My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

You could always get sheet copper and fabricate one.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      You could always get sheet copper and fabricate one.
      You love to spend my money don't ya? .........Wonder how much that will cost..?
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
        You love to spend my money don't ya? .........Wonder how much that will cost..?
        Not really, you're doing that just fine without me...Mr 8k on patio furniture.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          Not really, you're doing that just fine without me...Mr 8k on patio furniture.
          I didn't say we went and spent that, just that she want to. All I can say is that someone is not getting their way.
          Last edited by kbartman; 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM.
          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I did say we went spent that, just that she want to. All I can say is that someone is not getting their way.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Isn't that the truth!
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

KB,
                You have done a GREAT job on your build. I have been following your build from early on. I am quite overwhelmed on your perseverance on details and technique of design. Great job. Whatever you do on your chimney should not affect how your pizza or other foods cook or how they taste. Do what you want or need to do. If, if the future you are not happy with the chimney you can always change it.

Keep posting pics!!!
                jon

PS: patio furniture is non-consequential to how good food from a WFO is.
                jon

Comment

I didn't say we went and spent that, just that she want to. All I can say is that someone is not getting their way.
                  I had to edit that last post my, proof reading sticks.....now you can all see why its taking me so long: many mistakes.

Agreed, if momma ain't happy nobody is.............I have to say momma may not be happy, but I'm pretty sure stonecutter's going to be upset that I choose a different solution other then the expensive clay pot. I'll post my solution when I get a chance, pretty sure it will make me happy anyhow .
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

It makes no difference to me what you choose. The same if advice is taken or not....you know what they say about opinions anyway.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I was able to get my temperature monitoring system up and running over the weekend. Attached are a few pics to show some detail. The temperature controller is mounted in a swing out configuration that can be neatly tuck away to preserve ambiance and satisfy a few critics. I still need to finish the aux jacks and put on the permanent switch location labels and face plate. My final plan is to use the output of the controller to some how control oven temp. If anyone would like some further detail or has any questions ask I will try to help.

Here are my locations:

1 Enclosure top outside insulation air space
                      2 Top of dome inside brick, 1" from face
                      3 Top of dome on outside brick face
                      4 Right side mid dome inside 1" from brick face
                      5 Right side mid dome on outside brick face
                      6 Floor right on outside brick face
                      7 Floor center on outside brick face
                      8 Left side mid dome inside 1" from brick face
                      9 Left side mid dome on outside brick face
                      10 Aux 1 temperature jack
                      11 Aux 2 temperature jack
                      Last edited by kbartman; 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Wow! That is quite the setup. What are you using to read the temps? Looks like a PID controller. Is it?

Seems like it's a passive/reactive temp reading setup - not sure how you'll use it to control temps - but I look forward to hearing what you're thinking about.
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I know it's been awhile Dee, don't know if you ever seen the below posts but it was your suggestion that got me such a great deal on the controller. Cant' say thanks enough. A read out only was much more expensive. Controlling temps with it, will be a experiment in the works. I just find it hard to not use the controller to its full potential.......... Much more work to do before I can play with that though. ............Concrete countertops, then oven and cabinet doors then maybe I can play

Cool idea Dee I hope to purchase a PID controller to display my temperature read outs.
                          Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          KB - One last comment on the fan controller thingy.

PID controllers and Thermocouples can be had pretty cheaply at AMZN. $47 for this combo with the SS Relay. Amazon.com: IMAGE? 25A SSR-25DA Solid State Relay with Heat Sink+ Manual/ Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller SNR: Home Improvement

I think if you combine that with a a couple of PC processor cooling fans (which should be able to take the heat at the door given what they are designed for) + a piece of steel for the door, and I think you're close to the parts you'd need.

But I don't mean to muck up your thread. I'll start a new one if I ever get going on the idea.

Oh - and Russell - I did exactly the same thing to my Rancilio! but now we've upgraded to an Izzo Alex Duetto which is fantastic. But that's another topic for a whole 'nother thread.

Hey Guys,

No worry about mucking up the thread, this discussion is all good here.

Dee,

Thanks for the great info. I just purchased that controller less the relay, heat sink and added a thermocouple that is better suited to install in my oven door for a grand total !!!!!!!!!!!! wait for it.....................$5.83 Let me say that again.......... $5.83.............................. I got free shipping and a $30 instant savings ..........

I didn't know amazon had such great deals. I can't thank you enough Dee.

Colin,
                          I have access to scrap thermocouple extension wire, so my cost is just my time to twist the two extension wires together and tape. The only reason I used the fiberglass tape, was the extension wire I used was only good to about 480F. I figured taping them would keep the two PFA insulated wires from shorting together before the formed twisted measuring junction which makes the thermocouple. With the tubing I used as thermo wells , I can easily pull out and replace if they go bad. A 100ft spool of fiberglass insulated wire rated at about 890F would be better suited not have to be taped, allow for multiple configurations and locations for about 60 cent a foot. TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control

Don't get me wrong the premade's are a great deal and would probably hold up better, But having a spool on hand allows one to customize and repair on a whim.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Oh, yeah. That was a while ago! I still haven't gotten anywhere on the fan/door idea. Been playing around with a another project that called for thermocouples and SSR's and pots and such so very much top of mind. Maybe I will fab something up for the door idea this summer. I have a welder and the parts are cheap. shouldn't be too much trouble!
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Wow kb.. talk about elaborate.very thorough.

That underneath picture needs much more explanation.

I have gone for 10 positions.But have not made mine permanent. I am using a stainless steel probe.

I will make hearth tc permanent.
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-02-2014, 01:28 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                                Wow kb.. talk about elaborate.very thorough.

That underneath picture needs much more explanation.

I have gone for 10 positions.But have not made mine permanent. I am using a stainless steel probe.

I will make hearth tc permanent.
                                I will try to explain. The larger 3/4"conduit on the far right of the picture brings power in for lighting and receptacles. The receptacle and power is GFIC protected. The light in the corner is switched by the switch next to the power receptacle. The other two switches are dimmer type to light the oven outside.

The larger 1/2" flex leaving the gray enclosure and tying to the five smaller J-boxes along the ceiling (one not seen in picture) carries the thermocouple wire to there locations. The thermocouple wires leave the back of j-boxes and enters the tubing leading to the end where the temperature is sensed.

The last picture was before the j-boxes were mounted. Noticed each chase has the insertion depth noted to facilitate full insertion during installation and future replacements.

Hope this helps, any further details needed just let me know
                                Last edited by kbartman; 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                                X