Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Would it work to put a plastic sheet under the template?
    I don't see how. I figure I have two options build the arch all at once and remove the support while motar is still damp then clean the mortar out, or revise my arch support
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      I don't see how. I figure I have two options build the arch all at once and remove the support while motar is still damp then clean the mortar out, or revise my arch support
      I was able to clean the joint after I discovered my folly, with a screw driver and a damp rag not sure about the next joint.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Try to place the spacers to allow you to clean the mortar that may squeeze out. Something I did not do. It is easy to clean the mortar joints and brick face with a damp sponge while the mortar is still setting up. If you wait to clean it up after you remove the arch. You will either chisel or live with it
        I thought the mortar was falling through the template to the floor. Still not sure the area you are referring to.

I lost track of where you are in your build. Any recent pic? Bruce
        Link to my build here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Gudday
          Now I understand the battens holding you arch guide are not allowing you to clean the mortar from the face of the brick against the guide. So what mods move the battens obviously ..... If you removing the guide consider cutting out someof the face with a jigsaw might make it easier to access. Particularly for the top bricks
          Hope this helps
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Guys,
            Here are a couple of pics.

The first shows the arch support/template and a temporary layout to determine brick cuts. The second is after I cut the plywood face to clean the joints and brick face.

Only after I set the next course of bricks did I realize my 2x6 spacers were too close to the sides to allow easy cleaning. The areas of concern are on the lower sides and top. The sides I was able to clean the first joint with a screw driver and rag. The next course will prove further ingenuity. The one on the top I feel after I set the last 3 arch bricks I can remove the support and clean. I considered moving the side 2x6 spacers but thought I just may be able to squeak by. I spent a considerable amount of time installing and leveling the support arch I would not like to have a do over

Thanks for your comments and suggestions
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I'm using a square edge trowel about a 1 1\2" I bought a V type trowel also and haven't found it useful. I am using Demon High heat mortar a Premixed in 3 gal pail made by Plybricko. When I opened the pail the first time quite a lot of liquid was on top after mixing the consistency of maybe peanut butter but a lot more slippery. I found that in order to get a good bond on all surfaces was to apply a very thin layer of mortar to all joining surfaces first, then butter for thickness. I am shooting for 1/8? joints. Which to my surprise was the just about enough with very thin layer first applied. Carful on tapping brick this will affect the adjacent fresh lay of brick. A wiggle works best to squeeze out excessive mortar. I tightened the mortar joints on the next courses.

Ps. Soak bricks I was suprised of all the air coming out of the brick when placed in water.

Hope this helps
              After working night shift the last few days, I did some inspections on the courses that already lay. I have been trying to keep the mortar moist as possible with spray bottle and water hose. The suppliers ask me if I understand the Demon mix was for tight joints under 1\4". Understood but thought I might get away with the joints between the courses being a little larger. I?m now not so sure.

Attached are some pics of the curing I think I will use the bevel scraps between the following courses any suggestions is appreciated.

The sides of the oven that get morning and afternoon sun shows signs of premature curing

Ps. The dreded Lovebug season has began.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I use the thinset pre made stuff and yes it will shrink in larger joints, just apply some over the cracks to fill when done.

Do the love bugs fly around your head saying "giza a kiss, go on, giza a kiss"...
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  Do the love bugs fly around your head saying "giza a kiss, go on, giza a kiss"...
                  They are mostly too preoccupied for that . They are usually flying around in pairs Another name for them down here is "telephone bugs", because they usually just say "hello" and hang up

Check out Love Bugs here.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

We get a similar bug here too, they swarm in their thousands, some of our neighbours resorted to spraying them, the bugs are totally harmless.

To demonstrate how harmless they are to the neighbours I picked up a big ball of the bugs, waited a second or two then let out a blood curdling scream, you should have seen the looks I got as they all ran away.....

Insect of the week: The Plague Soldier Beetle isn’t nearly as bad as it sounds | News @ CSIRO
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                      As they say here, bugger.
                      Does this breed new meaning into the word "Bugger" Pun intended
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Finding the spattered remains of the Lovebug eating away the finish of your brand new truck. ?Bugger?
                        I suspect the Soldier beetle finds roots in the saying ?Bugger???..some of us up hear in the land above are not so refined.?!$#$#@&%*@&%????..LOL
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

looking good ...
                          Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Is this workable with no center keystone? Just the way it worked out.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Keystones are for looks more than anything else.

Comment

That may change once you get mortar in there.
                                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Working...
                                X