replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Congrats on the oven and the pies!!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

They look really good. The first batch makes the work worthwhile doesn't it? Hard to believe that it only gets better from there. Not sure if there is a milestone award for first cook but there should be. Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

The pies look great!

It looks like I am just a couple of days behind you.....can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok all my first pizza party was tonight... a little unexpected but a hit I think. I made the classic margarita pie, sausage, roasted red pepper and mushroom; then a Greek pie. Ahh I feel like I'm there.

Greek:

Margarita Pie:

Sausage Pie:

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

I think you're gold at this point.. Clear the dome!

C

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

If you got it to 725F, your curing procedure is over, you now have a finish oven. Take a break from reading and writing on the forum and get to know your WFO and see the joy she can bring into your life. Darn it, COOK SOMETHING!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Hey guys posting from my cell outside pics to come. Just had a venison sausage egg and cheese wrap from the oven

Question: my last cure fire was held around 725F for 5 hours. Is it ok finally to have my raging fire and clear the dome. It's a third clear now up top. I've been holding 800F for an hour but I want to load it up???

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

79, how are things going? More pictures please..

Chris

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Congratulations ..........food looks yummy......can't wait to use mine.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

Did you take any pics of the bread cooking!!!! Lets see

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Hey everyone...

I just completed day 6 of my curing fires and I was around 600F today +/- 25F as best I could. Anyone know at what temps I need to start looking for cracks?

Side note, I made venison meatballs in there tonight with a couple of loaves of Italian bread and some homemade gravy "sauce". I love this oven

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I noticed that with the larger pieces you get a more consistent temp than the smaller ones bursting into flames haha. Only issue is getting the coals hot enough below the larger log to keep them lit. I had a few spikes in temp along the way but nothing that lasted more than a few seconds. If something got out of hand I either took the wood out and put it in my fire pit or put my shovel over it in the oven. I found having a fire going in my pit and transferring the lit log to a bed of coal is a nice way to introduce a log instead of a fresh one that can "spontaneously combust"

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

no, it doesn't look too aggressive. The difficult part will be maintaining temp with a wood fire without it spiking. A 600 degree fire can become an 800 degree fire in a matter of seconds. At that temp, the wood will pretty much spontaneously combust. Kind of counter-intuitive, but I find it easier to maintain temperature with bigger pieces of wood than with smaller pieces - which flash ignite.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Hey guys,..

My oven curing so far (average temps):

Day 1: 250F for 8 hours used 1400 watts
    Day 2: 300F for 13 hours used charcoal
    Day 3: 350 for 12 hours used charcoal and small amounts of wood
    Day 4: 425 for 12 hours used charcoal and medium amounts of wood
    Day 5: 525 for 6 hours used small amount of charcoal and larger amounts of wood

Tonight is night 6..

Night 6: Aiming for 600F for 6 hours mostly wood
    Night 7: Aiming for 675F for 6 hours wood
    Night 8: Aiming for 750F for 6 hours wood
    Night 9: Aiming for 825F for 6 hours wood
    Day 10: Aiming for +900F for 6 or so hours.... my big and final fire.

Does this look to agressive for fires 6-10?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X