• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

hey joey,,

sounds like it worked out well....

cheers
    mark

Comment

Joey,
      I've been following your build with much interest, as I will be casting my oven when the weather improves. I was wondering how you were going to secure the dome to the trailer, and I guess you answered that. However, I am a bit concerned that this is not going to be enough based on this: The strapping is a low-grade thin steel-alumina metal, and once welded to the angle iron ( which I am assuming is plain hot-rolled carbon steel?) will form a very weak joint that will break with not to much vibration. I could be wrong, but I do a lot of fab & welding and have seen many thing break because of the welding of two different thicknesses and materials.

Ideally you could have cast in some stainless eyebolts every 90-degrees and used it to anchor with some sort of turnbuckle or hain, but that is water under the bridge at this point. How about just a few pieces of flat stock that would go up the sides and then bend/angle inward to meet the profile of the dome? The would not necessarily have to go all the way across the dome, rather hold it down at a few corners?

Just a though. I would hate to see it start jumping around and taking the cladding with it, or even worse......

Comment

Thanks but I think with the 4" of perlcrete going on top if it it should be good. I was planning on installing eyebolts to the perlcrete and securing it down before applying the 1" of stucco.

Comment

[QUOTE I was planning on installing eyebolts to the perlcrete and securing it down before applying the 1" of stucco.
          ][/QUOTE] will the eyebolts go thru to the frame ?

Comment

The eyebolts will be imbedded to the perlcrete and then cables from there to turnbuckles attached to the frame...it is still in the design stages.

Comment

sounds pretty solid....

Comment

I'm not an expert, but the perlicrete doesn't seem like it has enough tensile strength to hold the eyebolt securely enough to hold down the entire oven. When I had to cut mine to make channels for the steel stud track, it didn't take more than a few taps with the hammer and brickset to carve it away. It's fairly strong in compression, but it crumbles way too easily.

Even if the eyebolts were attached to tabs spreading the force throughout a larger area of the perlicrete than threads would, it seems like it would still work loose with vibration.
                Last edited by cynon767; 12-14-2009, 11:32 AM.
                -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Joey, In kiln building the ceramic inner blanket is held in position by porcelain buttons and thin high temp wire. Any conductive material that connects the inner dome to the outside is sucking heat away. If you use thick steel eyebolts they will get really hot and you'll lose heat. Perlcrete is not particularly structural and if you have turnbuckles on the eyebolts then they'll probably pull out. If you are concerned about securing the dome down I think you'd be better off with some ratchet straps over the top. My oven is only secured via the base with the outer shell attached to the base by grinding into the base and the outer shell attached to it by the adhesion of the cement and the final layer of acrylic render on the outside. It has never moved or cracked.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I guess I will wait and see how secure it is after the 1" stucco layer, Maybe a 2" wide stainless steel strap over the center of it and have the strap attached to the frame with turnbuckles that I can tighten as needed????

Comment

Hey Joey,,

You can always just throw some cargo straps over it while your trailering it... attached to the frame.. Just take em off when you get there.....

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Joey......How have you been??? How is it working for you. Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Hey everyone, sorry I have not updated recently. Between work and the holidays the oven trailer project has come to a standstill.
                          I begin again tomorrow. I will be applyijng the 4" of perlcrete insualtion. Pictures forthcoming.

Comment

Okay!, I am now ready to apply the perlcrete and stucco.

Comment

Don't be in a rush to finish. After you do the vermicrete/perlcrete (it is easier to do it in layers about 2" thick at a time) let it dry for a week, then do your curing fires, then the stucco. Good luck, you're nearly there.
                              Dave
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I'm just wondering if I will need a form for the soldier wall or will the perlcrete stick to a vertical wall?

Comment

Working...
                                X