Bartman, you've done a beautiful job!
    Chris

Link to my photo album:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      Looks great, you did a pro looking job with the undermounted sink too.
      Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
      Bartman, you've done a beautiful job!
      Thanks guys,

It's going on about a year and a half of my free time...........I think it's time to sit back relax and enjoy ..............for awhile.

Daughter's High school Graduation party on Saturday. I would like to have had my cabinet doors installed by then, but don't think I'll meet the dead line.
      It will be a day of celebration, as she is the youngest of my three children.
      Looking forward to having a great time.
      Last edited by kbartman; 06-03-2014, 08:03 AM.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
        Finally, I got the counter tops completed, took me forever.

I had to complete the flashing under the vent area floor before I could set the center top. I think it should channel any driving rain from entering the insulation beneath the vent area floor. The flashing allows the water to be channel underneath the countertop and drain away from the insulation.

Still lots to do:
        Build cabinet doors. The cedar you see on the sides are only temporary. scraps from my buddies' kitchen remodel

Tile back splash, still looking for ideas on tile choices, suggestions appreciated.

Finish chimney extension and touch up painting.

Build oven doors for holding heat and different type of smoking and cooking.

Add flood lighting above oven on screen enclousure.

The list goes on and on
        Kbartman, I was thinking on the same lines with the flashing. I had a stainless pan, 3 sided, made up. It has 3 inch legs turned upward.But what I did different right or wrong is I had the pan made 9 inches wider than the vent width. So the pan is to the outside of the vent brick. First I mixed up some sand and portland cement, a little on the rich side. I troweled this from the front of the oven entry towards the outside of the vent. I did this too get "positive" pitch out of the vent. Then I simply set pan into the grout and tapped it in place, fastened with a couple lead drives at the outside corners to prevent movement of the pan. Next I cut the vent brick on each side wall to get back to level. I would say in the 16 inch depth of my vent, I have at least a 1/2 inch of pitch. Now I am trying to decide my next choice. I would like to put 1 3/16 thick granite in the vent and firebrick rips under the granite. Hence no insulation in the vent area. Give me your thoughts, What type of caulking did you use in the vent area? Is it fire caulk, what temp does it burn? What did you do with the thermal break joint? Thanks Wayne , alias Campmaki

Comment

Thanks, Beehiver I borrowed your design for a tapering and bevel jig. I made one small improvement, hope you don't mind. I added a vertical adjustment. Recess cut to allow for zero adjustment. Wing nuts for quick adjustments and setup. Marine varnished hopefully the wood does'nt swell......Time to build......just do it.......Hope works out for me.
          I patterned my jig right off your build, worked beautifully. Thanks KBM

Comment

Hi KB has been a while.

That looks great an amazing build and all but finished. Think I have a ways to go yet.

Rest for you not far away.

I still have

Keystone in decorative arch, more fun and time than anything else.
            finish dome render
            render base
            sliding draw in base for tools
            sealing coat over dome
            make door if I learn TIG welding [have no idea and in practice have made some bloody big holes

some detail items

then I get stuck into the area either side and behind oven.

then rest of yard
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Good luck with that Colin. At least you have a plan. A plan is good.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                Kbartman, I was thinking on the same lines with the flashing. I had a stainless pan, 3 sided, made up. It has 3 inch legs turned upward.But what I did different right or wrong is I had the pan made 9 inches wider than the vent width. So the pan is to the outside of the vent brick. First I mixed up some sand and portland cement, a little on the rich side. I troweled this from the front of the oven entry towards the outside of the vent. I did this too get "positive" pitch out of the vent. Then I simply set pan into the grout and tapped it in place, fastened with a couple lead drives at the outside corners to prevent movement of the pan. Next I cut the vent brick on each side wall to get back to level. I would say in the 16 inch depth of my vent, I have at least a 1/2 inch of pitch. Now I am trying to decide my next choice. I would like to put 1 3/16 thick granite in the vent and firebrick rips under the granite. Hence no insulation in the vent area. Give me your thoughts, What type of caulking did you use in the vent area? Is it fire caulk, what temp does it burn? What did you do with the thermal break joint? Thanks Wayne , alias Campmaki
                Would love to see some pictures of your drip pan. Mine was a after thought, would have worked better as you described. I still think it will serve the purpose.

I used a 3m fire barrier sealant caulk. not sure what the temperature rating is but sure held up to the weather and the heat on my temporary chimney cover vent. The other caulks I used I was not happy with. it seemed to be the best option at the time.

