Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    The lintels are 3.5 X 5.5". I used 1/2" rebar for reinforcement. I precast and then later set them in place. They, possibly do carry all the weight, but I did place 5-1 vcrete in the void underneath. This pic was taken just after removing the forms for the vcrete. I later packed vcrete in the rest of the space across the span.

I used the 2" removed form each face brick as an added space for vcrete for added insulation.

My lintels doubled as corbels. If you are using whole brick, you could possibly notch the bricks on each side and hide them from side view.

This is not "the" way to do it. It is just the way I did it. You are getting some great advice. The steel lintels will also work just fine in a non high heat application. You just have to decide what you are comfortable with .
    Thanks Gulf,
    I had to look up Corbels I went back and studied your picture album. It's beginnings to become clear to me and how to build my chimney. Thanks to everyone's help.

I know I'm getting expert info and I'm grateful for everybody's help. I sure I'll ask many more redundant question. My apologizes for being the slow one on the block. I tend to overbuild from lack of knowledge and stupidity. Error on the side of caution helps my sleep at night.

Thanks all for putting up with me.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

Thanks all for putting up with me.
      Awwh shucks, thats alright.....
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Awwh shucks, thats alright.....
        YUK................I take all back
        Last edited by kbartman; 08-03-2013, 05:56 AM.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

If sealer is a must then I recommend this....Miracle Sealants Company
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

..... My hearth pour tends to puddle in the middle under the oven. I tried to trowel a hump during the pour and was unsuccessful. So I drilled holes in the middle of the puddles to help drain, it if water entered the enclosure. During the tropical storm Andrea at the first of this summer my insulation soak the water up like a sponge.....
            That is something you should address with flashing or something. A sealer like the one I recommended won't keep standing water out for long and using a surface sealer won't help anything but absorption.

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be good if you take some perspective pictures...no macro shots....it's better to see the whole area.
            Last edited by stonecutter; 08-04-2013, 06:11 AM. Reason: typo
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              That is something you should address with flashing or something. A sealer like the one I recommended won't keep standing water out for long and using a surface sealer won't help anything but absorption.

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be god if you take some perspective pictures...no marco shots....it's better to see the whole area.
              I was thinking the same thing. How are you finishing the back of the oven? Igloo or housing? A housing will easily keep things dry.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Colin, not only am I slow to catch on I'm pretty sure I'm dyslexic. My original plan was the segmental arch. I thought you were asking me why I changed it to a semi circular arch. After rereading my explanation for the about 10th time and reading the other post I finally caught on. My apologizes again.

Attached picture with arch names and a good technical reading PDF
                I think its me that needs to apologize and is being a little slow. I had the terms arse about. so you are doing the arch the same as your vent arches.....Sorry about that.
                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be good if you take some perspective pictures...no macro shots....it's better to see the whole area.
                  Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. How are you finishing the back of the oven? Igloo or housing? A housing will easily keep things dry.
                  I'm planning on building a house type enclosure outside the pool wall and my screen enclosure. The gable end of the dome house enclosure will be against the back side of pool wall and chimney. I think I will be able to control water entering here with flashing, probably step flashing on the back side of chimney. Inside the pool enclosure will be the front and sides of chimney and oven landing with no roof over. This is where my area concern about water intrusion is.

My first priority right now is to set one section of flue pipe then modify my temporary tarp enclosure to allow me to fire the oven. The temporary enclosure will also allow me to insulated, build the permanent enclosure, construct the raised oven landing and the chimney to the point where it will exits the pool screen enclosure. at that point I should be able to remove the tarps and finish the additional height of chimney.

I will try to get some picture and some drawing posted later.

Thank a million.

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                  I think its me that needs to apologize and is being a little slow. I had the terms arse about. so you are doing the arch the same as your vent arches.....Sorry about that.
                  All's cool Colin, thanks for taking a interest.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Stonecutter,
                    Here are a couple of pictures to help you understand my puddling issue.#1pic: Any water pouring or dripping onto the hearth will come in contact with the floor insulation. #2pic shows: I have since rendered a 2" X 1/2"strip of mortar next too the insulation to help stop this. Although I'm sure over time it will crack. I'm thinking a bead of roof cement or something would be more permanent.

On the front of the oven I will be raising the hearth by a 4" pour which I intend to slant toward the front of oven. I hope this help clarify things.

Let me know if you need any different pics or drawing.
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

It is obviously too late for you now, but it is a good idea to slope the supporting slab down slightly to the outsides so water is not encouraged under the floor.sometimes a crack will develop where the outside shell meets the supporting slab. It is a good idea to seal these up if they appear.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That mortar isn't going to stop any water, it's totally porous. but if you put a housing over it you will be fine. The tricky point is going to be where the housing meets the wall. If you go with a peaked roof, the point where it meets the pool wall is going to be a tricky flashing job. Can't tell from the pics how tall the wall is, but if it is not too tall, I would think about a shed-style roof that runs from the top of the wall down to a short wall at the back of the slab, just to not be worried about leaks.
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Stonecutter,
                          Here are a couple of pictures to help you understand my puddling issue.#1pic: Any water pouring or dripping onto the hearth will come in contact with the floor insulation. #2pic shows: I have since rendered a 2" X 1/2"strip of mortar next too the insulation to help stop this. Although I'm sure over time it will crack. I'm thinking a bead of roof cement or something would be more permanent.

On the front of the oven I will be raising the hearth by a 4" pour which I intend to slant toward the front of oven. I hope this help clarify things.

Let me know if you need any different pics or drawing.
                          A picture capturing the whole area would be a little more clear, I'm not seeing what is above the oven.

As mentioned, the mortar won't keep moisture out for long. But, if the parge is completely bonded to the board then I have a suggestion. Get a hold of some RedGard and coat the mortar and the slab about 4" out from your oven footprint. I would take it a step further and score the slab about 1/8" deep so that the liquid membrane acts as 'flashing' and will essentially 'tuck' into the slab. This way you have waterproofed the insulation with something until you get the oven dried in and it is suitable to pour concrete on top....unlike most paint or tar based material.

RedGard TDS

I have used this product..it's user friendly and very good.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I want to repeat that your mortar parge should have a good and complete bond...the success of RedGard ( or any other brand of elastomeric membrane) depends on it. If there is any doubt, chip it off and redo it....it would have been better if it was portland cement instead of mortar, but it will work.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                              I used this stuff. It is ceramic fiber, has held up really well. No problems at all

Kaowool Caulk Details
                              Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              KB,

I used Uni Extreme high temp caulk. It is made by McGill Air Seal and contains no hazardous stuff although it was used in an area that does not see food contact.
                              Wow, $43.85.... a tube for UNI-EXTREME VS Kaowool Caulk $19.50 a tube plus shipping. Is it that much better or is my quoted price out in left field?
                              Last edited by kbartman; 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Wow, I guess I got a deal, I bought 4 tubes of Uni Extreme at a surplus store for a buck a piece. I was grumbling about sending some of my surplus tubes to other WFOs at $5 for postage. Wish I had bought the whole case now. Oh well.

I go to this store every Friday and will scrounge around again. If they have anymore I will let you know.
                                Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X