K79 Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: K79 Oven Build

My outer arch is complete! Pretty happy with the outcome.

Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
      You should be happy it looks great.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Congrats, K79!
        There will be pizza very soon.
        Nice job!
        John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

Wow, really looks great. I hope I can do as well. Cutting first course and starting mortar tomorrow. I'll be using your build for lots of info for sure...not that I haven't been following it for some time now

Comment

Very nice. Neat and clean. Plenty of work left but you will be smelling the pizza soon!
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Nice gather for the flue..
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i like the shape, but is anything stopping those bricks from dropping? They don't appear to be supported or tied in.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Nice job K79.........I like the smooth transition........How long do you plan to wait before the curing fires start?.........No curing any time soon for me.......progress slow.......... Will try to close the dome this weekend
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build
                  Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    i like the shape, but is anything stopping those bricks from dropping? They don't appear to be supported or tied in.
                    I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue. I read some threads and was unable to find anyone say it would fall apart. Each brick is one solid piece. Those tapers are cut into one brick. The front 3.5" of the arch is all connected and in compression holding them in place. All of my bricks are tapered really tight. Unless the front of my arch blows out and my tapers crack at their joints there's no way it's coming down. That, the buttress, and the mortar I think I'm all set. Not to mention before I even had the keystone in place the arch was holding itself up. No reason it should fall.
                    Last edited by K79; 06-13-2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                      Nice job K79.........I like the smooth transition........How long do you plan to wait before the curing fires start?.........No curing any time soon for me.......progress slow.......... Will try to close the dome this weekend
                      I'm waiting 28 days. My first fire will be June 29. Don't rush your dome. You'll get it done when it's done. I know easier said than done. Your's is looking good !

Comment

Why are you waiting? I built a fire in mine within minutes of finishing it, and had it fully cured over a week.

Comment

I've seen others that have done it this way and asked prior and nobody mentioned it was an issue. I read some threads and was unable to find anyone say it would fall apart. Each brick is one solid piece. Those tapers are cut into one brick. The front 3.5" of the arch is all connected and in compression holding them in place. All of my bricks are tapered really tight. Unless the front of my arch blows out and my tapers crack at their joints there's no way it's coming down. That, the buttress, and the mortar I think I'm all set. Not to mention before I even had the keystone in place the arch was holding itself up. No reason it should fall.
                          I think David means the bricks between your two arches that curve up toward your flue - which appear not to be tied into the arches on either side. Most builders stagger the center bricks into the arch on either side so they're supported by the arch, not just the mortar. If you built it without tying the bricks into the arch, and the mortar bond between the middle bricks and the arch bricks to either side breaks - then they could drop into your oven. Not saying it will. But I could see how it could happen. But then you also could have them sitting on top of your arch, which one couldn't see in that picture.
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'm waiting 28 days. My first fire will be June 29. Don't rush your dome. You'll get it done when it's done. I know easier said than done. Your's is looking good !
                            Seems a little conservative. I may have waited a week because of a short vacation. Came back and went full throttle out of the gate - zero cracks. There is no guarantee that time is the answer. I have a driveway that is 20 years old and it's getting cracks
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                              I think David means the bricks between your two arches that curve up toward your flue - which appear not to be tied into the arches on either side. Most builders stagger the center bricks into the arch on either side so they're supported by the arch, not just the mortar. If you built it without tying the bricks into the arch, and the mortar bond between the middle bricks and the arch bricks to either side breaks - then they could drop into your oven. Not saying it will. But I could see how it could happen. But then you also could have them sitting on top of your arch, which one couldn't see in that picture.
                              Take a look at post #354 and #355. There are no bricks between my inner and outer arch. There is only my inner and outer. Those cuts you see I cut into my outer arch bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                                Seems a little conservative. I may have waited a week because of a short vacation. Came back and went full throttle out of the gate - zero cracks. There is no guarantee that time is the answer. I have a driveway that is 20 years old and it's getting cracks
                                Might be but I have so much going on here to keep me busy why not wait...

As far as your driveway... pavement is a little different than masonry I'ld say if you got 20 years out of your driveway thats pretty good, especially if you live in a freeze/thaw environment.

Comment

Working...
                                X