Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Originally posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
    I was thinking of going with 2" of perlcrete on the dome and then another 2" of stucco and just skipping the blankets, has anyone gone this route?
    Hi Joey, I'd be doing at least 4" of perlcrete and this seems to be the prevailing opinion. Is there any reason why you want to keep the insulation down to 2" ?

Comment

Originally posted by mr g View Post
      Hi Joey, I'd be doing at least 4" of perlcrete and this seems to be the prevailing opinion. Is there any reason why you want to keep the insulation down to 2" ?
      I was just trying to cut down on cost. by not buying the blankets. Perlcrete is really cheap so I should be able to do 4" on the dome. Will I still need to stucco over the 4" of perlcrete?

Comment

Hey Joey, the stucco will give you a nicer final finish and be more weather proof and won't absorb as much moisture.

Regards
        Mr G.

Comment

I was thinking of going with 2" of perlcrete on the dome and then another 2" of stucco and just skipping the blankets, has anyone gone this route?
          Two inches of vermiculite concrete on top of your dome is not enough. Four inches is the recommended MINIMUM, and lots of us use more. If you're limited to two inches in your design, you have to use the refractory insulation blanket.

Two inches of perlcrete will leave you with a dome that eats wood, has trouble getting to pizza temperature, and will be too hot to safely touch in operation. Skimping on insulation is a false economy.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

okay, well it looks like I have to cut 13 bricks....sigh...I have been dreading this.

Comment

fill it with cement (peri or verm icerete).... The oven wont be over that areas will it ??

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                fill it with cement (peri or verm icerete).... The oven wont be over that areas will it ??
                dang! great idea. only the oven wall will touch this area. That should work.
                let me check that out.
                thanks!

Comment

hope it works !!!

Comment

Mr G,
                    Keep firing your oven and I think you'll find its performance improves. You'll probably find it will be less hot underneath the more you use it. It takes a lot longer than you would think to drive out all the moisture. Damp insulation does not perform well. The vermiculite takes about double the amount of water that normal concrete does and takes ages to dry it.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

well, as they say in my country..."she ain't purdy but she's got alotta heart!"

next tep...loading the dome!

Comment

hey joey

Glad to see that worked out for you

Good luck with the rest of the build

Mark

Comment

well, with the help of my two boys the dome is on the trailer.

with the stack...

and the inside of the oven.

next... MORE PERLCRETE INSULATION!!
                          Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 08-05-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

very cool....

congrats

Comment

How do you think those springs will take the weight? Good idea to put some shocks on. Where will your oven door fit, there doesn't appear to be a rebate for it to sit against.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                                How do you think those springs will take the weight? Good idea to put some shocks on. Where will your oven door fit, there doesn't appear to be a rebate for it to sit against.
                                Actually it is the tires that I may need to change. They are only rated to 1800lbs and I will be close to that when I am done.
                                how necessary is the door anyway? i think i can make one that will fit snugly enough to seal without a relief for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X