• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

Stonecutter,

I like the idea with the Redgard. I looked it up online and they listed Home Depot as a distributor. I'm stopping by there after work hopefully they'll have it. Cutting a 1\8" groove around the oven also sound good.
    Reminder: clean that cut really well, and leave no dust in it or on any surface you want to apply the liquid membrane.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

KB
    when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

There is 6 inch and 4 inch CMU behind my brickwork, it orked nicely for providing a solid fireproof platform fo my roof trusses. The 4 inch was used at the areas where the dome came closer to the wall so I could maintain my insulating layer thickness.

Above the CMU in the triangle area was cement board flush with the surface of the CMU. And then the brick venier goes to the eaves of the roof.

The roof trusses are welded 1.75x2.0 galvanized steel I-beams used for farm fencing.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks Guys,

Slowly but surely.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I would build block or frame the sides and build a shed roof almost exactly how your tarp is set up in picture #5....if you don't mind me saying.
    Stonecutter,

You've read my mind. After finishing the temporary enclosure I sat back for a look and the exact same thought came to mind. Something on the smaller and lower side though. Although I like the shade it provides. Winter time shade with the sun further south would probably be non existent. Still pretty warm in the sun during the winter, in Florida. Lower would be better.

I like the block idea. Lots of decisions to be make

Well started the vent stack.....I'm thinking three more courses them set clay flue on top. Any thoughts and suggest are appreciated.

Ps,
    Temporary enclosure had a good test run today. All's dry.
    Last edited by kbartman; 08-08-2013, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

KB,

Long haul, and turned out very nice. Top notch brick work.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I would build block or frame the sides and build a shed roof almost exactly how your tarp is set up in picture #5....if you don't mind me saying.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Beautiful brick work, an oven to be proud of.

Great screened in pool area, no bugs....

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Very nice, not long now to some fun times with the oven.....

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

New perspective pics.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    It is obviously too late for you now, but it is a good idea to slope the supporting slab down slightly to the outsides so water is not encouraged under the floor.
    Dave,

I tried to slope this with my trowel after screeding. If I had to do it over again I would have started with a lower hearth pour and then added a 2" raise platform for the oven and landing to sit on. Oh well!

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Can't tell from the pics how tall the wall is, but if it is not too tall, I would think about a shed-style roof that runs from the top of the wall down to a short wall at the back of the slab, just to not be worried about leaks.
    Dee,

The top of the oven dome is about 2" to 3" above the pool wall. A flat shed style roof is not a option at this point. Although raising the pool wall might be. I'm not sure how that would look.

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    A picture capturing the whole area would be a little more clear, I'm not seeing what is above the oven.
    Stonecutter,

I like the idea with the Redgard. I looked it up online and they listed Home Depot as a distributor. I'm stopping by there after work hopefully they'll have it. Cutting a 1\8" groove around the oven also sound good.

Attached are some old pics with a further away perspective. When I remove and raise the temporary tarp structure, I'll try to take some better ones

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Ok great!!! Thanks Utah

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Wow, I guess I got a deal, I bought 4 tubes of Uni Extreme at a surplus store for a buck a piece. I was grumbling about sending some of my surplus tubes to other WFOs at $5 for postage. Wish I had bought the whole case now. Oh well.

I go to this store every Friday and will scrounge around again. If they have anymore I will let you know.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I used this stuff. It is ceramic fiber, has held up really well. No problems at all

Kaowool Caulk Details
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    KB,

I used Uni Extreme high temp caulk. It is made by McGill Air Seal and contains no hazardous stuff although it was used in an area that does not see food contact.
    Wow, $43.85.... a tube for UNI-EXTREME VS Kaowool Caulk $19.50 a tube plus shipping. Is it that much better or is my quoted price out in left field?
    Last edited by kbartman; 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I want to repeat that your mortar parge should have a good and complete bond...the success of RedGard ( or any other brand of elastomeric membrane) depends on it. If there is any doubt, chip it off and redo it....it would have been better if it was portland cement instead of mortar, but it will work.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Stonecutter,
    Here are a couple of pictures to help you understand my puddling issue.#1pic: Any water pouring or dripping onto the hearth will come in contact with the floor insulation. #2pic shows: I have since rendered a 2" X 1/2"strip of mortar next too the insulation to help stop this. Although I'm sure over time it will crack. I'm thinking a bead of roof cement or something would be more permanent.

On the front of the oven I will be raising the hearth by a 4" pour which I intend to slant toward the front of oven. I hope this help clarify things.

Let me know if you need any different pics or drawing.
    A picture capturing the whole area would be a little more clear, I'm not seeing what is above the oven.

As mentioned, the mortar won't keep moisture out for long. But, if the parge is completely bonded to the board then I have a suggestion. Get a hold of some RedGard and coat the mortar and the slab about 4" out from your oven footprint. I would take it a step further and score the slab about 1/8" deep so that the liquid membrane acts as 'flashing' and will essentially 'tuck' into the slab. This way you have waterproofed the insulation with something until you get the oven dried in and it is suitable to pour concrete on top....unlike most paint or tar based material.

RedGard TDS

I have used this product..it's user friendly and very good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X