Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

damn poor night vision!!! thanks Dennis. I'll hopefully be working on the keystone by Sunday, got a pig roast to make bbq sauces for on saturday. i've put off way too many social events to cut and mortar bricks this summer.
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

And my dome is CLOSED!

- Jonathan

Comment

Two-piece keystone was a pretty simple job, only took about an hour to chop up both pieces little by little.
        - Jonathan

Comment

Nice feeling huh!
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yes sir! Fireplace store didn't have the 8" Duratech anchor plate in stock so I have to wait to finish this bad boy up until after I return from cali for work next week. At least I don't feel guilty that I'm not working on the oven for once!
            - Jonathan

Comment

There is a hypnotic fascination with the dome ceiling which is hard to describe. This is the magic of the dome and at least partly why we go to so much trouble to build the dome rather than the vault.
              Nicely done cloita
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks Amac
                - Jonathan

Comment

Aren't they just beautiful?!!!? Like you say, magical.

Very well done sire!

I love the sound of a fire in mine, the echos and the pops, and when it gets roaring...

Comment

Cleaned out the inside this past weekend since i'm at a standstill waiting on my Duravent.

My son got inside too

Duravent anchorplate will be waiting for me when I get home Thursday. Hopefully Sunday I'll be posting pictures of the first curing fire!
                    - Jonathan

Comment

OMG. I am claustrophobic just looking at the picture of you inside the oven. But if I was there, I might have drank your beer.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Your son seems to fit inside pretty easy - make him do the work. No way would I get in there. Looking at the pic makes a very strong argument for not using mortar
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Any cracks in your patio slab ?

Comment

Hey Cloita,

Wish I had a helper that size to help me clean out the inside. How's the anchor plate coming. Mine is sitting in the gargage while I do the final touches on the chimney cap.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

got cracks in the slab on the cuts where they should be, watching them very closely. would be just great if that portion of the slab cracked off and floated away!

anchor plate is in the box in my garage still, i'm still eye balling my chimney transition and i hope to knock it out this weekend but i hear there's a crapload of rain headed my way until monday. BOOOO
                              - Jonathan

Comment

After a weekend that threatened to rain the entire time, I was able to get the vent transition almost complete but ran out of daylight again tonight!

Two more bricks to mortar tomorrow if it doesn't rain, then cladding to work on, and finally some tapcons, high heat caulk, and the anchor plate before moving on to curing.
                                Last edited by cloita; 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM.
                                - Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X