X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Even if you do run into the tear drop its okay. The oven will still function just fine. If you run into the drop all you have to do is add a key stone to avoid it, then start a new chain of bricks it will solve the problem. Ask me how i know.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Ok, here is a pic of Ken's inner dome. Mine should be similar to his. Anyone concerned with the center brick having it's taper smaller at the top than the bottom... any other concerns?
    Ken's oven has been working for years so it obviously isn't that big of a deal. Try and avoid the notorious "droop" You will be fighting to get back to a true circle as you go vertical.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ok, here is a pic of Ken's inner dome. Mine should be similar to his. Anyone concerned with the center brick having it's taper smaller at the top than the bottom... any other concerns?

Looking like a tear drop.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

K79,

I am not sure where you are at on your arch but a tapered arch would help with a smooth transition from the dome to the arch. Here is a link showing how this done on a arch similar to yours. Hope this helps

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post119582

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ok so you don't want it to keep getting wet right, but it's ok if it got wet from my fireclay when I put it down to level my insulation board.
    Correct, in my case i didn't use water, just dry sand and fireclay.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    You want it to eventually dry, also ou dont want the insulation to get wet.
    Ok so you don't want it to keep getting wet right, but it's ok if it got wet from my fireclay when I put it down to level my insulation board.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

You don't have to worry about it raining on the brick for the month or so you're working on the dome?
    You want it to eventually dry, also ou dont want the insulation to get wet.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I got my support for my inner arch complete today on my lunch break. It went faster than I thought. My plan is to put some 2x4's under it with some cedar wedges on both sides to lift to the correct elevation. Once my arch is nice and solid, just slip the cedar shingles out and done

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

You don't have to worry about it raining on the brick for the month or so you're working on the dome?

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

So I've been covering my oven with a tarp to keep it safe from the rain we've been getting up here in Maine. I read in another post NOT to cover it in a tarp and to spary it down. Can anyone verify this? I'm using HeatStop and I thought I didn't need to wet the mortar? Also can I leave the tarp over my oven?

I covered my dome after working on it to keep some moisture in the mortar so the mortar doesn't dry too fast, however you must give it some air to breath also, don't completely cover it. After 1-2 days i would remove the tarp. Basically after the mortar hardens i would remove the tarp.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

So I've been covering my oven with a tarp to keep it safe from the rain we've been getting up here in Maine. I read in another post NOT to cover it in a tarp and to spary it down. Can anyone verify this? I'm using HeatStop and I thought I didn't need to wet the mortar? Also can I leave the tarp over my oven?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    It's steel on all sides. The silver you see is just the result of grinding off my ugly welds

You're lucky to have a metal worker friend. But Stainless also costs about 5x as much for the metal
    He quoted me $150 to make the door. I thought that sounded reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

That is pretty much what I want to do. The only difference is I was going to put some steel on the back side to. Why did you leave the board exposed on the back side of the door?
    It's steel on all sides. The silver you see is just the result of grinding off my ugly welds

You're lucky to have a metal worker friend. But Stainless also costs about 5x as much for the metal

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

What did you make your door out of? SS?
    It's aluminum - filled w/ loose vermiculite. I think it would help if it went into the oven a bit but I can still cook on the third day - not many are doing better than that with our type of oven. Most of the heat loss is going to be under and around the dome - insulate that well and you will be golden.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X