My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

I think a handmade terra cotta tile would look great on that...or a Noce unfilled tumbled travertine.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

G'day KB
      Congrats.... Very nice result !!!!

Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

• Re: tools and techniques

A good paint job is my only hope. I used this high temp caulk for the heat break. seems to be holding up well.Kaowool Caulk Details
        [/QUOTE]

Has it gone hard or is it still flexible?
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

In a word exemplary, in another amazing, oh what the he'll, WOW
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Congratulations. That is quite a project and I am sure that whatever you decide to finish it with will be as tastefully done as the rest of the job. An aspirational and inspirational build!

I hope it brings many memorable gatherings.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

how are you keeping your inner entry arch bricks from going black on the outside. I notice the inside has carbon deposits and the flue appears that way too. But the outside if the inner entry arch???????
              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks all, for the compliments and support, I could not have made it with out you aaall's help...... My Darn Yankee accent is showing ......opps

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                Very nice, KB! We should start a 4-arch club!

Neil
                4-arch club, sounds like a good idea, although I don't think I would qualify.... There is a fifth on the back side. I hope I'm not labeled copy cat, just inspired by your build. I will accept your nomination to the club if the offer still stands.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                I think a handmade terra cotta tile would look great on that...or a Noce unfilled tumbled travertine.
                Yes, terra cotta we like what your thinking, Thanks

Originally posted by david s View Post
                A good paint job is my only hope. I used this high temp caulk for the heat break. seems to be holding up well.Kaowool Caulk Details
                Has it gone hard or is it still flexible?
                I can still indent it with my finger nail. I think Dee used it on his build and told me about it. I wonder how his is holding up.

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                how are you keeping your inner entry arch bricks from going black on the outside. I notice the inside has carbon deposits and the flue appears that way too. But the outside if the inner entry arch???????
                I'm not, they get black as well as the flue. I was using a wet sponge to clean up some stucco and noticed that the carbon deposits on to the vent area floor that had fell from the flue while working on the chimney cap. I thought what a mess, so I took the wet sponge, wipe them up from the floor. Seeing the mess on the inner arch bricks, my anal retentiveness kicked in, and the carbon wipe right off and easily rinsed out of the sponge. I have too add I do get some clearing on the upper inner arch when oven up to temp. I think that is evidence that my thermal break is doing its job. I'm so glad a I was inspired by the other builds to make the effort to incorporate them.... Thanks again all
                Last edited by kbartman; 03-15-2014, 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling etc...
                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

4-arch club, sounds like a good idea, although I don't think I would qualify.... There is a fifth on the back side. I hope I'm not labeled copy cat, just inspired by your build. I will accept your nomination to the club if the offer still stands.
                  Nominated and unanimously accepted!

Comment

Ok guys I need some help deciding.

The low profile look is not going to be a option. I diffidently want the smoke and heat as far from the patio as possible. So I have come up with two options:

Plan A:
                    Use the original stainless chimney extension.

Plan B:
                    Fabricate a inexpensive chimney pot out of the clay flue liner.

I don't like all the shiny stainless. I think it detracts from the oven. I thought the clay pot would blend in better, But after placing it I don't think it would work, the profile looks kind of funny. The decorative tile you see is being considered as part the back splash. It has some silver in it and may help tie in the big shiny thing. I thought about attaching it to both plans, but not sure how I can attach it to the stainless.

What do you all think? Do you have any comments or suggestions that may help?

Ps:
                    Or plan C paint the shiny thing high heat black to match the lights and future cabinet door hardware???
                    Last edited by kbartman; 03-15-2014, 06:48 AM.
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Wrap the SS Flue in 1/2 inch ceramic blanket, Wrap the shape in expanded wire, then cement tile backer board and cover with your tile. You will also need to fabricate flashing for just under the screened cap to keep water out from behind the tile. I would also find some corner tiles to match your flat tiles to give the corners a nice finish. Make sure you use SS screws or pop rivets to hold it together,

It might look real nice. Just a thought.
                      Chip

Comment

This being all strictly aesthetic opinions, and you did ask, so.....

