• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boerwarrior
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Once my outter arch is complete and my brick is in place for my anchor plate... I'm hoping around the second or third week in June. Planning on waiting 2 weeks from the last time I tough my mortar before I start any fires. I hope that's long enough.
    I am aligned on waiting... but my count down starts from when I last touched the dome mortar. I am not going to worry too much about waiting on the outer arch and chimney surround. So I am 4 days in!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Once my outter arch is complete and my brick is in place for my anchor plate... I'm hoping around the second or third week in June. Planning on waiting 2 weeks from the last time I tough my mortar before I start any fires. I hope that's long enough.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

7" is probably a good size for a 36 inch!

I hope to work on the arch this weekend - it is a long weekend and the weather will be good (hey it's Northern California, the weather is always good here! )

I do have a guy helping me with laying flagstone (actually I am helping him!) so that might take priority....

I am anxious to start some small curing fires!! I don't need a chimney to do that. When do you plan to start firing yours?

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Mine is a 36". I really appreciate the offer. I have already ordered a 7" for mine. When do you think you'll start work on your outer arch?

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    I like how you leveled off the arch for your brick layer for your chimney. Are you going stainless steel?
    Yes, I have a Duravent stainless steel vent plate.

I actually have a spare one if you need it! But is only 6 inches. Which is fine for my 32 inch oven but might be too small for you. What size is your oven again?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    K79, I am at exactly the same stage as you and I have a very similar inner and outer arch design!

I was planning on building the outer arch in a similar way to Ken's, and was not going to try and tie the two arches together. I don't think there are any major structural issues there. Also, my chimney and vent plate will serve as a kind of tie-in, but only at the top of course. But this is just my opinion and I will wait to see if others have any opinions on our designs! My inner arch picture is attached.
    I like how you leveled off the arch for your brick layer for your chimney. Are you going stainless steel?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

You don't need pins. the arch will be very strong.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

K79, I am at exactly the same stage as you and I have a very similar inner and outer arch design!

I was planning on building the outer arch in a similar way to Ken's, and was not going to try and tie the two arches together. I don't think there are any major structural issues there. Also, my chimney and vent plate will serve as a kind of tie-in, but only at the top of course. But this is just my opinion and I will wait to see if others have any opinions on our designs! My inner arch picture is attached.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

My outter arch is going to be like Ken's arch. My question is regarding the support of the outter arch agains the inner arch. I now realize I could have tapered the front face of my inner arch out and my outter arch could have rested on that. I really wish I would have done that. So... since that option is out of the question, would it be ok to drill in some pins (shown in red on my arch) and drill some holes on my outter arch bricks to have some support there or is that not needed?

My oven with proposed pins:

Ken's Oven (these are the brick I'm worried about):

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    did you mean post #268? If yes, I think your dome looks plenty strong to me so far! You still have a couple of inches of overlap which is fine. If anything, you have created a slightly larger buttress at that point which may actually make your dome stronger! (Think stepped pyramids)
    Yes 268 sorry. Ok good deal

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

did you mean post #268? If yes, I think your dome looks plenty strong to me so far! You still have a couple of inches of overlap which is fine. If anything, you have created a slightly larger buttress at that point which may actually make your dome stronger! (Think stepped pyramids)

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

My thrid ring I had to taper the inside face of the brick and move in by 1/2" to fix my "lack of use" of my IT. Have I created a weak point all around my dome now? You can tell where I'm talking about by the wide ring of mortar around my dome. (It's shown two rings down from the top in post #220.

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

K79

I removed my arch support after 3 hours so that I could clean the underside. If your mortar mix is correct (high sand ratio) it should have plenty of compressive strength after a few hours. An arch is inherently "self-supporting." Heck, if it doesn't stay up after a few hours on it's own then there is something wrong and it's better to find out now! But yours looks great and I'm sure you will have no problems!

Neil

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Can someone please tell me when it is safe to take my arch support down? Should I wait until my course closes over the top of it? I want to see what the bottom of my arch looks like and clean it up.

Course 3:

Course 4 (in progress):
    Last edited by K79; 05-20-2013, 05:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tada,

Knew you could do it. It is hard to see this initially but when the light bulb comes on..........wow. This will help you a lot with avoiding a tear drop or the dreaded droop. Remember to trust your IT not your eyeballs. Good job.

Tip - It you have a diamond cup grinder for an angle grinder it will help fine tune some of the cuts and high spots as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X