My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

I think you will find it will stay ok. You might make the base a little wider to give it slightly more support. It is a weird mixture and you'll think "this'll never harden up enough", but it does. Do two layers with some drying time in between. Tap the outer surface with the flat of your trowel. The other main trick is to leave a flat top on the wall you are buiding so that the next level has something to sit on. Also get the right amount of water in the mix. 10:1:3 vermiculite,cement,water.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I think you will find it will stay ok.
      as david says im sure it will stay, If you have a problem a very temporary form will probably help, ie: a piece of aluminum, some stacked up bricks etc.... it is definitely weird stuff, think of building a wall out of thick oatmeal
      cheers
      mark

Comment

Fact...stucco is not sold in my town.

First Question...If I add liquid acrylic fortifier to the perlcrete and then a coat of oil based exterior paint after it has been fired cured, Will it be okay? (ie: waterproofed and resistant tu occasional bumps and dings?

Second Question...Is there a product that is an alternative to stucco?

Comment

Joey,

Quickrete has a fiber reinforced product that I am about to use. I may stucco over it, but I just may leave it as my finish coat. I am also gonna wire my dome..... I think its like $15.00 a bag, and has polyethene or pvc shavings to reinforce the cement.

You are in Louisana...You gotta have stucco somewhere... HD and Lowes....

Love the oven! I wanna try to build a portable too.

Rick

Comment

Thanks,
            both of those guys (HD & LOWES) do not carry stucco, they mumbled something about the humidity blah...blah...blah...

When you say you're gonna wire it, do you mean chicken wire?

Comment

I live on the west coast of florida, the home of 100% humidity.... Look around a bit more..arnt half of the homes around you stucco?

Anyway, yes, chicken wire or .........wire lath for stucco! Good luck on that one if you dont have stucco. The mesh is finer than chicken wire and it has a built in moisture barrier thats made of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by rnrick View Post
                I live on the west coast of florida, the home of 100% humidity.... Look around a bit more..arnt half of the homes around you stucco?

Anyway, yes, chicken wire or .........wire lath for stucco! Good luck on that one if you dont have stucco. The mesh is finer than chicken wire and it has a built in moisture barrier thats made of paper.
                No, I have yet to see a stucco home here in my 23 years of living here. Here it is either brick or siding. In Arizona pretty much 98% stucco.

Anyways I didn't realize how difficult this perlcrete would be to work with vertically. Is stucco easier? does it stick better?
                I also miscaculated the amount I needed. Here is a couple pictures that show how far I got before I ran out of materials.

I am definetely going to need stucco. I guess I may have to order this stuff online.

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 01-12-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Comment

Joey,

How about building a frame around the oven and "housing" it in? You could do an "A" frame which would minimize the drag. Then you could fill from the top of lose perlite or vermiculite. Its a small oven that is going to be used for short periods of time. You dont need or want a ton of thermal mass..IMO.

I just want your oven.... Drive it down here and I will stucco it for ya while you build me a replica! I need an oven I can take to work with me.

Rick

Comment

Yu got a deal Rick! as soon as the Saints win the Superbowl I will head down there trailer in tow.

How about a copperclad dome like this one instead of stucco?
                      Shouldn''t be too difficult to fab.

Comment

Hey Joey,,
                        THe Quikrete product is called Surface Bonding Cement.... Very easy to work with, and you can finish it with either a sponge or a trowel,, It will also add structural strength, Its reinforced with fiberglass fibers... QUIKRETE? - QUIKWALL? Surface Bonding Cement I added the acrylic fortifier for waterproofing as well as adding color.....

If Home Depot by you doesnt carry it,Go to their pro desk and they will order it in for you at no extra charge,,

and you can apply it directly to the pericrete, without wire,,

p.s. your doing a great job.... looks good

Cheers
                        Mark
                        Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 01-13-2010, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Mark! you're a lifesaver.
                          thank you! thank you! thank you!

now i don't have to go to florida!

Comment

Allright, almost done insulating the oven. When I get done tomorrow I will have about 5" to 6" of perlcrete all the way around. The perlcrete is definetely changing the look of the oven.

here is a collage of before, during and after pictures.

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 01-14-2010, 06:33 AM.

Comment

hey joe,,
                              your wecome. you can use the SBC over the oven and all around the entrance, Quikrete told me it would take temperatures to 600 degrees.... Its taking a nice shape....

good luck
                              Mark

Comment

Joey, I have used the Quikrete product many times. My last project was to waterproof the basement. One quick coat (about 1/4 to 3/8 thick stopped the water. While I was still building houses a hardware store had a stack of block on the floor with one coat of Quikrete applied and you could pick up the entire stack without any mortar. Great product for strength and even better to retard water. Your oven looks great!!

Comment

Working...
                                X