If you are trying to stay true to an overall feel and design continuity , then ditch the metal. IMO, a big black box is going to detract from the final finish.

To me, the finish of your oven begs for a real chimney pot, and not a clay flue liner 'pot'.

Here are a couple of sources - http://www.claychimneypots.com/catalog.php

http://www.claychimneypots.com/catalog.php

Personally, I like the Mediterranean for your oven, though I would apply a gloss enhancing sealer to make it look glazed. Chimney Pot Shoppe

They are not cheap, but a good chimney pot should last a lifetime.
                        Last edited by stonecutter; 03-08-2014, 07:55 AM. Reason: info
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Chip's idea is a great idea to help tie everything in together. IMHO, the metal cap shape helps tie in the lower angles in with the whole build, where as the clay tile shape seems a little out of place. If you want to have less work at that height, consider painting it the metal cap the same color as your stucco....to help tie the metal cap in to the base.

jon
                          jon

Comment

Flue tiles are meant as a liner and are subject to cracking because thet're thin if exposed to cold temperatures on the outside. You may get away with it because it's so far away from the fire.
                            Stainless won't stay shiny. It may take 12 months or so, but it will turn a kind of pewter grey with a brown tinge. Paint it if you don't like the colour, or don't want to wait to see what colour it turns out to be.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Flue tiles are meant as a liner and are subject to cracking because thet're thin if exposed to cold temperatures on the outside.
                              He's in FLA, a clay flue would last a long time down there...not that he should use one though.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                                Wrap the SS Flue in 1/2 inch ceramic blanket.......

It might look real nice. Just a thought.
                                Thanks Chip, sounds like a viable idea. I would need to fabricate it on the ground no sure how much it would weigh though. May be difficult to set in place.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                This being all strictly aesthetic opinions, and you did ask, so.....

If you are trying to stay true to an overall feel and design continuity .......

Personally, I like the Mediterranean for your oven, though I would apply a gloss enhancing sealer to make it look glazed. Chimney Pot Shoppe.

They are not cheap, but a good chimney pot should last a lifetime.
                                SC thanks,
                                I like the pot you suggested and agree with the look, although it would not fit the 8x18 flue of mine. There are not many option in that size..

I'm getting a price on this: Chimney Pot Shoppe. Cheap their not.........I think that one might work, although there might not be much money left when the wife finishes here shopping.............. I gave the old patio furniture to the in laws with out pricing replacements....oops...... 8000 to 9000 K to replace................. I did not realize the good stuff costs$$$$

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
                                Chip's idea is a great idea to help tie everything in together. IMHO, the metal cap shape helps tie in the lower angles in with the whole build, where as the clay tile shape seems a little out of place. If you want to have less work at that height, consider painting it the metal cap the same color as your stucco....to help tie the metal cap in to the base.

jon
                                Thanks jon,

Your idea may win out. The cheapest easiest and quickest. A least for a time being. I need to get my oven fired back up......I'm suffering from withdraws

I think I will a least start with dulling the shiny with some bead blasting. That should help the paint adhere if I so desire to paint. Then decide if a high heat paint is a option, the high heat white may not match. Black ???? naaaa.

Stainless won't stay shiny. It may take 12 months or so, but it will turn a kind of pewter grey with a brown tinge. Paint it if you don't like the colour, or don't want to wait to see what colour it turns out to be.
                                Thanks David, I really don't want to paint it. I think my bead blasting will speed the process. Maybe if I glue my decorative tile in the center of it, that may tie it all together. It's worth a try, and I can get my oven fired back soon. It will also leave all the other options open and give my time to justify a expenve pot.

I wish I could photo shop these ideas on to my pictures, then I could get a idea before I did any more work. I'm about wore out and ready to relax and cook..

Thanks again all
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                                X