My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

I think I went through 3 blades for my build. First one lasted maybe 4 or 5 courses? Last one I used for the veneer and all the clinker brick trim and it still has a little life in it.

But, it depends on your brick. I think mine might be light duty which is easier on blades.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

You are pushing too hard or not using enough water. The blade should not flex, and it should only have 3/8" to 1/2" of segments to start. A good 10" diamond blade will cost a hundred bucks or more, and one designed to cut firebrick will make thousands of cuts.

Comment

I use 1 blade per build.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I should note I used the HF blades, which only cost about $25 after discounts. I might have used one blade if I hadn't had to recut so many things...
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
            I seem to have lost about a ? ?of the saw blade already, and it is flexing when starting at the edge of the brick. I?ve been helping the blade to stay true at the beginning of the cut by holding a scrap wedge against the blade to stop the flexing. It seems to be getting worse.
            The blade is bent and will wobble for ever.

Good blades cost good money, when you buy a blade make sure that you can see the diamond particles in the matrix otherwise you are wasting your money.

A processional brick cutter I used to use when I was bricklaying used to spend $600 per 16" blade, you can buy the same sized blade for $50 but its a throw away job.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I think it was a cheap tile saw blade I pretty sure it is worn out. I'll take you alls advice while shopping for decent one. This blade has no segments and and is very thin. But does not wobble it only flexes when cutting on the edge of the brick. I think I may have thinned the blade by hold the wegde against the side causeing the flexing to increase as the side of the blade was worn down. I seen some a couple of blades at Lowes for around $50 not sure how good they are.

Again thanks for all the help.
              Last edited by kbartman; 04-15-2013, 05:45 AM.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I picked up a few blades at Harbor Freight and one at lowes and didn't see a great deal of difference. I ended up using 3 blades, the third is still in the saw and good. The key for me was not forcing the cut, making sure the brick didn't rotate any which way during the cut and keeping the water flow running strong.

You may find that the alignment of the saw is not in line with the rolling bed. There are instructions for adjusting the alignment here on the site..

Chris

Comment

Ok, I went to Lowes and Home depot. In the tile section all blades did not mention use on brick. I went to the tool section and found a Rigid Brand blade for $65 it is segmented and is a little less than 3\16". Looks like it is a very aggressive cut and mentions for use on brick............at Lowes I found a Kobalt blade for $45 non segmented and mentions for use on brick it is a little less than a 1\8" thick........... I bought both, not sure which one I will use....... I might have night mares if I use the aggressive Rigid brand as the thermal mass of my WFO are ground up into a fine slurry.

I am using very little pressure and have good water flow also no dust while cutting ...... Thanks Chris I will check into the bed alignment.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

The segmented blade will work better.

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                      But does not wobble it only flexes when cutting on the edge of the brick.
                      All blades deflect if the is little or no brick on one side to hold it true.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I finally accomplished something. Cut the lintel out on Saturday……sky is the limit for dome and insulation………. The lintel is no longer a hindrance ............., although it will bring new challenges into the enclosure and chimney. ........ A crappy pour in the original lintel opened up a can of worms ...... One of the reasons I did not want to disturb the lintel. ...........So Yesterday I spent resolving that issue......... On the left side I drilled and epoxied rebar it to the existing lintel to the new poured cells. I feel confident the solid pour and rebar tied to the footer will be more than ample support for the pool wall.

Today I place two layer of 2” CB onto the hearth and temporarily secured them with scrap lumber Tap Con to hearth. Once the oven is in place I figure I trim the CB to the oven walls and place the insulating blanket around this.

I need some advice setting the floor on fire clay sand mortar bed.
                        Should I wet the CB?
                        Should I start the floor in the middle, side, front, back?
                        Should I cover the entire area with the sand fire clay or just a portion at a time?
                        Last edited by kbartman; 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

The way I understand it, the fireclay is used to level your oven floor. If it's level you don't need any fireclay. I'll be curious to see if I'm correct. Your getting there !!
                          Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

kbartman, you should be good to go on the floor and dome. Your rigid insulation is as flat as flat can be. Brick on!!

Chris

Comment

Maybe if I would have used a better quality board, I might be able to get away from using it.......... The box the insulation came in, said China on it..........Not saying anything
                              The joints are of some concern to me. The bricks seem like they may rock a little.
                              Last edited by kbartman; 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Gudday
                                Your sand fireclay slurry for bedding the hearth bricks will have the moisture sucked out of it by the board making it hard to set the hearth. Simple smear a layer of margerine over the board to stop this.
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X