Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Look like you find a perfect way to celebrate Saints second victories and first fire by enjoying your WFO boudin. WFO boudin tastes a lot better than steamed boudin. Just want to warn you that when you start to continuous cooking boudin and cracklin' in your WFO, you are going to have a lot of "coonasses" (including myself) migrating from south central Louisiana to your neck of woods.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Thank's Ya'll,
      Especially, for the kick in the buttocks to get'er fired up . I really thought that I could handle both the "bead curing" and pouring the rest of my landing, mantle, and shelves this weekend. Keeping the oven at temp took a little more attention than I had figured. I was able to get everything ready for my next day off at home. It won't be this next weekened, though. I am going to the "Redneck Riviera" to install some tile floors in a friend's condo.
      Origionally posted by Tu
      Just want to warn you that when you start to continuous cooking boudin and cracklin' in your WFO, you are going to have a lot of "coonasses" (including myself) migrating from south central Louisiana to your neck of woods.
      Tu,
      Thank's for the welcomed warning, and let's hope that the rest of the country doesn't find out that boudin ain't 'exactly" a sausage or just how good it really is. If they did, it might really get really crowded down here .

Orgionally posted by deejayoh
      I love the roller method. I found when I put my landing on my oven, even 3 more inches of reach really changed the cooking experience. Wait till you start trying to place logs on banked coals...
      Dennis,
      I have actually had that thought in my mind (thank's to KD's warning) for months. I think that I can use the roller to my advantage in doing just that... and a few other things .

Origianally posted by Laurentius
      No problem, roller already installed.
      My roller is not actually installed, It is attached to an adjustable tripod that I can set in place when needed. I have a couple of ideas of making the roller itself a quick connect to the landing. I don't think that I would want it "in the way" all of the time, but time will tell .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

Have not heard from you in awhile. On your 1/2" wire mesh, were you able to get enough bite with the 1 1/2" roofing screws into the v-crete? I am now going to clad my oven with copper and looking to put a vcrete cover over my insulation but not sure if the vcrete is strong enough to accept a screw. Maybe if I reduce the ratio of vermiculite to cement I could get more structural strength but lose some insulation properties. I would still have 3" of ceramic fiber insulation underneath. What you think?
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          Gulf,

Have not heard from you in awhile. On your 1/2" wire mesh, were you able to get enough bite with the 1 1/2" roofing screws into the v-crete? I am now going to clad my oven with copper and looking to put a vcrete cover over my insulation but not sure if the vcrete is strong enough to accept a screw. Maybe if I reduce the ratio of vermiculite to cement I could get more structural strength but lose some insulation properties. I would still have 3" of ceramic fiber insulation underneath. What you think?
          It is deer season in Mississippi. ( a lot of vacation time is scheduled for this time of year down here ) I have been trying to juggle my share of the overtime to "fill in" with installing some ceramic tile floors in a condo in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Not much time for the oven .

I was able to get enough bite with these course screws, but I found that each one had to be torqued by hand with a screw driver. One turn to much caused them to pull out. Cutting the mesh in "isoceles trapezoid" shapes, makes it all work just fine. This keeps the tension off of the screws until the stucco can dry, and then (if they are left exposed) the screws can be removed. But this, like me, is an antique practice . I think that David S. has a better idea by using fibers to reinforce the stucco. Either way, I think that It would be best to put a layer of stucco between the vcrete and and the Copper Dome. The stuccu would allow for a stronger attacment layer for the copper than naked vcrete.
          I can hardly wait to see how it turns out!
          Last edited by Gulf; 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gulf,

Stucco/vcrete under advisement now. Pretty much shut down until spring with the temps and snow. I think your idea is the way to go but won't have to be quite as uniform, pretty, perfect as yours since it will be cladded. Thanks for the advice.
            Russell

Comment

Nice score, I am looking forward to seeing it. I am heading to Biloxi in the morning to visit the family, I don't get to MS enough.

Edit, re Stucco: Neither is going to bond well if at all to the copper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Nice score, I am looking forward to seeing it. I am heading to Biloxi in the morning to visit the family, I don't get to MS enough.

Edit, re Stucco: Neither is going to bond well if at all to the copper.
                Welcome back to God's country . (263 Fox Drive, Richton, MS 39476) I wish that I could be at home. I am working 12 hour + days through friday and will be heading back to Gulf Shores friday evening. I was thinking that Russell was going to attach the copper to the dome with screws.

Comment

Tscar/Gulf, Yes, I am going to attach the copper diamond shape shingles to the stucco/vcrete with 316 SS screws which are suppose to be nonreactive with copper. I just want to be able to bite into the stucco/vcrete so planning on using self tapping pan head screws that LarryK used on his copper dome build.
                  Russell

Comment

Don't bother trying to get screws to hold in the vermicrete, use it as a form and screw copper to copper.

Comment

Have you seen these I think they would hold in vermicrete very well, maybe not every screw but at select locations.

CRL #10 Screw Wall Grabber Anchors

or the

Self Drilling Hollow Wall Anchors

Directions for the wall grabber in concrete or block:

To use in concrete or cinder block drill a 1/4 inch (6 millimeter) starting hole approximately 1-1/4 inches (31 millimeters) deep. Hammer the anchor straight into the hole (point first). Hammer a nail directly into the anchor, or first through the object to be mounted. Anchor locks in place (#8 screw can also be used. Some applications, such as concrete walls, may require a 3/8 inch (9.5 millimeter) starting hole. Grabber will not rotate.

Chip
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM.
                      Chip

Comment

Not to hijack Gulf's thread anymore here's my last post on his thread and going to move to mine. But here is a picture of the how LarryK fastened the copper shingles to his masonary cover which was glass fiber reinforced concrete which was about 1/2" thick and precasted and set in place then the shingles attached with 5/8" ss self tapping pan screws.
                        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                          It is deer season in Mississippi. ( a lot of vacation time is scheduled for this time of year down here )
                          Deer season! Sigh. We have lots of feral deer here. I know a bloke with an organic orchard, and the deer are jumping his fences and nibbling the buds off his trees at night.

He's a shift worker, and he can't be there to sort them out.
                          They come in from the National Park, which is well stocked apparently, but our city-centric Government wouldn't do something as sensible as have a season and issue permits to recreational hunters. Heaven forbid we might actually have some enjoyable hunting.

Comment

Origionally Posted by Tscarborough
                            I am heading to Biloxi in the morning to visit the family, I don't get to MS enough.
                            T,
                            I hope that you left wednesday and are safe and well in the Magnolia State.

Massive Pile Up On I-10

Would love to here from you soon!

(601) 394-8727
                            jwatson2@hughes.net

I will update the forum.
                            Last edited by Gulf; 11-22-2012, 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

We are safe and sound, easy drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                                We are safe and sound, easy drive.
                                Glad to hear that Tom,

The older that I get the more that I seem to worry about folks that I know who are on these highways. And to think about it for a second or two,........ I just got back from the redneck riveria an hour or so ago myself .

I hope that on your next trip to MS, that I can be home and by that time maybe have some WFO ecooking experience under my belt.

Comment

Working...
                                X