• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I am familiar with the term ledge, as in window ledge or door sill. Masonry or carpentry, they are always sloped slightly away from the home. Or in this case oven. That is what I had planned to do for my concrete landing. Slope it gradually away from my entry.

Am I on the same page with ya'll ?
    As far as sloping the landing, yes you are. Water is the enemy of all construction. I always set a slight pitch on mine or grind one in like I'm doing with the current build. Unless they are completely out of the weather and under cover, it provides good insurance that water won't run into the vent area.

But a landing wouldn't really be considered watertable because it doesn't wrap the structure..though it does some of the same things.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Theres an echo in here.....

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Watertable in masonry is a horizontal projection that acts as a ledge for water running down the face of a structure, to keep it off the lower foundation ( or area below the watertable.) Also known as a band, string, or belt course.
    I am familiar with the term ledge, as in window ledge or door sill. Masonry or carpentry, they are always sloped slightly away from the home. Or in this case oven. That is what I had planned to do for my concrete landing. Slope it gradually away from my entry.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Watertable in masonry is a horizontal projection that acts as a ledge for water running down the face of a structure, to keep it off the lower foundation ( or area below the watertable.) Also known as a band, string, or belt course.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

More importantly, it is used as both a visual and physical separation between dissimilar materials. Usually between stucco and stone, but also between clay and cementious units. It allows for a flashing point, and also allows for the differential in expansion and contraction between dissimilar materials.

On some applications, primarily on the interior or weather protected areas it serves as a visual cue more than a construction joint.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Sorry Stonecutter,
    I thought that I was keeping up with the forum . I had been working a 12 to 16 hour a day shutdown/outage where I work. The grey looks great! and matches your stonework. I love the "old world" look.

I understand what you are referring to but, the term "watertable" throws me a little. I live in an area where local building terms do not always match the "official" terms.
    Thanks Gulf! I went with the grey because there is going to be a lot more granite when I finally get some time for finishes, and I thought the other colors matched too well...I wanted contrast for this particular element.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Sorry Stonecutter,
    I thought that I was keeping up with the forum . I had been working a 12 to 16 hour a day shutdown/outage where I work. The grey looks great! and matches your stonework. I love the "old world" look.

I understand what you are referring to but, the term "watertable" throws me a little. I live in an area where local building terms do not always match the "official" terms.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Welcome to my world.

Did you see the latest pics of the watertable on my oven? I went with the grey after all the hem and haw...my brain hurts.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Gosh dangit Stonecutter!

As if I didn't need another idea . You've given me a couple of em' .

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Bummer. I was looking forward to some funky 'crete bar stools or ramp sink.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I usually post on my thread when I have a pic of some recent accomplishment. But, due to long hours at work, preparing for, and just now completing our annual outage I have none to report. This weekend was full of great expectations for the build. But, a very nasty look from the president of my neighborhood home owners association (my wife, we are the only home in the neighborhood) let me know that the grass had to be cut . I spent most of Saturday working on the riding mower and buying new push mower for trimming. Today, I was rained out about half way through the cut. Hopefully, next weekend, I will be able to get one day to work on the MQ .

EDIT: LPDTLOPSS .
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-28-2013, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Yeah, your sand sounds just fine. Looking forward to more pics of your efforts!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Thanks? Stonecutter,
    Sorry, I did write that recipe bassackwards .
    I will definitely consider a 2.5 to one (or less) for my wing counters. They will have to cover much more unsupported area than my landing, mantle and shelvings. They may also be uncovered for some time. I do need to clarify my "playsand" comment. I'm not to sure how sharp it is but, I actually used all purpose from Quikcrete. I don't always use the correct terminology. The first sand that I can remember, which came in a bag, was called playsand. The work sand that I am so familiar with, came in the back of a dump truck .

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Another thing you could use for free form shapes is plexiglass or some other kind of acrylic 'glass' because it bends without breaking and is nice and smooth..but I confess, I haven't actually used it yet.
    I could not get my Luan to bend to the radius I wanted for the "winged" landing in front of the oven. I used a PVC garden edging (big box store). I wasn't concerned about the surface texture (screw heads no bid deal) as I am now grinding / polishing the surface.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I can't help but wonder why a 3-1 sand to portland is lean, though . A general purpose mix is approximately 3 sand, 2 gravel, 1 portland............. What do you suggest would be a good mix ratio for my wing counters which may not be under cover in the near future?
    Funky colors are great for outdoor kitchens!

Gulf, 3:2:1 concrete mixes are 3 parts gravel, 2 parts sand and 1 part portland.
    3:1 is a building mix for mortar, and some guys use straight port/ sand at the same ratio for building (not a good thing). So, the mix you did is on the lean side but that doesn't mean the counters are crap. It sounds like the sand you used is good, as long as it is sharp and not rounded in grain structure.
    Good move adding an acrylic to the water too. The general consensus on the ratio for a sand only mix is 2-2.5:1 sand/portland.

Mix design is a hotly debated topic in some of the other forums I belong to. Lot's of variables region to region, materials are different and so are conditions.

Like I said, your work looks to be high quality...I'm not implying otherwise, just that the porty content should be a touch higher for a sand only concrete.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 02-25-2013, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X