Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Also here's my variation on the indispensible tool. Cost approximately $15 at Menard's. It is secured to my wooden template via a brass beveled bushing and two eye bolts. the 5/16" size bolts and a bushing of (can't remember the size) fit together with a slight help from Mr. Sledgehammer, but have just the right amount of pressure to still pivot and stay in place when needed. I need to modify it a bit more since the base coupling is reverse thread on one end and randomly breaks free! I also plan on adding a length adjustment coupling in the middle with lock nuts to secure. The brick jig is from the joist/rafter section and is secured via an "elevator bolt".

Last edited by cloita; 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM.
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

cloita,
      Nice weldless variation. Luckily for me I had a welder but my welds are not pretty. Great tight brick cuts.

Utahbeehiver
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Been a few weeks since an update but I've been busy trying to stay sane between the trips to the hardware store, these forums, and my backyard!

Soldiers getting mortar:

Kids (unknowingly) loaned me something to soak bricks in:

Landing walls set:
        - Jonathan

Comment

Courses in progress:

Third course complete and the first brick of my inner arch:

...and then the beer I drank shortly after spending that much time cutting ONE brick.
          - Jonathan

Comment

Cloita,

Nice progress. I really, really understand how one can spend so much time cutting a brick for an arch tie-in, at least you only had to cut one for that spot, it took me several attempts to get one to my satisfaction. Keep up the good work.
            Russell

Comment

Have you thought about building the arch first? I started like you and then Amac suggested i complete the arch. I am glad i did. At you can see the target, even though will lie like a dog.
              Tracy
              Texman Kitchen
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Cloita,

If I were to do this again, building the arch first or buildingvthe arch with the course I would build the arch first, like Tex said. My 2 cents.
                Russell

Comment

Looking good Cloita! Nice and neat. You might consider cleaning the bricks as you go...that will save the whole muriatic acid routine.

gene

Comment

Texman/russell - i attempted the arch with the second course in place and decided to go another course for a better idea of brick intersections.

Ggoose - i have been cleaning the remnants off and making each brick and joint smooth as I go, the brick is retaining the dark color unfortunately. Haven't researched cleaning methods since I figured it would be black anyway, and was happy as long as it is smooth. Thoughts?
                    - Jonathan

Comment

Smooth is good! My bricks were stained with the mortar as well (I used the FB mortar for most of my build and it is much darker than the Heatstop). Thats probaly what I saw in your pics - the staining.

gene

Comment

Whew, good!
                        - Jonathan

Comment

Long time since last update. I've completed my arches and vent transition (pictures coming soon).

Ran into a major snag though, I'm having one helluva time cutting my bevels on the fourth course with a 10" saw, the bricks are constantly hitting the saw guards and making it extremely difficult to cut straight lines and very time consuming compared to previous courses. I'll get some pictures this afternoon of my jig setup and what's happening, but does anyone have any experience on how they've gotten around this? I'm guessing it is my jig to blame but who knows!
                          - Jonathan

Comment

As those courses rise and the angles increase, you will have to raise the blade and make multiple passes. Are you doing that already?
                            Tracy
                            Texman Kitchen

Comment

yes, been raising the blade as needed, the multiple passes is the concerning part since even at the current angle of course #4 the entire brick is starting to be taller than the usable blade.

the jig matches the angle of rise in my courses as suggested in http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html, and i cut an angle in the edge against my table to provide the necessary bevel.

the remaining courses are going to become a PITA! i must meditate on a solution today... =)
                              Last edited by cloita; 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM.
                              - Jonathan

Comment

I think Hendo may have had a bigger saw than 10" I couldn't make that method work on my 10" either.
                                You can get the same angles and bevels using the wedges in the pic. Doing the math really helped me, too. HTH
                                Tracy

from Dmun on that thread:
                                "Wow, that's clever, raising the whole back of the brick to get the angle you need rather than tilting the side. The only observation is that when you get a few more layers up your 10 inch blade isn't going to be deep enough to cut a brick on it's edge.

By the way, wood works perfectly well for making your shims."
                                Yes somewhere in there he said he had a 14" saw.
                                Last edited by texman; 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM. Reason: add comment
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X