X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIANLUCA
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Are you kidding me!!! How am I supposed to do that!! great cuts your scaring me with that craftsmanship!! freaking awsome

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Last edited by K79; 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok guys so someone made a comment about one of my brick cuts way back when I was tieing my rings into my inner arch that the small thin cut I made would crack and fall off. I'm concerned that the same might happen to my outer arch design. My main concern is with brick 4 (labeled on the paper in the background and on the top of the brick in my photos). I'm angling my outer arch to have a nice taper to my vent opening. I'm just worried that my outer arch will crack and fall apart. I have 3 1/2" of brick that will always form the arch (the part that isn't tapered). Bricks 5,6, and 7 will be 3: 3 1/2" bricks leaving me a 5.5" vent opening. Please tell me these cuts are ok

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    Is there a specific placement of the inner arch so it will intersect with the dome.
    I made my dome intersect with my arch. I think that's what lead to a little "misshape" at the top of my arch, but I took that out within two courses of brick over the top of my arch. I think if you do a design like mine you're pretty much at the mercy of the inner arch.... not much you can do. If you constantly use your IT you can adjust a little as you go all around your arch. If you don?t use it and match into your arch so it looks good by eye, you?ll really be off once you reach the top.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

Is there a specific placement of the inner arch so it will intersect with the dome.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    Is there's average angle/bevel degree you used for the cuts I know there is a chart on the forum but I was just wondering. Your in Maine I'm I ct I think there will be a delay this weekend start date due to rain!!!!
    I'm stuck in the same rain delay The angle/bevel changed for me on each course by just a little bit. I found that by the time I reached the top of my dome that I was "custom cutting" them. They fit better than my calculations and went faster. Since I'm not a master mason my plans on the computer deviated at some point when they were translated to the real world

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

Is there's average angle/bevel degree you used for the cuts I know there is a chart on the forum but I was just wondering. Your in Maine I'm I ct I think there will be a delay this weekend start date due to rain!!!!

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

doh! I forgot that was you! sorry

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    Looks great to me! We have similar designs! Do you feel the need to buttress the arch walls?
    Check out post #333

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Looks great to me! We have similar designs! Do you feel the need to buttress the arch walls?

Leave a comment:

• chirobuggy
    replied

Looking good K79...Blazin on

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Second wall up:

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Thanks for the info guys. I got one wall in this afternoon and plan on getting the other done tonight.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Ok, I'm working on my arch entry. I know it's not good to have joints line up. That being said, is it ok to line up the joints of my vent wall with my inner arch wall joints? They are independent of each other aren't they? The other option would be to get some 1/2 size firebricks or splits I think they're called and offset the joints if they need to be. They look offset in the photos by about 1/8" but that's obviously because I haven't put any mortar on them yet.
    It doesn't matter if they line up or not, other than personal preference. Neither arch is bonded to the other so, structurally, it is a non-factor.

Incidentally, the need for using steel to buttress the vent opening goes away if the walls are set in Rowlock or Header courses. You have taken things this far...I'm not saying it was a mistake to use steel, just that it can easily be done with masonry.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    I would love to hear what others have to say? The local mason at one of the largest precast companies in the state told me that it should hold up fine to the indirect heat on the outside of the dome.... That being said, I called Conproco and they told me that the temp shouldn't exceed 500 degrees??? What to do??
    Type S is a standard building mortar. The PSI rating (1800 ) is greater than Type N (750 ) because it has a higher OPC (ordinary portland cement ) content. It is no more heat resistant than any other mortar type or concrete which does not contain fire clay. Like any other type of cementitious cladding, it would need some kind of reinforcement for it to remain a structural elemnt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X