My Cast Refractory Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Cast Refractory Oven Build

I mixed up some homemade stucco from a recipe I found online. I am not too happy with it. It is already cracking in some places as it dries. I will probably have to go over it again after this first layer dries completely.

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Joey,
      Just give it another thin layer. Each subsequent layer should have less cement and more lime. This provides more elasticity.You should cover it to keep the stucco damp for at least a week to increase the stucco strength. Wrapping in cling wrap works well.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I think I will heat it up to pizza temperature so that it will crack as much as it wants to before I repair any craks with a second layer.
        Meanwhile I am welding up a firewood storage bin, folding work table/rear support (so I can unhitch it from my vehicle and it will not flip over) and a canopy so I can stop dragging the tarp out anytime it looks like rain.

Comment

Very nice work on your cast dome. Are you sure the trailer is stout enough? Once you start adding wood storage and other weight- are you planning on moving the oven a lot?
          Eric

Comment

I actually plan on changing out the axle for a beefier one. This little one has me worried.

Comment

Hello Joey very nice build , I purchased a product called SUNNYDRY its used for waterproofing basement walls it come in 6 gal. plastic bucket very fine powder its like portland cement finess I did My exterial walls around my WFO colored it with same color you used mixed in the water first and added to the powder make it to the thickness consistency of stucco and apply it to dome its water proof material, I'am planning to spray an application of thompson concrete sealer to further weather seal it , I purchased all the materials at Lowes in the basement waterproofing section, purchased them last summer, should still be available, ask them about it if not in stock there, I'am in West Chicago IL, purchased at Lowes in Carol Stream IL. SUNNYDRY WATERPROOFING
              On another note in my opinion the smoke chamber should be a larger intake and taper to the chimnney sorry for the late suggestion I've been away and saw your thead to late ohh well for the next time , a larger smoke chamber intake prevents smoke coming out the front door, soory I'am too late.

Phil
              Last edited by MAVANO; 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info about SUNNYDRY WATERPROOFING but our Lowes doesn't carry it. Probably because we don't have basements in Louisiana.

Comment

hey joey,
                  how about this stuff
                  DRYLOK Gallon DRYLOK Latex-Based Masonry Waterproofer, White, Gallon
                  Item #: 41348 | Model #: 27513

According to the website they carry it in loew's in Louisana

Cheers
                  Mark

You can probably get color added to it too...
                  Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

cool, I can paint that over my stucco after I repair the final cracks. I don't think they can taint it but it does say it can be painted over.
                    Thank you!

Comment

Worked on the trailer a bit.
                      It is starting to look like something now...
                      I am building an ash tray in the front. I left a 1-1/2" slot between the oven floor and the shelf so I can just sweep the old ashes into the slot and the tray will collect them, I can then just slide the tray out and dump it.

I am also planning a triangle shaped storage box for the front:

There will also be a door that will higne up/down and cover the wood storage. The door will double as a table with drop down legs that will also work as trailer support when the trailer is unhitched. The black tent poles will be for a removable awning so I don't have to drag out a tarp everytime it looks like a little rain:

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

joey this looks great!

I really want to do this also.

was this for a mobile oven? what do you think about using some sort of steel reinforcement?

I read somewhere that you have to be carefull because the cement doesnt actually set untill it reaches a temperature higher than burning wood attains?

i would like to hear your thoughts
                        Matty

Comment

The concrete is rock hard. I don't know if that is what they mean by "set". I thought about adding a decorative copper straps over the top but I think the steel strap I welded over the dome under the insulation should hold it in place.

Comment

Hey Joey,
                            I think you have done a great job on everything from building the frame to the oven. I would love to hear how your getting a long with the trailer (IE) moving it around and such. How is the oven holding up with transporting? If you can post another pic of the totally finished project I am sure everyone would love to see it.
                            Happy Baking,
                            Carol

Comment

Hi Carol, thanks for the compliments.
                              I haven't had a need to transport it anywhere but I have towed it around my neighborhood to see how the trailer traveled. I am almost finished with it. I just have to apply another coat of paint and one last layer of stucco I also am waiting for two granite tops to be finished that I will mount on it when I use it. When not in use the granite tops will be indoors. Anyhoo, this is what it looks like now.

Comment

cleaned her up a bit, put on the second coat of stucco, a thin coat and painted it for waterproofing.

Comment

Working...
                                X