Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

I forgot to add this expanded pic of the damper control tunnel. The short piece of pipe sandwiched between the washers places the ceramic fiber rope in a little bit of compression. That seems to expand it nearest the outside of the sheath. Not sure if that is important but, I hope it seals off a very small route for the flu gasses and or fire . Damn, I said the F word .

Packed this whole cavity with 6 to 1 vcrete.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Removed those unsightly novice speed poles and I am now into the ceiling of the A frame.

The next step-in will be the 20" X 20" OD. 8 rows will clear the roof .
      Last edited by Gulf; 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        Removed those unsightly novice speed poles
        Every bricklayer I know uses them, makes more money that way, so why not...
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah, they are not for novices, just not usually used on columns/chimneys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            ... just not usually used on columns/chimneys.
            I agree with that. For columns I usually set four vertical strings for the corners and use a level for the individual courses. In a shady dark place, with these old eyes of mine, I find it a little easier to see that bright orange string than that damn near invisible bubble .

Comment

Jack lines. What is the difference between the string used for them and that used for horizontal stringlines? (Not for you, Gulf, other readers)

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Jack lines. What is the difference between the string used for them and that used for horizontal stringlines? (Not for you, Gulf, other readers)
                Tscar, you may have underestimated me . It has been a few days and no bites. Back in the day we always cut ours off the same roll of thin nylon twine as we did for the course lines. That was also the same roll which we made the staging for out trot lines, but I digress.
                What is the difference?
                Last edited by Gulf; 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Twisted for jack lines, braided/bonded for string lines.

Comment

Is that because horizontal lines need more stretch?

Comment

I set some more speed poles to lay the final leg through the ridge. The final inset ended up being 21" X 21" OD. I had figured in my head, thinking 20" X 20" not allowing for the mortar joints. That works out better though, I now have 2 and 1/2 " of 6 to 1 Vcrete between the flue brick and the face brick. That might be important since I went with wood fraiming instead of metal.

I custom made some some counter flashing to build into the chimney. The trim is 3/4" X 3/4".
                      One good thing about metal roofs, if you lay it out to where one run is sort of centered with your chimney, you can remove the screws and have fairly easy access to work. You can then slip it right back into place until the next weekend. You see the tarp to the left of the pic, I still trow it over and bungie it down as long as the flashing is not complete.

These 2" knotched brick look like the real deal from the face. Allows room for insulation and trims a lot of weight from the final structure. I am still using the original HF blade .
                      Last edited by Gulf; 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I transitioned the to an 8" 1/8" SS round just in case I may have misfigured Brickies allowances for nearby structures. I also have a tree line due South of the oven. I am allowing the possibility of adding a double wall section 8" SS vent and cap which I picked up at a local salvage dealer for a good price.

I did not shell out for an anchor plate. This 4 and 1/2" piece of SS was scrap and I think that that once it is surounded by Vcrete and brick, it will be anchored just fine.

Tomorrow I hope to begin the MQ's crown .

Comment

Looks verra nize! Twisted sags more than braided, ie you can pull braided tighter, but you do not need it for vertical stringlines.

Comment

Thanks' T,
                            I figured that you were waiting on someone else to bite or give the right answer. I really wasn't sure. The size houses I grew up building did not need a whole lot of stretch to keep the sag out .

Comment

I cant find the link so here is the pic again, I assume you mean this very artistic rendition...
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Good work gulf - now that is a chimney
                                Why did you not use loose vermiculite in the cavity?
                                Amac
                                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X