materials.

I noticed your great price on the castable refractory cement. When I try the links you had for WESCO I get dead links. Do you know if they are still in business?

I can try to call one of the phone numbers that I can still find on the web, just kinda wondering if you knew anything more recent about them.

Thanks for the timeline and pics on your sweet rolling oven.

John in Merrill

Comment

GREAT oven. How thick are the walls? like 3inches? Thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

I just copied your idea with the wooden structure and im wondering if it was hard to get the wood out of the inside after it was finished drying, and how did you do it. burn it out? because i dont know about yours but i used wood screws to keep it together and the wont be ably to get to them after its dry.

Comment

its been a little over 3 years to this build i wanted to know how the dome is holding up?
                            My first build

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

Comment

hello!
                              welp, it's been four years and it's time for a facelift.
                              She's been a good oven, been to the beach, the park, a couple of parties and cooked hundreds of pies. One significant crack on the inside of the dome but it doesn't affect it, it still retains heat just as well as when it was brand new.

The stucco has cracked fairly well and the tires have gone flat over the winter.
                              I am looking for some ideas on how to freshen it up.
                              I'm leaning towards copper cladding it, also am going to add an extra axle to bump up the load rating, maybe make the firewood storage area bigger.

Any Ideas?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X