My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

You generally replace the whole head unit if the bearings go bad. It will be obvious if they are, aside from the noise, the blade will wobble.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      Place the pump in a separate 5 gallon bucket of water that you refill as needed. The brick fines play havoc with the HF pumps. I think Tscar also said to wrap the pump in cheese cloth and place in the bucket as well. By doing this my HFsaw pump lasted my who build.
      Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      The saw table should have either a plug or be made in such a way that the water will overflow in one particular place. Put the bucket under that. Terry cloth works well too.

Thanks guys
      Heres my version:
      The over flows drains into dirty bucket and a fresh water bucket for supply
      Last edited by kbartman; 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Good morning all,
        Woke up this morning and I pondering thermal expansion, and thermal breaks in my dreams??.. LOL? The oven floor resting on ceramic fiber board is free floating. The first soldier course surrounds the floor and the gap between them is approx. 1/8?. Will the expansion gap cease to exist once it is fill will ash? What is everyone thoughts on this? Please help point me in the right direction I don?t want my dome to crack, so I want to give this very careful consideration while I?m laying out and cutting my floor.
        Thanks,
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Only the WFO gods will determine whether your dome cracks or not. To some degree all ovens crack somewhere and at different degrees of severtiy. The gap will fill with ash, nothing you can do about it, does it decreases it's purpose, maybe maybe not. One thing that you can do to help maximize the exp. joint purpose is to prevent mortar from falling into the gap during your build. Make sure you cover the gap with duct tape during the dome construction to keep the mortar from falling in.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Not going to trust WFO gods.
            I think I'll put in a request to my God. If that be his will, I have a lot better chance. .
            So yesterday I had a pretty successful for day. I started out on the wrong foot though. If anyone can remember one thing while reading about this build. If you change the material size go back and revise your drawings. To make a long story short, I had forgotten that when I was researching firebrick. That I had base all my drawings on a brick that was 4 x 8 x 2 ? “, they were $1.10 each at my local masonry supply, which was along the line of the price in FB plans. The fellow at the supply house told me that he did not think they even made the 9 x 4 ?” X 2 ? “ bricks anymore and assured me that they were the right bricks for job. After completing my oven stand I thought a little more on the firebrick. I wanted to stay as close to the FB plans, and as close to the materials that FB sells with their Pompeii Oven Kit. My concern was that the smaller firebrick might change the already proven thermal mass of the oven. I ended up finding the larger firebrick at a local refractory supply. It matches the brick in the FB kit, all though it was pricey $2.50 each. I don’t know if the brick prices have went up since the FB plans were completed. But I do know one thing. The $1200 estimated oven completion is long gone. So to sum things up I now have a 39” oven. I don’t think I’ll notice a difference.

PS.
            Had shut down for rain delay. I hope I can keep the floor insulation dry after I lay it.
            Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM. Reason: added pics
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Stuck inside, so I thought I would post a few and loose my title as a Serf and become a Peasant.

Here's my take on the Harbor Freight saw:

After cutting my first brick and eliminating my fears. I decided to give the HF some maintenance.
              Here are a few points and pictures if anyone cares.

Lubricate the darn thing as pointed out in the pictures.

Good water supply is key to successfully cutting bricks with very little dust: as shown in the pic. I will still wear dust mask.

Don’t let the plastic tubing get so old and brittle, that it falls apart in your hands. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time finding a replacement quick connect fitting or spend hours digging out the old tube with a paper clip to reuse it.
              Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013, 04:32 AM.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Yippy I just became a Peasant
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Woke up this morning and I pondering thermal expansion, and thermal breaks in my dreams…….. LOL… The oven floor resting on ceramic fiber board is free floating. The first soldier course surrounds the floor and the gap between them is approx. 1/8”. Will the expansion gap cease to exist once it is fill will ash? What is everyone thoughts on this? Please help point me in the right direction I don’t want my dome to crack, so I want to give this very careful consideration while I’m laying out and cutting my floor.
                  As visions of WFO's danced in my head, this idea woke me up this morning.:

I was wondering if anyone had incorporated the use of ceramic fiber rope or band between the first soldier course and the oven floor. I think this would allow expansion and also not allow the gap to fill with ash. Any comments our suggestion?
                  Last edited by kbartman; 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Don't overthink it.

Comment

LOL.... someone always has to hit me up side the head and gets me moving.... I tend to get lock up on things and don't accomplish much...... I guess thats just the way the Man upstairs made me.
                      Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                        As visions of WFO danced in my head, this idea woke me up this morning.:

I was wondering if anyone had incorporated the use of ceramic fiber rope or band between the first soldier course and the oven floor. I think this would allow expansion and also not allow the gap to fill with ash. Any comments our suggestion?
                        Try it and report back. A weak vermicrete mix will do the same thing.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

KB,

You given any thought of whether you will taper and bevel you dome bricks. If so, I did make an inexpensive jig to cut both the taper and bevel at the same time for a HF cheapo saw or you can look at my thread for pics. Good luck, the fun is beginning.
                          Russell

Comment

I'd say that an expansion joint would only be needed if you were to use different materials between hearth and dome. The one between dome and outer arch is to minimise heat bleeding out to an area that doesn't benefit the oven.

As Mr T said "don't overthink it".

Cracks will be cracks, the mechanical design takes care of that too. if the outside is bigger than the inside, it won't fall in!

Good luck!!

Comment

You given any thought of whether you will taper and bevel you dome bricks. If so, I did make an inexpensive jig to cut both the taper and bevel at the same time for a HF cheapo saw or you can look at my thread for pics. Good luck, the fun is beginning.[/QUOTE]

Yes Utah, or should I call you by name?
                              I plan to come up with some type of jig. Somewhere on the forum I saw a nice brand new wet saw that incorporated the vertical adjusts.
                              I ain,t got that kind of money. I bet it set him back grand or two.

I believe you replied to me a little while back on your jig, which you said you used scrap cuts to set the that angle I was wondering how that work for ya?

I think spending the little extra time to cut those bevel is well worth it. I also been wondering about the rounded floor cuts I?ve seen on the forum; not sure how they were done. I was thinking of making angle cuts to match straight face on the first solder course. Not sure how that would work.

PS.
                              Thanks everone for the support I was ready to pull my hair out a few days ago. its all coming together now. keep posting
                              Last edited by kbartman; 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Sorry for repeating myself on the jig. If you are going to taper and bevel as jig is very helpful. since each course, assuming it is symetrical (ie, use a IT) has basically the same taper and angle for that course. A jig helps you make consistent cuts. It work very well for this purpose. If you are not tapering and beveling then the jig is probably not in the cards. As far as the round floors, I did one, you can do it on wet saw by slowing feathering the cut, little slivers. However, if you are not building an igloo style and doing an enclosure, you can build the dome right on the floor bricks and not have to deal with the round floor cuts.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X