X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K79
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Do my vent arch bricks need to be taperd or is the above design ok?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Are these dimensions ok for my keystone for my inner arch? Kind of small I think...

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Maybe I should have said drift in. These things expand and contract with the heat cycle. If you don't use mortar the only thing to keep it from moving (in) is the taper.
    Ok got ya. All of my bricks are tapered so I guess I can omit the 1/2" of mortar around the outside of the dome.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    I was wondering how the brick would would drift out?
    Maybe I should have said drift in. These things expand and contract with the heat cycle. If you don't use mortar the only thing to keep it from moving (in) is the taper.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

3" fiber blanket and I'm going to burry it in vermiculite. I was wondering how the brick would would drift out?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

If you hit a brick with your peel I don't think it is going anywhere because there is a lot of weight on it.

You do have plans for insulation, correct? You are going to need a lot more than 1/2 inch.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

All the bricks fit pretty tight. Should I coat the entire outside of my dome with a little mortar when I'm done? Maybe mix in some vermiculite while I'm at it. I really can only add about a 1/2" to my dome when complete so my framing fits. Basically the issue would be me hitting the brick with a pizza peel or roasting pan right?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I don't think 1/8 is too large of a gap. The thinking is (was) that it would accelerate spalling. I haven't seen any evidence of that in my oven but I don't use it 24/7 either. If you are not going to mortar every brick make sure that they are tapered so they don't "drift" out. The cut face is fine if it is on the inside, just about every on of mine are that way because it was a cleaner look.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok so I went home on my lunch break and cut 2 bricks which made 4. I just placed them, I'll square them off when I mortar them, but how do they look. There are going to be some mortar joints here and there on the inside of my dome. Is 1/8" to wide?

There's no issue with placing the cut face of the brick on the inside of my dome is there?

Also these are just off to the right of my entry (it's where I placed the first bricks I cut months ago so you won't see them... my cuts weren't so good back then... not that they're great now )

Last edited by K79; 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

No gaps on the hot side if possible. But some mortar to reduce the chance of. future dislodging by an oven tool.is what I think was being referenced here.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Yes, many kilns are built with no mortar, but I think you should mortar the entry bricks well.
    What do you mean by mortar them "well". 1/4" joints?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Yes, many kilns are built with no mortar, but I think you should mortar the entry bricks well.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok guys so I got some more work done on my oven over the weekend. I had all of my bricks precut and as I moved along some of the bricks would fit perfectly without any mortar. I placed them with no mortar and kept moving around my dome with the next brick and so on. Is this ok to do?.... No mortar on some bricks?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    You want the door to also go into the opening as well as have a lip beyond it for maximum seal.
    Also the part that goes into the opening should be filled with some type of. Insulating material, people have used ceramic board, blanket, and vermicrete perlite. Etc...

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

You want the door to also go into the opening as well as have a lip beyond it for maximum seal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X