Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

lazy summer! been using the hell out of the oven at least.
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Look at aceves his is cool.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

first standing rib roast in the WFO. mmmmmmmmm char!

and google plus auto motion images are amazing...

- Jonathan

Comment

Ok so I'm to the point of making a decision on my aesthetic finish.

I've framed out the walls and roof, i have a bit more framing to complete to make sure the structure is as rigid as possible:

I was originally thinking of covering the base with a stone finish, then stucco on the upper half. Anyone have recommendations on stucco on concrete board or finishes for the roof? I've seen slate roofs as well as traditional shingle. I'd love to hear from anyone that has used stucco for both roofing and siding. Thanks!
          - Jonathan

Comment

bump for any input on stucco, thanks!
            - Jonathan

Comment

Hi Cloita,
              We love seeing photos of people's oven adventures! We're glad that our forum has been a source of inspiration.

Enjoy this beautiful Fall season and we look forward to more pictures!

Comment

C
                I did stucco on the oven wall enclosure and brick on the base. I paid the pro to do it after I mounted concrete board. Lots here have done it themselves though. I don't think you want stucco on the roof though. It is rough and would absorb moisture in a roof application. The folks who use it on domes have enough slope to make it work. From the looks of the pics, the roof will be almost flat?
                My choice for flatter roofs that are visible would be in the sheet metals. standing seam or a flat sheet of copper if you want to splurge. Colors and designs are endless. Shingles on a flat roof will have problems. FWIW
                Texman
                Texman Kitchen
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks Tex, I started calling local contractors for a stucco expert today. Hopefully going to hang the concrete board this weekend and then turn them loose on it next week.

Thanks for the info on the roof, I want to get copper involved somehow so here's my chance! The roof rises about 3" from back to front, so not exactly flat but close enough.
                  - Jonathan

Comment

I had fun adding stucco on the walls of my WFO here in NW Indiana. I had to cross the border in Illinois to buy the stuff. It took me about eight bags... I added metal lath on to the cement board which really helped the stucco stay in place. I did not want do the stucco myself, but after getting 2 quotes for around $2,000 - $2,500 I decided it was a great time to learn. The only thing I contracted was to relay my brick pavers. I also added a steel roof...maybe in a few years I will change to slate for now it works.

Looks great!

Mark

Comment

• Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Beautiful, thanks for the info. I fear the price tag will be the reason I learn how to stucco in the immediate future!
                      - Jonathan

Comment

Got most of the cement board up as well as the final layers of insulating blanket. Trying to get info on a metal roof from a friend, really like the idea MAD1 gave!

aaaaaaand we had a slight oversight in the framing, hopefully i can fix it with roofing/sofit:
                        - Jonathan

Comment

Also, Did my first attempt at grlling steak (prime bone-in rib eye) Saturday, along with acorn squash, asparagus, and sweet potatoes (inside cooling). This oven is so much fun!
                          - Jonathan

Comment

Got materials for a metal roof and should have it done next Saturday. Getting close now!
                            - Jonathan

Comment

Glad to see your enjoying your oven. I've been enjoying mine also.

Did you finish your stucco yet? Hope to start my stucco process soon. I been doing some research on the process. Attached is article on best practices if you are interested it was quite a eye opener for me glad I read it before I attempted anything. I hope your still in the planning process.

Too big to post the pdf file here's a link http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nibs.or..._011_WB4-2.pdf
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build
                              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Very nice...can't wait to finish mine now!
                                Link to my build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                                https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Working...
                                X