• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K79
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Read the thread on curing in "firing your oven"
    Oh I read that whole thread already. Didn't know if there were any new thoughts on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Read the thread on curing in "firing your oven"

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

So I'm nervous to take the jump to my first fire, but the day is fast approaching. I need to do it next weekend (I have two kids and my wife works every other weekend). What are the thoughts here. First fire up to 300 degrees F and hold it for as long as I can the first time. 350 F the second fire? Seems a little high no?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

K79, it wasn't my intention to alarm you re the inverted arch bricks in your vent, merely curiosity about how you might have set them. I'm sure it will perform ok especially as the vent doesn't get that hot unless you have a raging fire up the chimney. Regarding the lack of a gap between the perimeter of your floor and the base of the dome I don't think you have too much to worry about either because the main reason floor bricks are laid loose is to allow bricks to expand independently. Because of all the gaps between the bricks they should allow enough for the total expansion of the floor.Having said that modular cast oven manufacturers that have floor bricks inside the dome (FB included) all seem to design a gap between the perimeter of the floor and the dome.

In building your oven you want to make it as strong as you can and finished as perfectly as you can. In reality your oven will get dirty and probably develop cracks in places that you made strong.This usually leads to some disappointment initially, but then you get used to your ovens worn in look.
    Last edited by david s; 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

That looks fantastic. I think it will be stable enough. Obviously the front is really strong as the bricks are cut to form the collector - no mortar.

When you build up for your flue you could cut some bricks to interlock at the back. Hopefully you can see what I mean in this photo of my build. I interlocked bricks both front and back. The back ones I ground into a curve to fit the flue.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Thank's Les, That is true, although I do try. I think most of us do. My work hours and maybe, the number of builds going on today, have me sometimes just hitting the high spots.

K79, Most of us probably, don't care, if our ovens last 3000 years Your entry/flu may outlast the majority of the builds on this site. My comment was just based on what the "old folks" (which I am becoming nearer to every day ) taught me. That is, "if it will stand up too a dry stack, it will last" .
    No Gulf - I was referring to the quote I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue

I agree w/ you on the posts - this forum is growing way to big to see and respond to it all. I remember the day when I was watching 1 or 2 builds...
    Last edited by Les; 06-14-2013, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

My .02 would be that your vent is fine, especially when you install your flue. With the steel buttresses you could stand on that arch and not blow it out.

As for waiting 28 days...it won't do anything for you. That is a concrete slab number..generally considered the point concrete reaches maximum strength. It has nothing to do with masonry units....fire away.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    They may have not been reading your thread. I think Gulf and David have a point. I see no compressive load holding in your vent transition bricks. It looks awesome but what is holding them in place when the mortar bond is compromised?
    Thank's Les, That is true, although I do try. I think most of us do. My work hours and maybe, the number of builds going on today, have me sometimes just hitting the high spots.

K79, Most of us probably, don't care, if our ovens last 3000 years Your entry/flu may outlast the majority of the builds on this site. My comment was just based on what the "old folks" (which I am becoming nearer to every day ) taught me. That is, "if it will stand up too a dry stack, it will last" .

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Maybe it's because my oven is small, but my fire covers the entire floor and the IR reads higher anywhere on the floor than the base of the dome, when the oven is heating up at around the time the dome clears.

Taking a closer look at your numbers the expansion of both the circumference and that of the floor are both .54% which would suggest that the temperatures of both are the same at time of measurement.

Comparing one oven to another may not be that helpful in drawing conclusions as the relative thickness of wall and floor are likely to be different and give different readings. (My floor and wall thickness are both the same at 50mm.)
    Last edited by david s; 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I get the same ring, so I understand what you are saying, but other than directly under the fire, the floor, as measured, is always cooler than the walls.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I won't disagree with your measurements TS, but for my ovens the base of the dome is always way cooler than the floor, especially when curing. This is evidenced by the persistent ring of black around the base. Even after fully cured the temperature of the base of my dome, when the whole oven has turned white, is still way lower than that of the floor or the crown of the dome. As thermal expansion is directly related to temperature I conclude that an expanding floor can create pressure on the walls.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Here are the approximate numbers from 80 degrees start to 1000 degrees:

42" dome will expand from 131.94678" circumference to 132.673953365", the floor will expand from 42" to 42.23146666. No problem.

My walls are always hotter than the floor, even at the bottom until it evens out after being doored overnight.

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

My sense from reading the forum is that the notion of an expansion joint around the floor started out as a slightly-overkill precaution and has taken on a life of its own. One builder (I've forgotten who) had significant cracking in their dome and blamed it on a chunk of mortar falling in between the floor and the dome walls. Mind you, I seem to recall that the cracking in this case was mostly a cosmetic problem, as is almost always the case with these ovens.

Since then, a number of builders (myself included) have stuck cardboard or some other temporary and flamable buffer to both create an expansion joint (and probably an overly large joint at that) and more importantly to prevent anything else from falling into the gap. If your bricks are snug, you've probably prevented anything from falling in, and as David and Tscar note, you won't have any problems with the bricks themselves.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

As the base of the dome is the last part of the oven to get hot, particularly when driving out the water, surely it is the last part to expand.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The circumference of the oven will expand much more (relatively speaking)than the floor so it is not a problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X