My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

yeah. I kind of figured we weren't completely dry. I am in search of dry firewood and plan on burning steady for 3 or 4 days and then try a scary fire to see where that gets us.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
      Hey Joey,
      Another good thing about the SBC is that I had a few spots that were not filled right,, Im trying to say my dome didnt look round,,,, you can build up a few layers of the stuff to get your shape where you want it....

cheers
      mark
      Well, HD and Lowes both wanted me to buy a whole pallet or else they wouldn't special order the stuff.
      Any home made alternatives to stucco? oil based paint maybe?

Comment

I have achieved WHITENESS!!! my dome is completely white and burning cleanly! nothing but clear gasses coming out of the stack.
        Now...if I could get my dough to rise.

Comment

Joey I can ship you a few bags but freight will be tough. I believe the last I bought was $17.00 per bag.I'm in central Alabama zip 36701. Let me know if I can help. Nicky

Comment

Here is the results of my first actual cooking in the oven.
            Pizza #1 (not very round but it was my first attempt)

in the oven (you can see how all of the carbon has burned away and the dome is "white")

It puffed up nicely...
            Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Pizza #2 (mandatory pepperoni)

(upskirt shot of #2)

Summary:
              the oven heated up to "white" in about 90 minutes. Once it reached this stage I didn't need to add any more wood. I only cooked 4 pizzas tonight and they cooked in under 2 minutes each. The crust turned out just as advertised on here and it was delicious, puffy and chewy yet firm and light. I cut the salt suggested by half and my family still found the crust a bit salty. I will have to experiment with the dough some more.

All in all it was a good first try. I am happy how the oven performed.

Comment

Pizza looks awesome. How long did it take to cook? Congrats on your oven. Please keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by nandj1966 View Post
                  Joey I can ship you a few bags but freight will be tough. I believe the last I bought was $17.00 per bag.I'm in central Alabama zip 36701. Let me know if I can help. Nicky
                  That is a great price, both of Lowes and HD wanted to charge me over $18 bucks a bag.
                  It is very nice of you to offer but I think the shipping would kill me. I am looking into homemade stucco recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by djag12 View Post
                    Pizza looks awesome. How long did it take to cook? Congrats on your oven. Please keep us updated.
                    The pizzas cooked in under 2 minutes. You could hear them hissing as the water steamed out of the dough...so cool!

Comment

Looks very tasty!!!

BTW - had a good chuckle at the caption: (upskirt shot of #2) - Delightful!!!!!
                      / Rossco

Comment

It was pizza night tonight, finally got my dough recipe perfect!
                        the oven is finally heating to perfection 800F pizzas are cooking in under 2 minutes. I think I have all the moisture cured out of it finally.

before:

1.5 minutes later:

mandatory upskirt shot:

Comment

the oven:

pizza cooking:

heating up the oven:

I am finally ready to stucco the dome!

Comment

Joey

Thanks for a great detailed build. i hope mine comes out half as good. Glad to see your dough recipe is ok. I bake a lot of bread and I have to tell you a scale is your best friend. I cup of flour if you scoop it out is more like two cups. Weight wise it is always the same. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey Joey,
                              great looking pizza to go with a great looking oven.. You have done a great job and a cool build... Are you gonna paint ???
                              Thanks for sharing
                              Mark

Comment

For the dome I think I will add a terracota coloring additive to the stucco mix.
                                I also need to finish welding the firewood storage compartment and the supports for the rear shelf/prep table before I can paint the trailer. Not sure yet what color to paint the trailer yet. Any suggestions? The dome will be terracota color.

Comment

Working...
                                X