X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Gulf,

Auburn lead Florida all the way until the 4th quarter then folded. Maybe a little of divine intervention is possible with the Saints!
    The heavens have opened up. The rain has quit falling for at least 8 points!

We have always been a little sacrilegious down here when comes to the SAINTS .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

23 to 15 Seattle

Congratulations DJ,

I'm looking forward to a pic of your winnings .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        The heavens have opened up. The rain has quit falling for at least 8 points!

We have always been a little sacrilegious down here when comes to the SAINTS .
        Missed you guys. Gulf, thought you might have got your miricle finish after the on side kick. Congrats to DJ. Bruce
        Link to my build here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
          Missed you guys. Gulf, thought you might have got your miricle finish after the on side kick. Congrats to DJ. Bruce
          Bruce,
          Well at least I can grill/cook SuperSunday, not worrying if i will miss too much of the game .

DJ,
          How about that pm with your adress?................................. I guess ya'll are still partyin' .

Comment

Bruce,
            Well at least I can grill/cook SuperSunday, not worrying if i will miss too much of the game .
            Hope you post your "super menu".
            Link to my build here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

That weather was crazy. It was so windy last night that I couldn't get to sleep. They made it close at the end, didn't they? Good game. I'll PM you Gulf
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
                Hope you post your "super menu".
                Bruce,
                I will do that. Just maybe, a little closer to Super Sunday. I plan on "playing" with a few things that day .

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                That weather was crazy. It was so windy last night that I couldn't get to sleep. They made it close at the end, didn't they? Good game. I'll PM you Gulf
                Dennis,
                The chits..................I mean chips are in the mail .
                Last edited by Gulf; 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Bruce,
                  I will do that. Just maybe, a little closer to Super Sunday. I plan on "playing" with a few things that day .

Dennis,
                  The chits..................I mean chips are in the mail .
                  They just arrived. Thanks! We had to sample the "Crawtaters". Delicious!
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    They just arrived. Thanks! We had to sample the "Crawtaters". Delicious!
                    I'm very that glad you liked them. Sometimes regional taistes don't do so well elsewhere. I think that Zapp's is developing a chitlin flavor,.......... maybe next year .

I'm a SAINTS fan forever! But, for the rest of this season, GEUAX HAWKS .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    EDIT....(7/24/2014).....It has been fun. Building and cooking in this oven has been a blast! From this forum, I learned "most"everything that it is required to build a great, fully functional, Pompeii Oven. I say "most" because, just about every build adds something to the forum that was not thought of before. There will be many other twists added in the months and years to come. My 60 plus years of age, and not to many less years of that in building experience, helped me do some of the things in my build which were a little "outside of the box". My advice is to stick to the basic shape and the insulation requirements of the pompeii. But, don't be afraid to "reason out" some of the steps involved, and to add to it your own lifes experience to your build, and to the common knowledge of the forum. Once you have finished your oven, enjoyed the fruits of your labor, "pay it forward" for as long as you can .

Take it easy, my friends .

But, beware "There is a snake in the garden"
                    Last edited by Gulf; 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

You can make the oven any diameter you want. But the norm is somewhere in the 32" to 42" range. Trades offs, larger oven takes more fuel and heat time than smaller ovens. A 60" is a really big oven, so it depends on what type of cooking you have in mind. An 8" slab is pretty hefty. Gulf has some unique ideas incorporated in his building of the Queen.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        Re: Mississippi 44"

Started out to build a 42" pompeii, but I ended up laying out for a 44". The 42 just looked small on that big hearth. It may not be a true pompeii when finnished though. I am thinking about gradually pulling the dome back in to about a 20 to 21" at the apex. (Any and all suggestions welcomed)

After a few unsuccessful attempts I finally found something from which to fab a dome guage. The pivot is from an old commercial door closer. It happened to have the same threads as a large turnbuckle that I picked up at Ace hardware. Along with a short piece of allthread I had an adjustable dome guage.

[ATTACH]27738[/ATTACH]

I had took the time to build a plywood floor that would be removable when finnished. I had the dome guage attached to it but It was warped. I sacrificed a brick to keep the exact center built a wood brick to replace it as stable anchor for the guage. Now the box for the HF saw has a new use covering the oven floor.

[ATTACH]27739[/ATTACH]

No welding
                        I like the idea of the turn buckle / fencing wire strainer.

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by david s View Post
                          Re: Mississippi 44"

Gulf,

That SS sleeve is quite thick at 1/8" it will have enormous power when it heats up faster than its surrounding brickwork and could fracture your brick courses. Or is that ceramic blanket you have surrounded it with, pre-empting the problem? I cracked castable refractory on two ovens a few years ago using SS at 1.2 mm thick and casting directly up to it. They both cracked in the same place.The vermicrete is ok because it has some elasticity.

Dave
                          Hi Gulf,
                          As I am about to finish the chimney, I would like to ask you behind the reason for insulating around the flue chimney when it is completely separated from the dome. The Chimney chamber doesn't have any thermal bridge connected to the dome. So why the insulation? Thanks

Comment

• It wasn't done to retain heat in the oven. My roof over the oven is wood framed. Wood framing was thought to be sort of "taboo" at the time of my build. But wood construction is what I'm most comfortable with. The code was for 8" of masonry for a chimney. I wanted to narrow that down to save weight and dimensions. I cut it down to 6" by cutting the outer face brick down to 2" and then filling with vcrete. That was an overall savings of 4 " diameter of heavy masonry. More work and time on my part but the IF thermometer readings and the moss growing on the side of my chimney says that it's efficient
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	008 (6).JPG
Views:	488
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	442386

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (27).JPG
Views:	379
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	442387

Comment

• Our new "Multipurpose Barn". We had 16 hardwood trees cut his past spring that had over grown and were a threat to our home. For cost savings, we were left with the cleanup of all the small limbs. We needed a place to dry them. We are also in the process of a total remodel of our home that we want to add wrap around porches and a complete interior overhaul. Lumber prices at the time which I started this project were outrageous! They still are!

We had to buy some treated posts but the bulk of this project was scrounged materials. The lumber was rough cut. The pine lap siding you see was cut from my place the year before hurricane Katrina. They were infested with the southern pine beetle. Thankfully, the logger that cut the uninfested trees cut and hauled them to a small sawmill for me. From there, I hauled the cut lumber to be treated. They have been hanging around aging while I was searching for a good purpose for them. With the price of lumber nowadays, I may have to cut some more of my pines to finish the project.

The metal is all salvaged. The tan was salvaged from a roof that was installed improperly and the blue was unused that has been precut for a customer who abandoned the order with the roofing company holding the bag. I got it for cost a few years ago.

We have a 4.5 chord capacity wood storage underneath a 24' lumber drying rack/storage
                              With the remodel we will need plenty of storage. We have a 25' X 10' storage unit on top of it all.

This cantilevered barn design helped me to get most of what we need under one roof

Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Joe, that is just beautiful, Mate you are not only a good WFO designer but a good building designer as well.
                                I love the way you guys built things in the States compared to Australia

Cheers Doug
                                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Working...
                                X