• K79
    replied
    Re: K79 Oven Build

Another ring down:

Leave a comment:

• rsandler
    replied

In principle a 1/2" reveal would work fine, in that your door should seal plenty well with 1/2" of contact. However, I'd think that would make fabricating the door trickier--you don't have a lot of room for error if you cut the outer part of the door too large, too small etc. On the other hand, your build so far shows you're capable of a lot more precise work than I am, so that may not be an issue!

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I'm planning on a 1" lip around the outside of my inner arch for my oven door to seal up against on my vertical walls. I'm thinking of making the lip on my arch only 1/2". From experience do you guys think 1/2" is to small of a lip?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

the pressure is outward not straight down, and that little piece breaking off won't cause the upper chains to fail

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Much like ken's build I was planning on resting my next layer brick on this "edge" which would be probably twice as wide, then the next on top of that until I'm back to full bricks. If that comes off then I'm losing my support .... the whole reason I did it... :/

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I think you did a fine, precise cut that will give you a headache in the long run. But, chances are that it will crack and break off at the 90*, which won't effect anything.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Ok so I'm getting ready to put on my last entry brick that will have a groove cut in it to rest my arch bricks. I also had to make a "funky" cut to one of the brick for the ring I'm on so I can gradually bring that ring up against my inner arch. Pics are below. My only concern is it cracking and falling off (kind of thin) and it getting in the way of taking food in and out. What do you all think?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Very good point. Unfortunately I can't stagger my bricks at these locations. Is this an area of serious concern.....???? !!!??
    Looking Good......glad to see no hammering was done..........My advice turned out to be a bugger for me. Hope I did'nt steer anyone down the road of no return.
    My apologizes
    Look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I figured to cover my oven it would take 7 bags at $24/bag. A little more than the $50 you mentioned that's why I brought this up Seems like the consensus is about 50/50 ?

Pics of last nights work. Next ring hopefully goes in tonight.

I put a little firebrick wedge under that back side of each brick. I knew I saved those for a reason:

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Do we have data for this? I am not disputing it, just never seen the data. I am pretty thick with the blanket and added another 3 + inches of vermiculite. After all that, some seem to hold temp longer than me and I don't understand why ( the Pompeii build).
    I'm basing that on using my IR thermometer on my oven when it was going great guns. 900 inside, same as the air temp outside. I have about 4" of insulation and I was trying to figure out if the vermiculite was worth it. I figured there wasn't much point if the outside of the oven was 60 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    3" of CF blanket will be ambient temperature.
    Do we have data for this? I am not disputing it, just never seen the data. I am pretty thick with the blanket and added another 3 + inches of vermiculite. After all that, some seem to hold temp longer than me and I don't understand why ( the Pompeii build).

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Ive got 6-7 inches of CF insulation. Just sayin

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I'm not sure it helps either though. With a roaring fire, the outside layer of 3" of CF blanket will be ambient temperature - so I'm not certain what pouring another $50 worth of vermiculite over the top buys you.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

More never hurts.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Hey guys, I'm putting down 3" ceramic fiber blanket once my dome is complete. The FB plans say I don't need any loose vermiculite over the top. I was wondering what everyone else here thinks?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X