Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississippi 44"

I angled the cuts for 4 rows. The 5th was a little to steep for my HD saw. I had hoped to go up to where the width for the flu transition would start at about 24?. The 4th row left me at about a 25 ?? width. Close enough. The side walls of the flu transiton will start here.

On row 5 I turned a row up, which allowed me to lay the brick on its side at the saw to cut the curve to fit the arch.

To get the angle for this cut, I had to figure out where the transition would end. I stopped it about 18? above the arch. I decided to make the inside diameter of the transition 11 ?? X 11 ??. The distance between the entry arches was 11 ??. This allowed me to uncomplicate the cuts by keeping the front and back walls vertical while only angling the side walls.

EDIT: for the most part it is level it is just by this time of day " I get a little sideways". And I'm the one who has to aim the d__n camera
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-07-2012, 04:36 AM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
      One brick on each corner had to have the angle of the transition and the angle of the arch. It took the HD, my small tile saw and the tool in the picture to finnish up these cuts.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well this is the basic idea.

A flu transition made of brick: Basic construction concept perfected by the egyptians some 4'000 years ago and incorporated by at least one redneck in a WFO in the final year (according to the Mayens).

I have ran out of brick and time. I will try and edit some of the steps when I have more of both. But for now, them frogs are croaking again

Comment

Well its different.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I agree it is different from anything that I have seen on my searches. There is a wealth of information on this site and I have not searched every build. I have looked at a lot of different ways of transitioning and I have seen a lot of good ideas on the subject. I settled on a way that would get a little more value out of the HD saw. I think it is structurally sound and will distribute the weight of anything I decide to put on top of it. I will admit that it will eat up some firebrick, though. To have 2 different angles converging at the corners and being at the same height, both sides have to be cut equal to the same amount of rise.

There will be some waist, but for the 18" I have to climb, I think it will worth it. And also (if it doesn't work out) maybe future builders can learn from my mistakes

Comment

That flue looks like it will draw really well. What diam. Or cross sectional area do you plan on reducing to?
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I like your build Gulf

Just curious how you will fill the space between your inner arch and the outer arch (where your heat break is located....).

I made a heat break in that region and have had some oozing of the vermiculite at one bottom corner of the heat break. I stuffed a small piece of bat insulation (without the paper) in there and it stopped.

I thought the rigid insulation over that space, covered with vermicrete and ceramic insulation would seal the vermiculite above, but it was only 98% successful (100% after ten minutes to plug the leak). Just wanted to give you a heads up on my vermiculite leak in case it would affect your plans. HTH
                Last edited by Lburou; 01-09-2012, 07:08 AM.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

This is getting better and better
                  Great idea for the grill and add the smoking chamber in the chimney,its a great multi use oven design.

#Makes note of allowing the bottom bricks of the chimney to protrude to hold the grill.
                  Assume grill is an oven rack
                  A secondary lip for the outside door to allow the smoke to be trapped in the chimney would be good
                  Inside door for baking bread.

Comment

Thanks
                    Im still absorbing
                    Makes sense to not have them permanent as it effects width of entrance and shape of door.

Comment

Thanks every body for the interest and the advice. Damn, it is great to have a support group. My wife is thinking about a WFO widows chapter. Is there one out there already

David, I am reducing it to 11 ?? by 11 ?? inside diameter. The 11 ?? came about because that is the distance between my (fire place) arches. That allowed me to carry my front and back walls of the transition vertical (square 90 degree cuts) and have angle cuts only on the sides. At the 11 ? ? ID convergence I intend to work in a damper and continue with an 8" ID flu pipe (type still to be decided).

Lee, I will fill both corners of the gap with ?? ceramic rope insulation. I plan on sealing the fibers off from the interior with Rutland Black. It is a fiberglass stove cement used to cement wood stove fiberglass gaskets to steel. The tube that I bought claims to ?withstand 2000 degrees F (1095 degrees C). I have no experience with this product and can only hope that it works. I do remember reading your thread and had forgot who had posted it. But I did learn from your experience. I intend to cement a collar of 2? CalCil in place directly behind the heat-break arch with (5 to 1) fine vermiculite to Portland mix. (Thanks David, I no longer worry about the size of the marbles)

This drawing is by no means to scale, but I hope it will help explain the layout.

TropicalCoasting,
                      I could have bumped a brick ledge or two out to in the dead space between the arches for the grates to rest on. They would not have interfered with anything. I?ll leave that for someone to improve on if they do something similar. I had planned to use something like homemade stacking tuscan grills. The firebrick splits also sound like a great idea since I will have plenty of them left over.

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                        The bricks that hold the grill are just splits that can be moved and placed to suit the needs.
                        The grill was cut and folded from a sheet of marine grade stainless mesh 1''x1''
                        Doug, can you give me a shortcut to that?

Comment

Thank's Doug,
                          I was wondering what you meant by "folded". I understand now, thanks to your pics. I was thinking a little ahead about how I was going to custom build some grills for this oven. You may think this is funny but it gave me an idea. I pictured in my mind a grill which is hinged (folding upward) in the middle which allowed the grill to be fitted into the entry easily but would lock in a horizontal plane.
                          This idea is way above my paygrade and definately above my skills

Comment

Well, I got a few more bricks and a little more time to work on the flu. I cut and dry stacked them this afternoon.

The side bricks on the top row can not be layed until the speed poles are removed. A slight oversight on my part. However, the top rows of the front and back can be, so I will have a reference point and will be able to just sock them right in there with no problem.
                            If I can lay them all tomorrow (weather permitting) maybe next weekend I can tackle the damper.
                            Last edited by Gulf; 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

It looks like the Temple of Pizza, come one and all and worship it....
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Karangi, I use a sturdy gaff from my fishing days to place my firewood on the fire. The hook shape allows me to balance the split wood on top of the hook and place it where I want it. The hook also allows me to pull wood as well as push it. I sometimes wonder about a pair of tongs, but often simpler is better.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X