X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boerwarrior
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

sorry it looks like perhaps I misunderstood your measurements....

Not sure what you mean by vent landing? You mean the flat bit that the SS chimney vent plate sits on? If your opening is 41 sq in and you are doing your best to taper into the 7" diameter hole then I think you will be good.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Hi K79,

well as you know I am still working from theory....! But I am planning to ensure that my opening is larger in terms of area than my chimney... I have a 6 inch diameter chimney pipe (28 square inches) - and I plan to make the vent opening 5"x 8" (40 square inches) to ensure that nothing is being restricted until the smoke/air hits the chimney vent cap.

I would be interested myself in reading other responses from experienced builders/users!

Neil
    Your vent landing must be larger than one brick in length right? My opening is 5.5" by 7.5" so I have 41.25sqin but my anchor plate is resting on each so that eats up some of my area. Yours must be the same ...

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Hi K79,

well as you know I am still working from theory....! But I am planning to ensure that my opening is larger in terms of area than my chimney... I have a 6 inch diameter chimney pipe (28 square inches) - and I plan to make the vent opening 5"x 8" (40 square inches) to ensure that nothing is being restricted until the smoke/air hits the chimney vent cap.

I would be interested myself in reading other responses from experienced builders/users!

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok final dimensions for my vent:
    (Using a 4' x 7" ss double wall chimney)

Oven opening: 200 sqin
    15% of oven opening: 30 sqin
    7" Diameter Chimney: 38.48 sqin
    Vent opening unobstructed by inner arch, outer arch, and anchor plate for chimney: 34sqin.

How do these numbers look to you guys...?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    I did my last 3 rows and keystone all on the same day. Been curing a little over a week and no cracking yet - I'm sure that will change once I start firing!

Neil
    Think positive !! Make sure you post a photo of your first fire !

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

I did my last 3 rows and keystone all on the same day. Been curing a little over a week and no cracking yet - I'm sure that will change once I start firing!

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I have 4 rings left. I'm hoping to be down to my last two by the weekend. Question: My last two rings consist of 13 and 10 bricks (on paper) so is it ok to put in my 13 ring layer and then put my 10 brick layer in right after or should I wait a day and let the mortar set on the previous layer? Same question for my keystone.

thanks

Last edited by K79; 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I see your tapered arch paid off dividends.............worth the brain work out?
    You have no idea...wait... yeah you do ! I love it.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I see your tapered arch paid off dividends.............worth the brain work out?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Thanks mrchipster. I got ring 6 done today. First time using a babysitter. Worked out great all around !

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Fish hook and weight is a great idea.

Nice top of the arch brickwork. I wish mine looked that good. Another fine example of the benefits of the reaching arch design.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

This is what ended up going in. I just had a chance to check the forum since I last posted.

Also this is my idea of holding my bricks in place once I get closer to the top:
    Fishing hook tied to one of my socks with a brick in it for weight

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

year you were born??? ouch!

do a single pointed brick laying vertical and adjust height and angles to mate with the brick height on either side of this transition brick.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by rsandler View Post
    That would do it. Could also do a single pointy brick in the middle, figuring that the next brick over the arch is going to be funky anyway.
    If I did that then my brick would be lower than each adjacent brick:

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

That would do it. Could also do a single pointy brick in the middle, figuring that the next brick over the arch is going to be funky anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X