My heat break is a combination of insulating fire brick stainless steel tube and ceramic fiber rope, band and koalwool caulking.
                Last edited by kbartman; 06-10-2014, 07:41 PM.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                  Hi KB has been a while.

That looks great an amazing build and all but finished. Think I have a ways to go yet.

Rest for you not far away.
                  Thanks Colin. You will get there....Rome was not built in a day.

I was able to get the tile back splash completed this week and the grouting done, post pictures later.

The daughter's graduation party went well, every one loved the WFO.

PS Campmaki, temporary chimney cover picture that I used the caulking on.
                  Last edited by kbartman; 06-11-2014, 06:38 PM.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Would love to see some pictures of your drip pan. Mine was a after thought, would have worked better as you described. I still think it will serve the purpose.

I used a 3m fire barrier sealant caulk. not sure what the temperature rating is but sure held up to the weather and the heat on my temporary chimney cover vent. The other caulks I used I was not happy with. it seemed to be the best option at the time.

My heat break is a combination of insulating fire brick stainless steel tube and ceramic fiber rope, band and koalwool caulking.
                    Kbartman here is a picture of my pans design. What are you using for your vent floor? What is going to be under your finished top vent floor surface? Are you insulating under that floor? Do we need to insulate the vent floor? I came up with the flashing pan so my insulation under the dome would not wick water, so why would we put insulation under the area that has the greatest chance of getting wet?

Comment

Because insulation is not about waterproofing. Since you don`t live in the rain forest, rain is just a minor inconvenience, but every time you fire your oven without insulation heat will be wicked into you support slab, which cost you both money and time.

Comment

No, you don`t need to insulate under the vent area. When we have typhoon season, water is driven into my landing and wick under my hearth and after I bitch and moan, I light a fire, dry it out and cook something.

Comment

Sounds like you can tell it is wet?
                          Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Hi Nova,

Yes, it took 3 typhoons before I figured it out. I had noticed that the energy efficiency had dropped off greatly, but had not connected it with the heavy rain of the typhoon, because some time the lag time of a typhoon and my cooking could be a week or two. The day after the third typhoon, I went out to the oven to take out some wood that I had dried after the last usage, and my landing was wet, when I removed all of the wood I noticed that the hearth was wet. I then connected the two, once the ceramic fiber board is wet, it stays wet until the water is forced out with heat, a lot of heat, days of heat. Now, when there a typhoon warning I will start a big fire the day before and feed it until the typhoon, have the door at he edge of the landing, so that the rain that lands there is evaporated and my insulation is dry.

Comment

Yep laurentis is correct. I didn't have any insulation under the vent area at all. unnecessary. overkill. I did insulate between the vent and oven hearth.
                              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Kbartman here is a picture of my pans design. What are you using for your vent floor? What is going to be under your finished top vent floor surface? Are you insulating under that floor? Do we need to insulate the vent floor? I came up with the flashing pan so my insulation under the dome would not wick water, so why would we put insulation under the area that has the greatest chance of getting wet?

Campmaki,
                                Looks like we stirred some good discussion on this subject. Thanks for posting the picture of your pan. I wish I had done my pan more similar to yours, I think it would have worked better. My vent area is already completed as your are still in the build stage. Hopefully we can help other not to make the same mistake I made.

The thinking on insulation in my vent area was that I would be using this area for grilling. I thought the hot coals on the firebrick in this area would transfer into my concrete hearth below and would case issues later. So I extended the insulation under my dome into the vent area.

Back to your question's:

What are you using for your vent floor?
                                Firebrick on top of the drainage pan over my insulation.

What is going to be under your finished top vent floor surface?
                                The drainage pan.

Are you insulating under that floor?
                                Yes, my dome floor insulation extends into my vent area.

Do we need to insulate the vent floor?
                                No, I'm glad I did. It gives me the option to have hot coals in my vent area for grilling. Although grilling inside the oven with its intense heat has added value. I have not grilled in my vent area since I have set my stainless steel drainage pan, I hope it will not cause any thermal expansions issue in my vent area. The rainy season has began here in Florida and the pan seems to be doing it's job.

I came up with the flashing pan so my insulation under the dome would not wick water, so why would we put insulation under the area that has the greatest chance of getting wet?
                                I think Stonecutter gave me the idea for the drainage pan after I extended insulation this area. Right or wrong I believe it has value and hope it may help others in there build and designs. I hope this help clarify and answer some questions,

Thanks again all for making my build a success.

Attached is a pic of my finished vent area. The drainage pan below the firebrick channels water that enters the vent area below the countertop and out the front of the oven.

Ps. I finished the tile on my backsplash hope everyone likes
                                Last edited by kbartman; 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                                X