X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Hey Gulf - The Queen is, as usual looking - well - majestic
    Got some speed poles set before it started raining
    Pardon a stupid question - but what exactly are speed poles and how do you use them?
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
      Hey Gulf ...........what exactly are speed poles and how do you use them?
      Thanks Amac,
      Speed poles are what story poles are mostly referred to around here. They may be called something totally different in your area. They are temporary guides for laying brick. They are set vetically level at the corners of the project. The leveling is all done and each course is layed out prior to starting. A string is pulled from corner to corner around the perimeter of the project and moved upward with each course. If my dad and uncles were still around they would get a kick out of some one "string laying" brick on a project less than six feet wide .

There are normally just one pole per corner. Here you see two because I had stepped in a brick as the chimney narrowed on the sides. The one on the outside was still true with the front so I just left it there.
      Mine are just "make do" speed poles. Someone who does this for a living would get a real kick out of seeing these .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks gulf - I will use that system if - as seems likely now - I build an enclosure. They look OK to me how do you anchor them to the floor/slab?
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Yeah, story poles are a bit overkill for that, levels, my man, levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
            ........how do you anchor them to the floor/slab?
            That's easy . The trick is a what they are anchored to at the top . These, I anchored to the A frame ceiling joists. When I was attaching them with deck screws I pushed down on them to help place them under a load. A couple of them were still a little loose so I cut some thin shims and drove them underneath the pole to wedge it tight. A little brick mortar set againt them at the bottom also keeps them secure.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              Yeah, story poles are a bit overkill for that, levels, my man, levels.

I really do like the design of your enclosure, I just could not resist that shot .
              Last edited by Gulf; 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hey, the structure is plumb and level, the coursing is a bit, well, not.

Comment

Hey, the structure is plumb and level, the coursing is a bit, well, not.
                  Just kiddin T,
                  The wave looks great and had to been a pain in the as to marry with the level courses. I like working a little outside of the box myself .

Comment

Not to mention that the black brick are Endicotts and cutting them was like cutting brick made of tungsten.

Comment

Yesterday, I worked on preparing the damper control for brick. I started out by forming a ceramic fiber gasket to fit against the firebrick liner.

Added a ss washer against that and slipped a piece of 3/4" cearmic fiber rope over the whole thing.

Cut a piece of top galvanized fence top rail which I had laying a round and made a sheath to sheild it from the vcrete, mortar and brick.

Ready for brick.

May be a little over kill but, I would not have access or an adjustment for the damper without it.

Comment

What is the purpose of a damper on the flue stack? It is either firing or it is not, but I see no advantage either way?

Comment

Gulf,

Are you building a castle in Mississippi? Everything looks fantastic by the way!
                          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

What is the purpose of a damper on the flue stack? It is either firing or it is not, but I see no advantage either way?
                            Hoping to use the oven, extra large vent/fire place area for multipurpose. The damper will help when using the oven as a smoker .

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                              Gulf,

Are you building a castle in Mississippi? Everything looks fantastic by the way!
                              Thanks Tu,
                              No, just the most difficult 8' X 10' covered that I have ever attempted .
                              Wouldn't change a thing though. This is the best therapy I have had since getting out of the nervous hospital .

Just kiddin' ( I mean about the nervous hospital)

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                                Someone who does this for a living would get a real kick out of seeing these .
                                No shit?.....
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X