Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Wow. That looks tasty gulf! It's my understanding that bud and the like are made for cooking, not for drinking. Now i want to make some brats....
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

I wouldn't even use it for cooking, maybe washing up!

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Other than that rice-burner beer, those look wonderful.
        Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        Wow. That looks tasty gulf! It's my understanding that bud and the like are made for cooking, not for drinking. Now i want to make some brats....
        Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
        I wouldn't even use it for cooking, maybe washing up!
        Ohhh,.......... humor, arr arr ...........................................
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That's a wonderful spread!
          Link to my build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
          https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
            That's a wonderful spread!
            Thank's,
            I sure hope that brisket is on sale this weekend .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf
              All of your food looks wonderfull. The ribs really have me interested, how long did you cook them?
              Chris

Link to my photo album:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
                Gulf
                All of your food looks wonderfull. The ribs really have me interested, how long did you cook them?
                Thanks Chris,
                I was trying to cook two different meats at the same time. Chicken and pork. The oven wallls were at about 400+ degrees. (by my laser thermometer). The cook was just as little over two hours. I did pull everything out to swap pans of the bacon legs at about 45 minutes. I am sure that stalled everything a little. At that time the chicken was 140 degrees internal temp by probe. When I pulled the main courses out at two hours the drunk chicken was at an internal temp of 175 for the thigh. The thickest baby back was at 180 degrees. I think that is good for the chicken but, a little too done for the ribs. But, there were no left over ribs, so i think that they went over pretty well. I would like to say though that the bacon wings have been a big hit with my bunch since, I started doing them recently.

Comment

Gulf

Nice Rack. (i mean the chicken/rib contraption)

Did you make it?

Tex
                  Texman Kitchen
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                    Gulf

Nice Rack. (i mean the chicken/rib contraption)

Did you make it?

Tex
                    I had to look back at my post to make sure that my S.I.L. wasn't in one of the pics .

I picked the "chicken/rib contraption" up at an outlet store down in Gulf Shores Alabama. I wished that I would have picked up a couple more. But, I see that they are in many outlets. Even Bed Bath & Beyond . Just search for Nifty RibRack. The link that I provided was for the manufacturer. Thanks for asking. After looking at their site, they may have few more useful items . Not Spam, although I do like it fried, smoked, grilled, and or BBQ'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post

I then found a use for a tool that I have had for a long time but had not got much use out of. That would be a laser level. It worked like a charm. I set it up just out side of the back of the oven directly opposite of the arch. I found that if I set it up back far enough, its beam shown on both sides of the arch. Using the dome gauge I would set a brick on each side of the arch for the row that I was working on. I then adjusted the level to the height of the bricks. Surprisingly they were always at the same level. This gave me a reference point to work back into the arch.
                      Gulf, never thought about that...that's a cool idea and I think I'll try it.
                      Link to my build

Link to my pictures

Comment

Mirrassou,
                        There was some confusion, last year' about what type laser level that I used. Someone, tried it with one of those picture hanging things . They don't work for this particular application. The type laser level that I used works great. But, it is not worth buying one just for one project. But, I find myself using mine a lot more often than I would have ever thought. I copied the origional post (with edits) so hopefully, it won't confuse anyone else. But, it does work to elinminate the "dreaded droop".

Another great (cheaper) option, would be a torpedoe level or a line level combined with the IT, to do the same thing.

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        I built the inside arch first and tied it in with the first three rows of dome brick. (no soldier course) I was thinking that it would lean in more than it does in order to match the curve of the dome. I felt that it would need the support at the base as it would be standing alone temporarily. From the photo below you can also see that I ended up with 2" of CalSil. (I'm glad that I did not add a 1/2 row of block to the harth stand) The CalSil was given to me and I was also glad to find out that it is great insulation for the oven floor. I will have to extend the vermicrete and CalSil out a little further to include 2 full brick for the flue.

EDIT

I knew from reading many builds that there would be a problem keeping each row level as it tied into the curve of the entry arch. I decided to concentrate to completely finish the dome/arch tie in before completing the remainder of each row. I laid just enough brick of each row to allow me to rack back the next row. This left the back of the dome open to allow me easy access to make these difficult cuts.

I must admit that I did not really think that this really going to be a problem, but I discovered that I too was dropping as much as 3/16 of an inch per row tying into the curve of the arch. Being forewarned by studying other builders projects helped me catch this early.

I then found a use for a tool that I have had for a long time but had not got much use out of. That would be a laser level. It worked like a charm. I set it up just out side of the back of the oven directly opposite of the arch. I found that if I set it up back far enough, its beam shown on both sides of the arch. Using the dome gauge I would set a brick on each side of the arch for the row that I was working on. I then adjusted the level to the height of the bricks. Surprisingly they were always at the same level. This gave me a reference point to work back into the arch.

[IMG][/IMG]

I wished that I had got more pics, I hope this explanation helps.

Someone else may have already be using this technique. If not here it is. There is probably a better way out there, but this worked for me.

I cleared the arch with the 9th row. Didn't get many pics as I was trying to beat the rain last night. I will get more when the weather clears.

Another edit
                        I felt like that I needed to go back and clarify what type laser level that I used on the build. Mine is a rotating, self leveling, cross projection laser . It is not the type that you mount to the surface that you are working on like those used for hanging pictures. It has to be set back away from the project. The picture hanger stud finders are useles so I have been made aware. I think that you can tell what brand from the pic.

The further you set it back from the project the wider the beam. If you set it back to far though, bright sunlight will obscure the beam. It can be placed on a stand or (as I did) set on an ever increasing stack of bricks. This is the only laser level that I have ever worked with and did not think about the different types that are available out there.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Hey Gulf,
                          I have a Spectra Precision LL100 construction type laser level that I use for road grades, pads and such. Thought of that, but I'm not going to bother...just another toy to bog things down. need it just work on mortaring the rows!
                          Thanks!
                          Link to my build

Link to my pictures

Comment

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
                            Hey Gulf,
                            I have a Spectra Precision LL100 construction type laser level that I use for road grades, pads and such. Thought of that, but I'm not going to bother...just another toy to bog things down. need it just work on mortaring the rows!
                            Thanks!
                            Youre right,
                            I did a search on that one. You would be better off attaching a line level to your IT.

Comment

Good grief guys....that is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. A good spirit level is about all that is needed.

To each his own, it just struck me funny seeing lasers being used for this....no offense intended.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

The laser level is a great idea. I forgot I had on of these little Sears magnetic base ones. It would have been good for checking each course as it went up.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X