• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I missed why you wanted to off-set the throat. Does it have something to do with how you want the chimney to exit your roof?

As for the thermal break, it's a simple easy thing to incorporate it. Maybe you need it, maybe you don't...but why not.
    Thanks Guys,

The offset was my hair brain idea to allow for more oven landing counter. By pushing the flue back a couple of inches allowing oven face to also be push back giving me more counter........ My original plan was to leave the lintel of the pool wall and use it to support the chimney, with the flue in front of the lintel. I had added additional insulation under the oven, which push the oven dome and insulation into the lintel making me revise my plan. Now I looking for suggestion on how to support the rear of the chimney. I have a few ideas but have not finalized them.

As far a the floor thermal break it seams too me the stainless tubing is the popular option. Although I will probably incorporate Gulf's idea into mine and place some ceramic band on the oven side. I think that will give me the best of both worlds.

My plan for the oven counter is to pour a additional 4 1/2 inches to bring the front of the stand to within 2 inches of oven floor. Incorporated the reinforcement for the counter and any needed chimney reinforcement. My plan is polished concrete counter. Not sure how much I can over hang the oven base, still researching and looking for suggestions.
    Last edited by kbartman; 08-01-2013, 02:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

A thermal break can also act as an expansion joint if made of a flexible material. This can be useful in reducing cracks to the outside decorative arch by both reducing the temperature differential and physical pressure from expansion of the inner parts of the oven. Think twice about using a heavy, dense, conductive material in this space.
    Regarding the radiant heat from the oven mouth, I have a sheet of 500 x500 x 0.55 mm stainless as a landing in front of the decorative arch, completely outside the oven, on my mobile oven and when it's really cranking the radiant heat ( that Dave spoke about) is so strong and the stainless so conductive, that you can't hold your hand on it.
    Last edited by david s; 07-31-2013, 03:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I missed why you wanted to off-set the throat. Does it have something to do with how you want the chimney to exit your roof?

As for the thermal break, it's a simple easy thing to incorporate it. Maybe you need it, maybe you don't...but why not.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I completed my outer arch/vent while I contemplated the floor thermal break. I need your all's help deciding which way to go. We still have some time to decide while I remove the arch support and work on the vent area floor. I was hoping someone might fire up their oven and take some readings with there IR temperature gun on each side of their floor thermal break and compare.

Anyway I decided to ditch the vent offset and took your all's advice that this would be a weak point. Plus the added complication in brick cutting, I choose a simpler version. I hope you all agree and approve with my solution, I'm done and hope it's sufficient.
    Last edited by kbartman; 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks all,
    I been working 12hr days all weekend and have not had time to respond. I appreciated all the good information. I have the next few days off and hope to get some work done on the oven.

Thanks for the info on the sealers. Great discussing going here on the thermal floor break. Good point Dave, on radiant heat, which I had not considered in measuring the performance. I like Gulf's idea and simplicity of the ceramic band. I will have to do more digging on the forum. I need to complete the outer arch and vent before I can get back to the floor thermal break. I was hoping to find some good performance data on different ways and compare. This would help me with my indecisiveness.

Thanks again for all the help. I got to get some work done on the WFO!!!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    I have no heat break myself but I do see them as a good idea especially in colder climates than my own. I just thought it was timely to point out that a certain amount of the heat in the entrance is radient. That is radiates through the air from the oven itself and that would account for some of the temperature measured here rather than that coming through the heat break itself.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

KB,

I used Uni Extreme high temp caulk. It is made by McGill Air Seal and contains no hazardous stuff although it was used in an area that does not see food contact. Like DJ I stuff the air gap with ceramic rope and caulked over. I have a floor thermal break, SS tubing, does it make a difference, I don't know since I can't compare as if brick were there.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I used a tube of the Caulk, along with CF rope

I haven't done any comparison of different types of floor (or any other) thermal breaks. I only have one oven

In terms of impact, I think the break between your dome and arch is more important that the floor break. Heat rising and all, you will lose more heat through your arch if it is connected to your dome than you will through your floor. The floor is the first part of the oven to cool so I would worry less about that break. A simple piece of metal tubing is fine (and ignore bad math of others talking about the difference in conductivity. It's just two thin planes of metal that can conduct heat...)

