Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texman Build

Hey Tex,

Been gone for a while and wow, what progress you have made. That is one tall chimney. I am expecting cracks in my build when my curings get a little hotter. Glad to know it is part of the process. Looking good.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

"I have vermiculite and will fill the oven enclosure to the brim."

You may want to consider filling it with a lean (12:1) vermicrete.

There is some school of thought that this will provide better long term insulation value (less settling ?). In addition you don't have to worry about bits of vermiculite seeping or being blown out of various openings if you are providing ventilation to your enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
        "I have vermiculite and will fill the oven enclosure to the brim."

You may want to consider filling it with a lean (12:1) vermicrete.

There is some school of thought that this will provide better long term insulation value (less settling ?). In addition you don't have to worry about bits of vermiculite seeping or being blown out of various openings if you are providing ventilation to your enclosure.
        This may be true, although remember that by adding cement, even at 12:1 you are adding close to twice the mass in cement as vermiculite, a reduction in vermiculite on mixing, both resulting in increased density, and also you have to add about a third of the total volume of water that will also have to be removed.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hey Russell, Welcome back from R&R. Glad you are back among us WFO slaves. I am glad you see lots of progress, because it always seems slow when i look around. I have burned my third curing fire and I purchased a Klein infrared thermometer yesterday. I got that one because the others i found only went to 600deg F. This one goes to a 1000 deg. Last nights fire got the inner dome to 575 F and the outside to around 220 F (no insulation). One thought, i am glad that i didn't insulate yet. I used a freezer bag as a mortar bag and squeezed the refrac mortar into the crack in the arch and behind the vent and it has stayed after two fires. Also, i was looking at the 1/16' crack at the back last night and i could see the light of the fire through it. I can't even see that crack from the inside. I will try and force mortar into that as well. Net really necessary, but since i don't have it insulated, i can do some crack management while i cure.
          That chimney is Texas, Gotta be bigger. I think i may have two or three forno records: 1. tallest chimney? 2. break the arch and start over? 3. Longest build?
          Maybe i am in the hall of shame.
          I got the TEX chimney done. Roofer will do the siding and flashing. I added more cross bracing per Gulf. I couldn't run any 2x4 up but here is what i did. I added a double layer of pipe strapping at each corner that runs from the ceiling joists to the top of the chimney. The straps are secured into ceiling joists and roof joist at bottom and screwed to metal chimney frame at about 1 foot intervals all the way to top. I stressed the straps with vice grips before i secured so it is tight. I used polyurethane adhesive and 7/16" OSB and screwed the plywood on. I put a piece of permabase on for the lid under spark arrestor. I will add some more cross bracing to the ceiling joist underneath to get some more load bracing. Best i could come up with so far for the chimney.
          I did a LOT of cleaning up and i am pleased with the materials i used for the kitchen. Even splattered with everything imaginable they wiped down and look good underneath after all the guck was gone.
          I finished last night with a nice curing fire of oak with enough cedar to smell really good. The beer tasted good too.
          On to the enclosure.
          Tracy
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Interesting approach flashing *under* the chimney chase. Seems like it should work. My chimney comes through the peak of my roof and it was a bear to flash around it.

Pizza by this weekend?
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I hope to actually cook something this weekend! I am using your wire idea to secure the insulation, hopefully this week. I think i will put some tapcons into the slab around the oven to tie to and keep that stuff from where i put it.
              That chimney has been a PITA. Once the siding is on and flashed again around the base, i don't think the inner flashing should even be needed. Maybe for the small amount that might blow in at the top. But the top collar should keep that out too.
              My next task is to get permabase on the ceiling above the oven. That will suck more than my big chimney.
              Tracy
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

David S and Neil2
                Good points on the vcrete, but opposing IMO. I like the idea of the light mix to control that stuff. But the water is my concern. It is really arid in West Texas and would dry eventually, but it will also be encapsulated. I was planning on adding a couple of vents in the enclosure walls to allow for moisture control, but i don't know if that would pull all the trapped moisture out. Conversely, it will be encapsulated and the dry nasty stuff enclosed, but i have heard from other builders that it settles, which makes it much less effective.
                Maybe i could mix the 12:1 dry and place in the enclosure dry in layers and hand spray with water the get some adhesion?
                Tracy
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

