My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Have you any fasteninging plans? I would hate to see it move if you have to brake hard on bumpy ground...

Comment

Originally posted by kombiman View Post
      Have you any fasteninging plans? I would hate to see it move if you have to brake hard on bumpy ground...
      yes. I plan a web of chicken wire draped over it and attached to the frame and then ny perlcrete insulation over it and then stucco over that...what do you think?

Comment

Hey Joey,
        How often do you plan on moving it ??
        Actually it is the tires that I may need to change.
        I would definitely get bigger tires and keep the pressure lower for a little more cushion.....

I plan a web of chicken wire draped over it and attached to the frame and then my perlcrete insulation over it and then stucco over that...
        I "think" that sounds good.. I really dont know how else you could do it.. Im sure its not gonna fall off, and Im sure you wont be doing 70 when you trailer it either... so within reason, I dont see any reason your method wouldnt work.. and honestly I cant think of any other way... sounds like a plan

when u say chicken wire.... maybe a more stable kind of strapping... like the kind plumbers use, (not copper) i think it might be galvanized..

Cheers
        Mark

When your done a video of you driving it around would be great !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Hey Joey,
          How often do you plan on moving it ?? I would definitely get bigger tires and keep the pressure lower for a little more cushion.....
          The occasionaltail gate, trip to the lake....etc... I agree on the tires.

when u say chicken wire.... maybe a more stable kind of strapping... like the kind plumbers use, (not copper) i think it might be galvanized..

Cheers
          Mark

When your done a video of you driving it around would be great !!!
          I agree on the strapping material, and I don't think I will need the chicken wire to apply the perlcrete and stucco.
          I will definetely take a video and pictures at our first tail gate!

Comment

first curing fire....

Comment

hey Joey,
              congrats on your first fire.. regarding the strapping.. maybe you could weld up some pins or brackets ?? connected to your frame and incorporate them into your pericrete and stucco dome for additional support etc....

Love this thing
              Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                hey Joey,
                congrats on your first fire.. regarding the strapping.. maybe you could weld up some pins or brackets ?? connected to your frame and incorporate them into your pericrete and stucco dome for additional support etc....

Love this thing
                Cheers
                Mark
                Ok I think I follow you...
                so I could weld up some bracket type of things on the frame but leaning towards the dome, sticking up maybe 8 to 10 inches but still within where my perlcrete is going to cover and this willl attach my perlcrete to the trailer and the perlcrete will hold my dome in place... GENIUS!

This way no steel will ever touch the dome which could act like a heat sink transferring heat to the trailer frame and draining my dome.

come to think of it, the trailer shifting side to side,up and down may tear the perlcrete to pieces if I embedd those brackets in it, perlcrete is so brittle.
                Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 11-23-2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I anchored my stack with tapcons into firebrick and was shocked how well they hold. The brick is soft enough you can use a standard non-hammer drill with a masonry bit to drill the pilot hole. I then mortared over the whole assembly for added strength. Seems to me you could cut 3 or 4 couple inch piece of angle iron and tapcon them to the firebrick to stop lateral movement, then use some sort of strap as already mentioned for vertical movement.

Comment

I dn't know if I want to drill into my dome though. I think I will just strap it down with some thin metal strapping material attached to the frame.

I took the dome up to just over 600 degrees today. I found a surface hairline crack on the right side of the dome about 16" long but it did not go all the way to the other side.
                    Tomorrow I will let loose the fires of hell and fire her up as hot as I can get it.

My ten year old daughter took advantage of the fire to roast some marshmallows.

Comment

Hey Joey,,

If you weld the brackets to the frame, You can put a firebrick between them and the bracket to keep the heat from transferring ?? Then pericrete stucco etc... Just another thought
                      Cheers
                      Mark

PS congrats on your first fire .....

Comment

hey Joey,

Hows it going,,,,,, Any progress ??

Mark

Comment

Hey guys,
                          sorry it has been a while since I posted, haven't made much progress, the weather here has been really wet and cold...hek it even snowed some.
                          Anyways I have started getting this baby ready for the 4" insulating layer of perlcrete which I plan on applying this weekend if the weather holds.

I welded a plumber's metal strap over the dome and welded it to the frame to keep the oven from bouncing up if I hit any speed bumps or potholes.

Comment

Excellent - great job. I look forward to seeing the pizzas that it produces!

Rossco
                            / Rossco

Comment

It's a slick looking oven. How long does it take to come up to temperature?
                              Last edited by jonkendall50; 12-11-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

It took me 45 minutes to get it the floor to 660f but that is without any insulation on the dome. It drafts really good and that is the part I was worried about with my one inch to low door opening.

Comment

Working...
                                X