• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

BW/K79,

I guess I am not seeing what you guys are seeing, DJ fully enclosed his door with a SS/CS band and back plate and welded everything closed after stuffing with CF insulation.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

I wonder if you could spray the CalSil Board with High Temperature paint? I was considering doing that while my build was in progress in order to protect the board against moisture - but it did occur to me it might help stop dust flying around as well.

You would only use the door once the temperature of the oven had stabilized - not while you had a full burn going. So the highest temperature the door would see would be seven or eight hundred degrees (F) I would think? And most of the time it would experience much lower temperatures.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/32...a-19283-2.html

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I'ld say you're right, but I would think you would want to keep that cal sil board as far away from anything your going to eat as possible.

That cal sil board is very expensive. I have 3 or 4 pieces that I could fit together to fill my door so leaving the back open kind of isn't an option. Unless I used some kind of mesch to hold it in???
    Last edited by K79; 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

ooh ooh me! I think I know!

I think he is trying to ensure that the heat is not transmitted directly from the front surface to the back surface of the door, which would happen much more if the front and rear metal surfaces were connected.

How did I do?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Your picture is about exactly how I built my door.
    [ATTACH]35617[/ATTACH]
    Welding stainless is tricky. Do you have experience?

Also, personally I found it easier to use blanket inside the cavity than using board. You can stuff it pretty full of the blanket, and you don't have to trim bits off the edges of the board which makes nasty dust.
    I have a welder / sheet metal guy that is right down the street from my office. That is pretty much what I want to do. The only difference is I was going to put some steel on the back side to. Why did you leave the board exposed on the back side of the door?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Your picture is about exactly how I built my door.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000235.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	294611
    Welding stainless is tricky. Do you have experience?

Also, personally I found it easier to use blanket inside the cavity than using board. You can stuff it pretty full of the blanket, and you don't have to trim bits off the edges of the board which makes nasty dust.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Having the door both lap the outer edge and protrude will give a better seal, that is all.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Nice looking door. I'll have reveal on mine... strange that some were telling me that it had to actually go in the oven a bit. Much easier if it doesn't What did you make your door out of? SS?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I have a reveal at the oven chamber, so no, the door does not go into the oven

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    I have around 3/8 clearance all around and it goes in and out fairly easy.
    Does your door actually go into your oven though? Does it protrude into your inner vent arch as the picture I've shown?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    I'm wondering about the removable door itself.
    I have around 3/8 clearance all around and it goes in and out fairly easy.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

That looks good so far. I have my entry dimensions set, I'm wondering about the removable door itself.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

actually this is one row higher and shows it a bit better

Neil

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

K79

I made my reveal about 1 inch - see attached.

I am at about the same stage as you are at so I will be following the rest of your build closely!

Mine is at:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok, I know I'm a ways away but I'm always thinking ahead. My question is concerning the door for my oven. I had thought that the door should sit in front of the oven arch up against the 1/2" or 1" lip I had left. It has been brought to my attention that the insulated door needs to sit in the arch way and have some metal on the back side that sits up against the lip. Is this right? I attached a photo of what I think I'm supposed to do. I was going to use the extra ceramic fiber board and wrap it in stainless steel (weld it) almost like a sandwich. The piece of stainless steel facing the outside of the oven would be larger by 1/2" to seal the oven. The thickness of the metal would be 1/8" I believe.

This view would be if you were looking at the door from the inside of the oven:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X