• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Ok, I'm working on my arch entry. I know it's not good to have joints line up. That being said, is it ok to line up the joints of my vent wall with my inner arch wall joints? They are independent of each other aren't they?
    Looking good K79. I would say brick on. I'm planning a thermal break with quite a large gap stuffed with ceramic rope for my outer arch. I plan on setting the outer arch directly on concrete hearth, although a quite tall chimney on top of it. I believe this will totally make them independent???

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok, I'm working on my arch entry. I know it's not good to have joints line up. That being said, is it ok to line up the joints of my vent wall with my inner arch wall joints? They are independent of each other aren't they? The other option would be to get some 1/2 size firebricks or splits I think they're called and offset the joints if they need to be. They look offset in the photos by about 1/8" but that's obviously because I haven't put any mortar on them yet.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by MaineLotus View Post
    Great build thread. The angle iron supports, is that a safety precaution or have some people experience failure (assume they go on each side of the arch)?

Noticed you're from Maine - good to see another builder from around here. I am around half finished with an indoor 32" build.
    Thanks, and yes they go on both sides of my entry arch. I haven't read any threads where failure has occured here, but for the money I spent on this oven I'm not taking any chances haha

Yes, it is nice to see a fellow Mainer on here !! I'm by Augusta, you somewhat local or up in the county
    Last edited by K79; 06-04-2013, 04:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MaineLotus
    replied

Great build thread. The angle iron supports, is that a safety precaution or have some people experience failure (assume they go on each side of the arch)?

Noticed you're from Maine - good to see another builder from around here. I am around half finished with an indoor 32" build.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok I've decided not to parge the outside of the dome for the following reasons:

1. Can't find a product that is made for this application
    2. Not a huge consensus telling me it needs to be done
    3. Not in the FB plans
    4. Wasn't planning on wrapping it in wire first and since it's under tension not compression I don't feel it's going to do much for the oven or hold up.
    5. It would really be squeezing me tight on my enclosure since I didn't plan on this thickness.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Two birds with one stone...

I picked up my angle iron supports today from the local welder and in the background you can see my Conproco Type S parging mortar.

Wow those are some serious angle iron brackets!! I don't think you'll have any buttressing problems with those!

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
    Is that mortar heat resistant? (i.e. will it hold up to the 600-700 degree temperatures that the outside of your dome will likely see during high heat saturation?). Maybe you can mix some lime and/or fireclay with it to increase it's thermal properties. I'm sure one of the resident experts will chime in.

Regards,
    AT
    I would love to hear what others have to say? The local mason at one of the largest precast companies in the state told me that it should hold up fine to the indirect heat on the outside of the dome.... That being said, I called Conproco and they told me that the temp shouldn't exceed 500 degrees??? What to do??

Leave a comment:

• ATK406
    replied

Next...
    3 coats 1/4" thick of Comproco Type S mortar mix to parge the outside
    Build my outer arch
    Wrap in insulation blanket
    Then start my fires (2 weeks from now)
    Is that mortar heat resistant? (i.e. will it hold up to the 600-700 degree temperatures that the outside of your dome will likely see during high heat saturation?). Maybe you can mix some lime and/or fireclay with it to increase it's thermal properties. I'm sure one of the resident experts will chime in.

Regards,
    AT

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I picked up my angle iron supports today from the local welder. I'm going to use 1/2" x 2" lag bolts with lag shields to fasten my angle iron supports to my hearth slab.

Last edited by K79; 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Calisdad,

I got my Duravent parts from a fellow forum member who had some extra ones!

I myself actually have an extra 6" Stainless Steel Duravent mounting plate and also the 6" Stainless Steel cap (you would need to find your own chimney tube sections which you can buy from FornoBravo DuraVent UL103HT Chimney System).

I'm not sure if 6" is too small for you, however. Let me know if you are interested and we can probably work something out. We are both in CA

Neil

Leave a comment:

• Calisdad
    replied

I have to thank you guys for posting- especially the pics. Going to make the leap into cutting more brick today and unless I have a good idea of where I'm headed I tend to stall.

Neil- where did you get your Duravent supplies?

thanks-
    Calisdad

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It does feel great to have the dome complete. I'm excited to get my arch finished and the wet saw out of my garage

Next...
    3 coats 1/4" thick of Comproco Type S mortar mix to parge the outside
    Build my outer arch
    Wrap in insulation blanket
    Then start my fires (2 weeks from now)

The saga continues..........

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Another beautiful oven and some great dome photos, proud. Papa.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Great job! Feels like you have given birth, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Good job K79.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X