X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Why are you waiting? I built a fire in mine within minutes of finishing it, and had it fully cured over a week.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Nice job K79.........I like the smooth transition........How long do you plan to wait before the curing fires start?.........No curing any time soon for me.......progress slow.......... Will try to close the dome this weekend
    I'm waiting 28 days. My first fire will be June 29. Don't rush your dome. You'll get it done when it's done. I know easier said than done. Your's is looking good !

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    i like the shape, but is anything stopping those bricks from dropping? They don't appear to be supported or tied in.
    I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue. I read some threads and was unable to find anyone say it would fall apart. Each brick is one solid piece. Those tapers are cut into one brick. The front 3.5" of the arch is all connected and in compression holding them in place. All of my bricks are tapered really tight. Unless the front of my arch blows out and my tapers crack at their joints there's no way it's coming down. That, the buttress, and the mortar I think I'm all set. Not to mention before I even had the keystone in place the arch was holding itself up. No reason it should fall.
    Last edited by K79; 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Nice job K79.........I like the smooth transition........How long do you plan to wait before the curing fires start?.........No curing any time soon for me.......progress slow.......... Will try to close the dome this weekend

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

i like the shape, but is anything stopping those bricks from dropping? They don't appear to be supported or tied in.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    My outer arch is complete! Pretty happy with the outcome.

Nice gather for the flue..

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Very nice. Neat and clean. Plenty of work left but you will be smelling the pizza soon!

Leave a comment:

• chirobuggy
    replied

Wow, really looks great. I hope I can do as well. Cutting first course and starting mortar tomorrow. I'll be using your build for lots of info for sure...not that I haven't been following it for some time now

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Congrats, K79!
    There will be pizza very soon.
    Nice job!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    You should be happy it looks great.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok, so the plan is to put on 3" ceramic fiber, then do my curing fires (hoping it will extract the moisture evenly with the blanket on), and I'm going to burry it in vermiculite. I noticed a lot of people doing a vermicrete mix... is that because they stucco the dome and not use an enclosure?

From the FB Plans:

As a rule of thumb, FB Blanket provides roughly double the
    insulating value of loose vermiculate (and more than double
    vermiculite concrete, which is less efficient). Here are three
    roughly equivalent insulating schedules.

I noticed that boerwarrior bolted his anchor plate to his arch for his chimney. I was planning on just using some high heat mortar to hold it in place? Would that work... what to do??
    Last edited by K79; 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Looks great. You are very close!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Thanks guys. I was able to get 4 bricks on the left of my arch done and 3 on the right before I ran out of mortar. I'm taking off Thursday from work to finish it up !!

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    replied

That is some serious fancy cuts.

Reminds me of a joke, a guy is cutting bricks for his pompeii pizza dome, and suddenly he has cut off all his ten fingers. He rushes to the emergency room, and the doctor says, "no problem' I can sew them back on and you will be good as new. Give me your fingers"

(wait for it)........The guy says," I didn't bring my fingers, doc"

The doc asks why not?

The guy says, " I couldn't pick them up!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X