Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

All right ya'll,
    Here is the location of this mill with driving directions from the Dome.

There are small mills like this all over the Southeast of the US of A.

A retired friend of mine follows the seasons in a camper. He once told me that he searches for cabinet shops, and furniture manufacturing shops in the areas that he camps. He said that he is able to get the wood for his campfires for little or nothing in most cases. Another old retired friend of mine who lived across from my mother-in-law made hardwood rockers, gliders, swings etc. He had lots of scraps that he used to burn in his fireplace. An artisan like him may be a source for some wood. (Except in NOLA) I think that all construction materials sold in the "Big Easy" must be treated due to Formosa termite.

Tu,
    Even a rounded pickup load (about 1/2 cord) of split red oak, delivered, over here is about 100 bucks. These guys only have to drive about 10 country miles to deliver in most cases. They cut and split the trunks to get a quick load and leave another load of oven sized limbs on the ground. I try to find where they are cutting and scavenge behind them.

Next time that I go for lotto tickets (just across the MS/LA line) I'll bring you a pickup load.
    Last edited by Gulf; 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Wow, load er up. What a deal.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

150 miles one way is not too bad, you just need a big enough vehicle to justify it.
        I travel about that far to scavenge good firewood, I can get other stuff locally but it doesnt burn the same as the far away tree.
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-13-2013, 11:47 PM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          All right ya'll,
          Here is the location

I just checked out the house prices in New Orleans..... why are they so cheap?
          I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....

Comparison.
          Your end.
          My end.
          The real estate at my end consists of buying one of three units with no land.
          Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-14-2013, 12:15 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            I went to max price if $300,000 and the same houses and land size here in Melbourne would be close to $1M........Im coming over to live and you can teach me how to say y'all.....

Comparison.
            Your end.
            My end.
            The real estate at my end consists of buying one of three units with no land.
            I can't really explain that Al. It may have something to do with many of the homes being near or below sea level. Also, New Orleans, still hasn't fully recovered from the last two hurricanes.

Come over Al,
            You want have to be taught how to say ya'll. When you hear it every day, it just comes natural .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Careful Gulf you know what they say about Brickie
              he was born on the wrong side of the blanket

...only jokes just $hIt stirring
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I hear ya' Damon .

While waiting for Brickie to practice driving on the right hand side of the road and getting some experience on the demolition derby circuit (which is by the way a great course) for learning how to drive in New Orleans . I got a little more time on the oven.

Comment

I finally started on applying the brick splits to the dome.

I bought Old Chicago splits for the dome. They are actually marked IBC, for the Illinois Brick Company, not Old Chicago. From one whole face split I am cutting getting 3 bricks for the dome. They are not a match for the "Old Any Where In South Mississippi" that I have, but they are a done deal. I cut a few of my own to help tie it in but, they really don't add that much. I may have to cheat and color one here and there to better tie it in. We will see. I am using 3/8" ceramic tile floor spacers to keep them in place while the ThinSet sets up.

Eight courses on this side of the dome was a hell of a lot quicker than it was on the other .
                  Last edited by Gulf; 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM. Reason: lin+k

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    Brickie I think I know why the houses are so cheap in Mississippi........ This one made it all the way to my work here in Florida........ Sure ya want to learn to say y'all?
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build
                    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

So, are these whole bricks you are slicing down? It's looking good.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

Apologizes Gulf, I just realized I have not posted anything on your thread. Please allow me introduce myself. I am very impressed by your build. I really like your brick splits…... I hope to incorporate them on my dome enclosure dog house.

I'm sure you've seen the big ones, that may scare Brickie away.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build
                        Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Gulf,

Nice work, the Queen is getting a new dress.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

No apologies necessary KB,
                            It is I who should apologize for not welcoming you on board when you first started your build. The last several months have called for lots of hours at work. I have been checking most nights to review the new posts. I have been watching your build. Great job! When I am not working on mine, my hobby has become watching others progress. There are some brick products out there that would help you give your enclosure the look of real brick. I used flooring splits for my dome. Probably cut a little different than what you want to do. But they would work if you size your cuts to get the most out of each split. If you are looking for a raked joint look, they are a breeze.

Thanks Russell and Stonecutter.

Russell,
                            That is one "bedonkadonk" that I have been wanting to cover up .

Stonecutter,
                            I bought precut flooring splits for the dome.

I have cut some of my own on the 10" saw to mix in but, that requires two cuts to get a face split. Not that hard to do but, I needed to save a little time for other chores.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              ...I needed to save a little time for other chores.
                              Yeah, like a double ramp sink and bar stools.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

I'm sure you've seen the big ones, that may scare Brickie away.
                                Taint much that can scare me apart from the human race....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X