I am still stuck on "chimzilla". I think i am going to add some more support to the lower 1/3 and make it part of the stupid thing to cover with siding. This is were a steep roof would be nice to get support. Didn't think about that using my flat roof. It is solid as a rock going in line with the ceiling joist of course, it is the lateral that has some wobble. Not a wobble like it will fall off, just enough to worry about. I am going to build a pergola and i think it will help hide the beast, but it will look like my other chimney anyway.
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                    David S and Neil2
                    Good points on the vcrete, but opposing IMO. I like the idea of the light mix to control that stuff. But the water is my concern. It is really arid in West Texas and would dry eventually, but it will also be encapsulated. I was planning on adding a couple of vents in the enclosure walls to allow for moisture control, but i don't know if that would pull all the trapped moisture out. Conversely, it will be encapsulated and the dry nasty stuff enclosed, but i have heard from other builders that it settles, which makes it much less effective.
                    Maybe i could mix the 12:1 dry and place in the enclosure dry in layers and hand spray with water the get some adhesion?
                    Tracy
                    Another compromise could be to use vermicrete on the bottom, where some leakage is likely to occur, loose fill the rest and a vermicrete cap on the top. For an enclosure the moisture will eventually find its way out and is not a danger of creating damage.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That thing is enormous, I thought my 4ft pipe was obscene... keep up the good work tex!
                      - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Which is more likely:
                        1) shorter chimney causes a roof fire
                        2) storm blows 7 foot chimney off your roof

Just sayin'. Know you had to do it, but seems ridonkulous.

On a side note, I am not sure why they put shake roofs on houses in west texas. Long ago, we gave up on those up here in the land where cedar trees actually grow. but I digress...
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

David S
                          I like that idea. That should be the best of both worlds i think.

You guys are gonna make my chimzilla cry. You know, after doing some more study, 5' is actually enough. My code is at least 3' roof penetration and then 2' higher than nearest 10'. Here are my real numbers: my nearest 10' horizontal measurement to a roof structure is 3', so 2' more is 5'. I am at 7.5' to top of chimzilla spark arrestor. So here are my options as i see it: Take that last 3' section out and put that 6" piece in that i have for free to have a 5' chimney and cut chimzilla back to that. Or, keep adding structure to support the stupid thing and hope it doesn't get uglier. (glad it cant read)
                          DJ That is a great point about the more likely scenario. In West TX, the storm rippin' off my chimzilla is way more likely. I think i need to go back to my normal routine-REDO But what are you guys gonna tell me if i shorten the chimzilla and then it blows smoke in my face. So much fun here.
                          A side note on cedar roofs: I tried to get my insurance to pay for a different roof last time the hail beat it to smithereens. I wanted a class 4 to get the discount. You can get that from many different roof materials, as you know. If i put a metal roof on, I have to sign a cosmetic waiver. Which means i will never get another roof and have to look at one that has been beat to crap. And they don't lower the premium if you get a metal roof. So, i said, "you guys can keep buying these expensive as heck heavy shake roofs until you figure that out."
                          Tracy
                          Will i ever get done with this oven?
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

You can shorten it. It won't blow smoke in your face, unless you don't preheat your chimney in certain weather situations or try to start a fire in a high winds . As for as the shakes are conscerned, you might want to take a look at the spark arrestor screen on your cap. The one I bought has 1/2" mesh. I added a galvanized window screen mesh to the inside of mine.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gave the chimney a haircut this weekend. Total length is 78" plus spark arrestor.
                              So, that makes 20" below roof and 58" + 3"ish for the penetration height. That is right on for a 5' above the roof. Burned another curing fire and got the dome up to 675 deg +. Some clearing starting to happen, but i didn't want to push the temp just yet and I was putting the insulation on while the fire was burning. The draw is just slightly diminished, but more than adequate. Wore my mask and gloves for that insulation. That stuff is nasty. I had 3 boxes of FB blanket and i used it all. I have 5-6" of insulation. Overkill yes, but in an area that should help just a little. Not the most beautiful application of insulation to a WFO, but thorough and secure. How do you make it pretty? Brickie said cut triangles, but who will ever see it? (just the forum) I did notice a very small amount of smoke coming from the back of chimney through the heat break. No visible holes, but smoke none the less. Going to order another Kaowool and reseal that i guess.
                              Put another coat on the bar and finished the rock on the backsplash.
                              On to the enclosure.
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Hey Tex,

You are making me look bad with all your progress. Keep up the good work. I am just putting along..........
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X