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    I'm also wondering if your and others have compared the performance of the different type of floor thermal breaks?
    I did a comparison for the inner and outer areas near my TB's, you will just have to find them on the forum, they are here somewhere......

There is a very noticeable difference so the TB's are worth the effort to conserve heat.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I think it would work. I have seen where others have used similar. Look back again though, if you will to my other post. The link for page 10/post 93 in it shows how I did my floor break. I used 2 runs of a 3/4" flat gasket material. That left about 1/4" of space at the top that I have let fill in with ash that hopefully separates the fibers from the floor surface.

Gulf, I went back and read about your floor thermal break. I missed it the first time. I need to take more time reading with wealth of info here on the forum. I find myself skimming over the posts and missing the details. I have some left over fiber banding material that I used around the over floor next to the dome wall that should work. I wondering how is yours performing and if you have taken any differential readings?

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I used this stuff. It is ceramic fiber, has held up really well. No problems at all

Kaowool Caulk Details
    Dee,
    Thanks for the info I appreciate and value your opinion. How much did you end up using?

I'm also wondering if your and others have compared the performance of the different type of floor thermal breaks?
    Last edited by kbartman; 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I used this stuff. It is ceramic fiber, has held up really well. No problems at all

Kaowool Caulk Details

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    ...........................What you all think about this for my floor thermal break? Grainger
    I think it would work. I have seen where others have used similar. Look back again though, if you will to my other post. The link for page 10/post 93 in it shows how I did my floor break. I used 2 runs of a 3/4" flat gasket material. That left about 1/4" of space at the top that I have let fill in with ash that hopefully separates the fibers from the floor surface.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    KB,
    I am sorry about not replying to this question sooner. I've had a lot going on on the "home front". If I understand correctly, I think that you are describing a thermal break similar to what I did. """""""""""""""""

I hope this helps to get you an answer .
    Thanks Gulf, I Just read your last post after submitting my last post. I'm very slow at composing these posts as you can see by the posted time between your and mine. Thanks again.

Ps.
    What you all think about this for my floor thermal break? Grainger
    Last edited by kbartman; 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Just went back and was reading everyone's posts on my thread. I appreciate everyone's help thus far. I could not have made it this far without your input and all the great info and pictures found on this forum. Thanks a million!!!!

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    No, you don't need rebar in a chimney especially on corners....that is the strongest part of masonry structures, and without being encapsulated in concrete, rebar running up the corners will do nothing structurally.

Correct. For example, just look at some of those huge furnace chimneys or ones that stand in place after a home has burned or crumbled around it.... No bracing, used.

I haven't made much progress since returning from vacation the rains and my indecisiveness on my chimney\vent are hindering me and have brought me to a stand still..............I was hoping of coming up with a plan by now..........Thanks Stonecutter, You are right, I don't remember any rebar in any old chimney that I've seen.....That gives me a better perspective on building a brick chimney.

I trying to figure out how I would support the back side of the chimney over the dome that will be covered with 4" inches of insulation. I'm wondering if I could span this area with metal support of some kind and how I could fasten the bricks to this support?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

KB,
    I am sorry about not replying to this question sooner. I've had a lot going on on the "home front". If I understand correctly, I think that you are describing a thermal break similar to what I did. (Page 10/post 93, and Page 11/posts 102 thru 106)

I used the Rutland Black to seal both the inside and back side of the thermal break. I later, cleaned as much of the sealer from the inside as I could. To me it looked like crap. Since then, I have seen others who have found other "caulks/putties" that had better food safe remarks in their product descriptions. I think that Russell (UtahBehiver) And Dennis (Deejayoh) both found more suitable materials for sealing the inside gasket. Maybe they or someone else will chime in on this thread.

I hope this helps to get you an answer .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X